difficult child is Put on Lexapro

WSM

We had a psychiatric evaluation today and difficult child was put on lexapro. We thought he should have been put on something years ago, but the psychiatrists just didn't want to, one even yelled at husband for 'wanting to put your kid on medication'. We'll see what happens. I sure hope, hope, hope it makes a difference. Even if it only helps a bit, that will be a relief.

DDD

I personally have very little experience with medications but Lexapro really helped me get over the hump a couple of years ago when too much stress began to get to me. I hope it helps him, too. Hugs. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
This very well may help. I know that it is one medication that was discussed for Wiz' Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and suicidal tendencies. It also has helped a number of others here, and their kids too.

Depending on what is behind his other issues, the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is usually treated at first with paxil. The therapeutic amount of paxil for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is HIGHER than for other disorders. It may be that the lexapro would need to be higher to get the full effect, though I am NOT sure. Lexapro may also help with the other disorders, though I am clueless about the various disorders.

Hopefully things will get a bit easier for you.

helpangel

Not meaning to be a "wet blanket" but please be very careful when giving anti-depressant medications to a child. Many have benifitted from these type medications but some others have had problems; my Angel is one that had problems. Keep in communication with prescribing doctor and report any and all changes you notice. If it is decided to discontinue it in the future, do this under strict supervision also - problems can occur with many AD's if discontinued "cold turkey".

I do so hope this medication helps him, it is so difficult to see a child suffering - we as parents tend to suffer right along with them. Fingers crossed