Dresses for a wedding? And more...

BusynMember

Hi. I hope you are enjoying Sunday

I am awaiting a book called Mother of the Bride. Before that comes I am wondering about all you people who already had wedding experience. I am truly enjoying this adventure with my beloved daughter.

So dresses questions...

1. What is the norm for mother of the bride and does the color of the dress need to match with mother of the groom?

2. How do bridesmaid dresses work?

3. My sweet little grand is going to be Flower girl. It's far away yet but I would like to fantacize the dress she will wear that day.

I am so excited now over anything wedding and feel Jumper has made such a great choice in Hunter and his family. It's like I am floating on a cloud...lol. First Jumper and Hunters house, now the wedding.

Jumper update: On top of waiting to see if she gets the job at the jail she also applied for a job at a nearby Homeland security place. Not sure of details, just the location. If she doesn't get either job, it is onto the police academy.

Thanks for any insight or just for reading :) The family is energized and happy for Jumper. I am in my happy place being Mom.

Hubby and me update: Hub retires around his birthday in March. Both of us MAY work part time until we travel in 2019.

I am still going to try planning a Conduct Disorder Forum Meet Up in St. Louis this summer.

Life is good and I know it will get better for all of you too. Blessings!!!

Last edited:

ksm

Usually the mother of the bride coordinates with the wedding party, and the mother of the groom, usually selects something that complements, but not be brighter or more "attention" grabbing style or color.

When my step daughter married her mom wore a fuchsia colored dress and I wore a pale pink shade... Ksm

BusynMember

Thanks. I am clueless which is why I bought that book. Jumper is running closer to tradition than expected. It won't be 100 per entby the rules but she is talking with her already married friends to get ideas.

It is certainly exciting and fun!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I don't have any wedding advice to offer, just wanted to say how happy and excited I am for you all.

upload_2018-1-22_8-56-52.png

Lil

I love these updates - they're so happy! They just make me smile.

I agree with ksm. I never got to have a mother at my weddings...but from what I've seen, coordinate, but differ from, the wedding party. For instance, if her bridesmaids are in navy - you could were a light blue...still blue, but not the same shade.

I don't think your Jumper is the type to be too worried about what you wear. :) But just let her help pick out your dress - give you ideas and follow her lead.

Bridesmaid dresses should be pink taffeta with a big bow on the butt that can never be worn ever again. :laugh: In all seriousness, it's my understanding that bridesmaids buy their own dresses - though I bought my bridesmaids theirs when I married Jabber - mostly just to shut them up. And that's all kind of Jumper's territory. She and her bridesmaids should try to pick them out together, but she has final say.

BusynMember

Oh, since I am as disinterested in fashion as I am in watching paint dry, Jumper, who is rather similar, can talk to her bridesmaid and married friends and pick out my dress for me. In spite of not normally caring about fashion this daughter/mom stuff is already great fun, bringing us even closer. We have always had a very special bond and since we live so near each other, we are in constant contact.

I laughed and laughed about the taffeta bridesmaid dresses with the huge bows. Can't see Jumper wanting that kind of over the top in her wedding party but ya never know. I'm relieved we don't have to buy all the dresses. We will buy one for Princess and Little Princess. And a nice outfit for Sonic. She said it's casual, no suits necessary.

I have never seen hubby in a suit lol. We got married casually in a park so he just wore jeans, I believe. But he will have to wear an upgrade from jeans lol. He is giving her away and the truth is, she is his sunshine. She has a special bond with him as well and he is also good friends with Hunter. So hubby has to look his very best....for her.

The wedding is not until August 2019. But things are moving forward already.

As for the guest list....Hunter has a big, down home,friendly family of about 100. Then there are their close friends. Our family will have Me, hubby, Sonic, Princess, SO, baby, one aunt and uncle and two cousins invited for our side. Bart and J will get an invite, already said they can't come. No surprise. So for our side, small bit tight.

Lil thanks for telling me that you enjoy the updates....I am never sure if it is okay to put them here with so many struggling. I am so very glad your son is on his way! A wedding there perhaps????

