difficult child is going to get evaluated

JKF

Early this morning around 2 am difficult child posted a "goodbye" letter on Facebook. Basically it says he's tired of living and then he said goodbye to all of his family individually. He named us all and wrote personal goodbyes. I had no idea this letter got posted until I woke up at 6 this morning and saw 10 missed calls and text messages from concerned family members.

So I contacted the shelter director and she had someone check that he was there. He was in fact there sleeping. I then sent her the letter and that got her attention. He's now on his way to the hospital. He's very angry at me and text messaged me saying thanks a lot for telling on me and that he hates everyone. Ugggh! Well damn right I told! I feel that letter was a very clear cry for help whether he did it to just vent or not. You don't write something like that and not expect people to take it seriously! I'm feeling sad -and torn but I know I did the right thing. I hope he can finally get some help now!!!

SuZir

You certainly did a right thing. An only sane thing in fact. That was either cry for help or manipulation or both, but the good thing is, that it made it possible to get him evaluated and have a chance for help he sorely needs.

I pray they are able to get him actually accept some help in the hospital.

buddy

I hope they keep him and that he accepts some help. You did exactly what he knew would happen when he posted that. You did the absolute right thing.

JKF

Ugggh! So there's a problem bc he's in a different state and his insurance is from here in NJ. I hate hate hate insurance issues! They are trying to figure something out. I may have to cancel his coverage here so he can get coverage there.

He's also telling them he's fine and he was just writing his feelings . Said that he'd never actually go through with killing himself. I have a feeling this isn't going to work out quite as well as I hoped. If he doesn't want the help they can't force him.

JKF

Ok he's at the hospital ER. Insurance stuff is figured out. Now to get back to praying he gets help. He seems cooperative and agrees its time. I really hope he's serious and not just blowing smoke up my behind!

dstc_99

You did the right thing! Glad to hear the insurance stuff is getting worked out and he is on path to get some help.

JKF

I know I definitely did the right thing but my heart is so heavy today. Just because it's right doesn't mean it's easy. I hurt for him because I know how much pain he's in. He's so sad and so angry about all of the bad things he feels have happened to him in his life. He feels like there's no hope for him. I can actually feel his pain and it makes me so sad. I really hope something good comes out of this.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
JKF, I'm sorry your heart is heavy, I completely understand how you feel, the sadness of it all. Sometimes there really is nothing we can do but send them love and pray for them. I will say a prayer for him too. Many hugs for you too Mom.

JKF

Thanks RE. I'm actually handling this rather well. Much better than ever before so I know I'm moving forward. However I just can't help to be sad for him in this situation. I know what it feels like to be alone and think there's no one out there who loves you. I went through that in my early 20's and it was horrible.

He just called from the ER. He's "bored" and wants to sign himself out. I talked him into staying. I know the psychiatric evaluation process is a LONG one and difficult child is not known for his patience.

I am praying with you that something good comes out of this. Glad he is still waiting for the evaluation. I understand your sadness because i am having the same feelings for my difficult child but stay strong.

rejectedmom

I have been in your shoes. It is hard but necessary to call when they make threats. I am glad he is getting help and hoping that it makes his life better. -RM