disability question

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Steely, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    I am new in the process of getting help from the government - and I need some help. I think my difficult child qualifies for disability - right? Where do I start the process of getting that? Also, what else would he or I be eligible for that you guys know of?

    I am in the process of throwing my X in jail for owing me almost 100K in past child support (he has never paid a dime - and it's been 12 years). And now I also need health ins. - which I guess is medicaide?

    Any advice would he helpful - I feel lost and overwhelmed with this for some reason.
  2. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member

    Just get his medical records, his school info and either go online to social security.gov or go down to the local office to make an application. The more information you are able to hand them when you turn in the application the faster it goes.

    Be prepared to be turned down initially and have to appeal.

    As far as insurance, go to social services and apply for medicaid. That can be approved while waiting for ssi.
  3. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    Thanks Jane -

    Is disability the same as SSI? Because I got turned down for SSI because I own a house. I thought disability was different.
    Sorry - I don't know why this all seems so complicated to me.
  4. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member

    What do you mean you got turned down because you own a house? Do you mean you own more than one house? Or just the house you live in?

    The reason I ask that question is you can own the house you live in and a car to drive. You can have so much in resources. There is a limit...I think its 2000 in resources after you dont count certain things such as the house you live in, the car you drive, and certain other things. I own my own house. I get social security disability but I was eligible for SSI but I get too much disability income to be eligible for SSI so I only will be eligible for medicaid. Its a nightmare of paperwork.

    Maybe I should explain further.

    There are two programs.

    Social security disability which is SSDI which is Social Security Disability Insurance which people pay into when they work thru FICA taxes. If you work long enough to qualify for this then you get a payment based on your work record and the last 10 quarters that you worked.

    Then there is SSI which is Supplemental Security Income which is federal welfare based program for people who become disabled who have not worked long enough to qualify for SSDI or are children.

    If you get SSDI you get Medicare. If you get SSI you get medicaid. If you get both SSDI and SSI you get Medicaid and Medicare.
  5. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    You know, now that I think about it I am not sure which one I applied for. It was SS -something. Now that I that I think about it, it must have been SSI because it was for my son.
    I was told that because I owned my own home (I guess an asset), had some money in savings, and because my parents had given me money in the past, I did not qualify. I no longer have a penny in savings, so I guess I need to try the process all over again, and then appeal if I do not get it. The disability would be for my son - not me - so I would apply for SSI, right?
  6. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member

    You would apply for SSI for your son but you would still have to meet income and resource guidelines because he is a child. When he turns 18 your income will no longer count towards his SSI. He will get a lower SSI check based on your income if he qualifies at all. Depending on your income he may qualify. My son qualified for SSI when I worked but I made almost 30K a year and I had 2 other kids. He got a small SSI check but that went up when I was no longer working. It also didnt count any income when he became an adult.
  7. AllStressedOut

    AllStressedOut New Member

    In Texas, Medicaid won't cover you if you have resources like a car worth a certain amount etc. I'm not sure of a house, but I do know that if you have a car thats blueboo value is over a certain amount (lets say $2000) than they consider that a resource you can get funds from. It is absolutely rediculous!
  8. Mrs Smith

    Mrs Smith New Member

    In my state, you can get medical assistance regardless of income solely on the basis of a documented disability. Check first to see which diagnosis's are covered - I seem to recall some limits as to what they accept as a disability (ADHD covered but not asperger's?). You do not get any SSI money if you exceed the income limit but all medical expenses are covered 100% (including medications) as long as you stay within the program. The down side is the choices are usually pretty limited.

    M's pediatrician is in the program but unfortunately his psychiatrist and therapist are not. And medications are free even if prescribed by not-covered docs. It makes no sense but I'll take any help I can get.