Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP) cycling....HELP!

CCRidr2

Sheena-Warrior Momma
:nonono:

Hello....our difficult child has been home from school for about 3 hours now and has cycled from high to tears to anger and back to high on life SEVERAL TIMES. He went outside and rode his bike 10 ft in front of his sister's BUS, didn't even bother to look and scared 10 years off his sister's life! This isn't the first time we have had to discuss this , more like 20-25, since we moved 2 months ago. He's been nearly run down 5 times including today. Then I am the bad guy "your always mean to me", "nothings fair" because I want to keep him safe!

For those who don't know we are in the early stages of finding the right psychiatrists and psychiatric hospital to have him evaluated for Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP). I don't know how to deal with the highs and lows, and the anger! I'm sooo tired I don't see how he doesn't just faint from the effort!

I feel like I am cycling right along with him and might scream if he changes moods again! Which I know he will!! Dad is "watching" him at the moment. When he comes back to high after rage or tears he wants hugs and some(most) times I am not ready. I can't come back that fast! husband is such a savior, I don't know what I would do without him!

Thanks for letting me vent! Any advice on how to deal with the cycles would be appreciated! :rolleyes:

BusynMember

Hi. Sorry about his cycling. Is he going to be placed on bipolar medications? ADHD medications can seriously mess with a bipolar kid's mood, even with co-morbid ADHD. and he isn't even on a mood stabilizer. I'm guessing it's, in large part, due to the stimulant. His bio. mom has bipolar--that's a big red flag that the ADHD/ODD probably isn't and he could well be on the wrong type of medications. I would take him to a Child Psychiatrist with the BiPolar (BP) history in his family plus his behavior and reaction to stimulants.

klmno

I don't know how much help I can be- Lord knows I don't have my difficult child under control!! But here are some methods I try- I offer to discuss what's going on- if he doesn't want to talk about it, then I redirect him when I can (don't react to his behavior- just offer a snack, suggest a shower or phone call, sit down and talk about what movie we want to see next, etc.). Sometimes, I just ignore it, if it's not dangerous and he's only blowing off steam without really trying to talk about it. Sometimes I send him to his room to cool off- not that he always complies. Sometimes I find myself reacting to him and then I get pulled into contributing to the escalation (I try to avoid this one). And sometimes, I have to just walk away and try really hard to remind myself that there is only so much I can control- especially when it seems he's in a mood to do something he shouldn't in spite of everything. Then,I just have to prepare myself for the repercussions I'm going to have when he suffers the consequences. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread because I'm interested in others' suggestions, too.
Good luck- remember you're not alone!!

DammitJanet

The cycling can be extremely difficult for everyone...both you and him. I am going to speak from his side but I know that it is hard on my family too. When I cycle that rapidly it takes everyone on a roller coaster ride. I am really at the mercy of my moods and there isnt much I can do to stop it.

If you can redirect him in some way...a bath,a book,tv, a movie, food, video games, a cuddle, something...sometimes that will help. I always want to be reassured that I am ok and loved. I cant help what I do and it upsets me greatly. I dont want to be this way. I try to stop. Sometimes all I want is to be restrained.

Hope this helps some.