difficult child 1 is HOME!!

T

TeDo

I LOVE the regular psychiatrist assigned to the kids wing. I had just argued with our county social worker who REFUSED to believe the behavior was caused by his medication since he's been on it for 2 months. I reminded her that the exact same thing happened after 2 months on Risperdal and that the behaviors went away within a week of it being d/c's. Ten minutes later the psychiatrist calls to tell me difficult child 1 is laying on his floor covered with a blanket and not talking to anyone. She went on to say that there is really nothing more they can do there since it will take 2-3 weeks for the prozac to get out of his system. She then said that she wishes they had a wing specifically geared for kids on the spectrum because a lot of there rules only make these kids worse. We are to continue with the programs we have already begun, keep the tenex going for a month and then see where things are at, and set up Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) services to help difficult child 1 learn to put things into words so he doesn't have to rely on behaviors to communicate.

We couldn't get him out of there fast enough. I asked about the 72 hour hold and she said that they never tell you that it can be stopped if the psychiatrist does not agree there is a need for that amount of time. County social worker was actually "planning" on difficult child 1 going to a placement to "learn to follow other people's rules". UGH!! He does when his thinking isn't clouded with chemicals that are messing with his brain functioning. I guess we'll just have to show her that I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the good vibes and prayers. You guys are AWESOME!!!!!

tiredmommy

I can feel your relief coming through loud and clear. :)

You know what's weird? Two months. It's pretty common mom knowledge around here that you'll see adverse reactions at the THREE mark :3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. It must have something to do with his metabolism.

T

TeDo

We've had an awesome evening. He has not exploded over ANYTHING and he seems so much calmer. Even difficult child 2 being his annoying difficult child self was handled beautifully. Keeping my fingers crossed.

buddy

she wishes they had a wing specifically geared for kids on the spectrum because a lot of there rules only make these kids worse.
Oh wow, my sister and I just said this tonight. I bet if the place he is now had a little wing with even 10 beds it would be full all of the time. Imagine each room set up for an individualized sensory experience.... just have the stuff ready to go and based on the needs of the kid set it up with heavy blankets, soft music, no scents or yes scents, whatever. It would just not be that hard. And the food.... dont let it touch, be flexible, etc. Have the rooms all set up with non verbals..we went thru it all.
There are enough of us here to start a program like that. Wouldn't it be amazing?

So how is difficult child feeling? i wish the medication didn't have such a long time in the system. Dumb county worker...what the heck. When my difficult child was switched from a daughter waiver to the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) waiver, it switched to be case managed by a public health nurse. she has been wonderful thank heaven. Whoever works with our kids need so much more training on how Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids are so different. Really, even if not the medications it would not be appropriate to send him to a place to teach him a lesson. She would never say that about a non-verbal child with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) who did that I bet. I think kids who dont look as involved just get treated like doo doo sometimes.

happy youre home (a little jealous too, smile!) Such a relief.

L

Liahona

Kids go to phos when they are in crisis. Of course they aren't going to follow rules. If they were they wouldn't be there in the first place. When they get out of the crisis they just might be able to follow rules. Does she plan on an out of family placement for every kid there? Glad you got him away from her.

I hope for a calm time while it gets out of his system.

T

TeDo

He asked at 9:00 if he could go to bed. I reminded him that he was home and he didn't have to ask. He is very tired and is curled up in his bed with all HIS quilts tucked in around him. I think we will all sleep good tonight. Buddy, I am still praying, pretzeling and rattling. When you decide where to "start" with your Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) wings, let me know. That's a bandwagon I'd be HAPPY to climb on.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:bigsmile:

Sounds to me like the psychiatrist has a clue. I want one of those!

And the SW? GRRRRRRR. Bet she hasn't even a typical teen to deal with.

keista

So glad he came home and things a re a bit calmer for you.

YAY for that psychiatrist! BOO on that case worker. Poor kids who suffer due to her power trip.

DDD

I'm so happy to read that you all are back in the safety of your home. Hoping the rest of the medication clearing time goes well and difficult child can stabilize soon. Hugs. DDD

buddy

How did the night go. Did he sleep well? Is he going to school today? I'm anxious to hear how he is, praying he feels safe now that he is with you. He went through such trauma. I hope he can process some of it with you. All my love, Dee (buddy)

T

TeDo

I just got up and see remnants of food so he must have gotten up during the night (that started with the prozac too). He is in bed with his brother now so I hope he is sleeping okay.

My kids do online school here at home and it is flexible so we will maybe start REALLY slow right now. I don't want to overwhelm him. His lead teacher and SpEd case manager are aware of the hospitalization so that won't be a problem.

The social worker has an older teenager and a tween. They are definitely NOT difficult child's in any way. They are actually such easy child's it makes me sick to think any mother can have that. It just isn't fair.

buddy

Oh that is great. I hope things go smoothly. I am off to hospital for beginning of meetings etc. I meet his therapist. I met doctor on phone last night and for a second during our visit. Should be interesting. My continued luv!