AppleCori

I went to a wedding where everyone had to wear camouflage.

Not even joking.

I had to borrow a camo shirt, as I didn’t (and still don’t) own one.

The bridesmaids wore camo t-shirts and jean skirts, the groom men wore camo t-shirts and jeans.

The groom was dressed the same, but the bride did wear a traditional wedding dress.

It was in Missouri, too, but I’m sure that was just a coincidence....

Lil

I am so very glad your son is on his way! A wedding there perhaps????

Eh...not so far, which is okay by me. He joked about it a bit when we were there - when she was uncertain about her status - she was born in Mexico - but her mother is a legal resident, so I'm sure she's fine. He joked about a green card wedding. But she is only 19 and he's not quite 23. While he says he has no intention of "letting this one go" we can wait.

She also made a remark when we were chatting on-line a while back about "if I ever get married". I said, "IF? You're only 19! You don't get to say IF until you're at least 28!" LOL

It was in Missouri, too, but I’m sure that was just a coincidence....

Thankfully, the most "camo" wedding I've been to has been Jabber's nephew. The groom and groomsmen had vests and ties in camo and the brides gown had a camo sash. The bridesmaids dresses were brown, but not camo, thank God. That was camo enough for me!

BusynMember

Lol on the cammo. I can see someone in our neck of Wisconsin doing this. But thankfully it is not on Jumper's radar!

Lil waiting sometimes is a very good thing. But you never know. She sounds very good for him!!

Jumper is only 21, but Hunter is 25. Jumper has always been very mature. I'm not worried about her age. My math is pathetic but I believe she will be 23 and he 27 on the wedding day.

Lil

21 and 25 sound good to me. That would make them having been together 3 years - and both (hopefully) more mature and settled. :)

BusynMember

They have been living together for two years already, most of the time she was in school. They just clicked right away. The first time I met his mother she said, "You know....I think this may be it." They have tons in common, both grew up in close, intact families, and are very kind to each other and they like one another's family, which doesn't always happen. Neither is a yeller and both are very mellow, low key, and drama free. They have a group of mutual friends and are both hard workers.

It's all good :)

ksm

I went to a wedding where all e bridesmaids wore different little black dresses... And carried a single lily with a ribbon. The bride had a fairly simple corsage also, but bigger than her bridesmaids. It was very tasteful.

I am sure they saved lots of money and the bridesmaid either wore their own dress, or selected one they would wear in the future.

Ksm

AppleCori

I went to a wedding where all e bridesmaids wore different little black dresses... And carried a single lily with a ribbon. The bride had a fairly simple corsage also, but bigger than her bridesmaids. It was very tasteful.

I am sure they saved lots of money and the bridesmaid either wore their own dress, or selected one they would wear in the future.

Ksm

I remember a few years ago when the trend was for the bridesmaids to all have different dresses and colors.

While it doesn’t always work, aesthetically, I believe the black dress in different styles would be fabulous.

I had a bunch of bridesmaids dresses my two older girls had to purchase, and they just sat in the closet, till I finally donated them.

BusynMember

Again, remember I am cognitively slow about fashion

Is black appropriate for a summer wedding? Thanks for all the ideas and the humor!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My 2 cents... When I married XH, I wore my mother's wedding dress, handmade by my great-grandmother. XH was in a black tux. Colors were teal and purple (my fav color and his). So his vest was purple, as was his best man (who was a flake and a half, didn't even show up at the reception).

My maid of honor - my ONLY attendant, as I did not want a big wedding - went shopping. We found lots of teal dresses but nothing looked good on her. So HER mother made the dress. I will be forever impressed! (When her sister got married, she had to wear a poufy peach colored dress that totally clashed with her skin tone. It was awful.)

My mother found an appropriate teal dress as well.

XMIL wore black and white as did XSIL. My Dad wore a tux with a teal vest.

My opinion is this... Whatever the wedding colors are, have the bridesmaids find a cocktail dress in a similar shade, that flatters her. Forget all being the same!