Do without?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by wakeupcall, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. wakeupcall

    wakeupcall Well-Known Member

    If my h loses his job and we have no insurance, does that mean difficult child has to go without his medications? What will we do?
  2. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    Two possibilities. You could try to get Medicaid. That's what we have and it covers everything almost 100%. If you don't qualify, and each state is different, then you call the drug companies themselves and they will usually help you out.
  3. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    If you have AAA, they offer a discount on prescription drugs at various pharmacies. We were without insurance for several months, and were paying out of pocket for Miss KT's medications. The discount helped quite a bit.
  4. GoingNorth

    GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

    Medicaid (may have another name in your state) would only take your son's personal finances into consideration if you can get him on SSI. You might not get an actual check depending on your assets, but you could still get the Medicaid benefits.
  5. wakeupcall

    wakeupcall Well-Known Member

    Great, just great. We wouldn't qualify, I'm sure. Well.....there goes all we saved for retirement.
  6. GoingNorth

    GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

    Talk to your state's social services before saying you wouldn't qualify. Like we said, it is very possible that if your assets are too high that your child would not qualify for SSI, BUT, they could still qualify for Medicaid which doesn't take the parents' assets into consideration.

    There are an awful lot of people on tihs board who have had to go the Medicaid route in order to cover their kids
  7. wakeupcall

    wakeupcall Well-Known Member

    I'll look into it, thanks sooo much.
  8. Jeppy

    Jeppy New Member

    I know a couple people who turned legal custody of their kids over to the state and the state kept the the child in the parents home. This was done so the child would qualify for Medicaid. If you are working with a social worker that person could probably tell you more about this route.
  9. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    GoingNorth, I also live in Wisconsin, like you. I think you're confusing Medicare with Medicaid. None of my kids are on SSI and they all get Badgercare. Any parent with minor children qualifies for Badgercare if they aren't offered insurance through work or can't afford the insurance that is offered. The entire family would then qualify for Badgercare, even the parents of the minor kids. We have it (hub and I) and got it this way.

    Every state is different though.Wisconsin has the most insured kids in the country. Some states are not so generous.
  10. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator