difficult child update

toughlovin

Hi Everyone,

Well I thought I would give a quick update....I had been pretty worried about difficult child as he has not been super communicative with us which is always kind of a red flag.... and yet I also think it is not unusual for a 22 year old guy to not always keep up with his mom... especially given that our relationship is not easy or real close.

Then I saw an actual FB post that was positive!! The first one I think I have ever seen, about how things are better and for that he is grateful.... kind of AA type talk. Hmmm. And then he got in touch and we saw him this weekend... only of course because he wanted something.... but he looks and seems pretty good.

Hopefully he gets a review at the place he is at on Tuesday and if he gets the ok can look for a job... he actually went on a job interview and would have gotten the job except he cant start until he gets the ok and they were not going to hold the position.

So I am feeling somewhat hopeful again...... but of course with a whole lot of caution.

At least for now he seems to be doing ok. i do wish we had a closer relationship but I think too much has happened for it to be easy between us.... and that will take a lot of time. But the seeds are there at least.

TL

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Nancy

It sounds hopeful TL. You may never get back the relationship you once had with him but you can have a new one hopefully that is built on love and respect for each other as adults.

Kathy813

Staff member
At least for now he seems to be doing ok.

I have learned that is all we can ask for when dealing with a difficult child. I am glad you have this respite and hope it continues.

~Kathy

toughlovin

Thanks.... I think this dealing with a difficult child with substance abuse starts teaching us about taking one day at a time..... I am just having to let go of the future with him and be glad he is ok for today. I am going to see him this aftertoon so I will get a read on him but good or bad I have to just take it for today.

Childofmine

one day at a time
TL, I am rereading this thread today in hopes I can follow in your footsteps. I just want to accept what is and be at peace.

toughlovin

Saw difficult child today.... he is looking good. I took him shopping for some clothes which he needed. Nothing unreasonable. We actually had a very pleasant time... talked some current events. Got a sense more on where he stands on some issues... not that different than me actually. :)

He has gotten to like the halfway house he is at... likes the other guys. And interestingly said he is not looking over his shoulder all the time. I asked what he meant... well the urine tests are no big deal because he knows he will pass them (meaning he is clean), and he is not breaking any rules!!

I Said that must feel good... he says I dont think about it all the time but yeah when I do it does feel good!

He is allowed to look for a job now so hopefully he will lfind one.

But it was a nice afternoon with him.

TL