Dr. Phil today --- Intervention Heroin

Nancy

I was hoping it would be more on the effects of bath salts but what they did present was good information. If anyone thinks bath salts are harmless that was dispelled.

Nancy

Calamity Jane

Hi Nancy,
The mother and son interventionists who were on Dr. Phil apparently have their own show on TLC (produced by Dr. Phil) - it was on last night (Wed) on TLC. It's called, "Cracking Addiction" and is almost identical to the TV program Intervention. Brandon, the son interventionist, is a former difficult child who has turned his life around.
After that show, another one called, "Addiction" aired, and is hosted by one of the former interventionists from "Intervention." This particular show is very good, because it realistically shows what happens throughout the first 30 days of treatment; all the ups and downs, the difficulties of treatment, whereas Intervention magically shows them 30, 60 or 90 days later looking refreshed and renewed, as if they've been on vacation. I noticed also that this show works closely with the family members who have difficulty detaching from their loved one's behaviors. Very helpful.

Nancy

CJ I watched the original intervention with Brandon and his parents years ago and followed their story and his relapses and finally success for years now and I'm thrilled that they are paying it forward. I dvr'd their show last night so I could watch it today. When I first saw the subject of last night's show I didn't realize it was another Brandon intervention. I thought it was an entire show in bath salts. Not enough people know about bath salts and the harm it can do, but that really wasn't the subject of this show at all. It's ok I still love watching their interventions and wish I could have gotten my difficult child into one of his rehab centers. I think of PG and how her daughter would be a wonderful person for Dr. Phil to help, or TL's son. I love Brandon and his mom and would want them on my side in this war. And they don't always succeed, Brandon himself relapsed several times and ended up in jail before his recovery.

Nancy

T

toughlovin

Hmmmm I have never watched these shows... maybe I will have to watch one at some point. TL

Californiablonde

I usually watch the Dr. Phil reruns when they're on at seven after work. I will try and catch the show when it airs next. Bummer they didn't talk about bath salts too much. Bath salts really intrigue me. We discussed them at length and read several articles about people and they stuff they did on it in my drug and alchohol classes. People got naked and did all sorts of crazy stuff on them. It's not something I know much about otherwise. Just something I'm curious about.

Srcsweet2

I watch these shows myself ...and this week I realized I shouldn't watch these shows they always leave me feeling like I haven't done enough for my son...I have not tried hard enough to get him in rehab maybe...then reality sets in ...there is no way I could afford rehab like those I see on TV ... I am glad that those that are on them get help I really am ...I just hope someday my son will get some help too

Calamity Jane

Hi Sweet,
I don't know, but I was always under the impression that the rehab stint is covered by the production in exchange for filming their story. Most of the recipients seem like they would not be able to afford such places otherwise. Sometimes, during the intervention, I thought I even heard some of the parents say that if their child didn't take this oppty, they would never be able to afford to send them anywhere else.