Eeyore raging

JJJ

Eeyore came home and started raging cause his legos weren't in his room. I had taken them because I needed to make a model of a project that I am building this weekend. I had told him last week that I would need to use them when I had time but he clearly doesn't remember that conversation. His rage has now lost him his tv, ps2 and his phone. Thankfully he didn't throw his computer cause it is a great coping skill for him. He is now listening to music and (hopefully) calming down.

I'm beginning to think this bowling team was a REALLY bad idea. Too many difficult children in one spot. (Bowling? seriously...bowling attracted about 25% difficult children....I never would have guessed. )

klmno

Urghhh...I'm sorry you had to go thru it. I hope he's calming, too, and maybe the rest of the night will go peacefully.

So, bowling is a difficult child magnet? Let me go write that on my list of places Not to Go.

JJJ

He ended up coming out of his room and husband had to put him in a hold to keep him from hurting himself or us. The Eeyore started complaining that his chest hurt. But husband had just held his arms, didn't even take him down so we were confused how he got hurt. You'll love this.....he was messing around with a teammate and hit the teammate in the balls with his ball so the teammate swung back and hit Eeyore in the chest. Frigging idiots.

medications have kicked in, he is sleepy and I think he'll be out like a light soon.

DammitJanet

Oh...I am assuming the stimulant is given in the morning along with the celexa. Does he also take any of the trileptal then too? Missing the AD would be bad enough but missing any MS could be bad. I think he could manage okay one day without the stimulant except be more agitated. But still...poor eyore.

B

Bunny

Sorry it was a bad night. I hope this morning is Eyeore is in a better mood.

You know, now that you mention it, difficult child LOVES bowling! And so does his difficult child friends. I never would have put that together.

cubsgirl

I'm glad that you figured out the problem. I have occassionally forgotten difficult child's medications (and sometimes my own) with a not so wonderful result.

I also have a bowling difficult child - might be something to that.

trinityroyal

Gosh! I'm glad that Eeyore has calmed down.

And yes, bowling is a difficult child-magnet activity. My difficult child AND the other Monster-Tots in our Hilarious House of Aspie LOVE bowling.
There's something about the Fling-CRASH that really appeals. Cause, effect, instant gratification, and lots and lots of sensory input of all kinds and sorts. The trouble is once the bowling is over and they need to decompress from all that sensory input. Then the fun begins.

And I'm sorry, but I laughed hard enough to spray tea all over my monitor at the balls-balls-chest thing. Not that Eeyore was hurt, but at the thought that 2 difficult child lads wouldn't mess around with them and deck each other.

One of Little easy child's difficult child pals at school was whirling his coat around his head, and managed to knock another child down a flight of steps, resulting in a broken arm for the bystander. Sigh...

Sending calm vibes for the whole lot of you (including the other difficult child who got the ball in the balls)
Hugs,
Trinity

buddy

As much as I HATE medication errors, it is a relief to know there was a reason, and that it supports how well the medications actually do work. I am glad you found out. Hope he does ok on Turkey Day.

JJJ

Mixed day so far. I woke Eeyore up at 7am and gave him his medications then I let him go back to sleep. I had to run out for a bit and when I got home, Eeyore was up and had started his chores. He is very down on himself. He did have a few minutes of bad attitude but then he stopped, looked at me and he suggested he take a nap. :)

Just woke him up and we need to leave soon and he seems to be in a decent mood. We did talk about how this makes it really clear that he needs his medications and as much as he doesn't want to take medications, it is the intelligent choice. I hope the lesson sticks.

buddy

wow, that was really good, I can FEEL the relief in a moment like that, I live it so often... Just love it when things come together in a better way. I am glad for him. Hope you are right, that it sinks in some.

Allan-Matlem

Hi,

from my armchair , here is a cps perspective

difficult child displays deficits in executive functions - fails to recall memory , put frustration on the shelf and ask himself how he can solve the problem - he can't find his legos

the demands of the situation outstrip the skills he has - this sets up a situation of looking bad - ' exploding etc. etc - the looking bad is the symptom

consequences were given to treat the symptom - in the future when he gets frustrated he should access info of what will happen to him if he expresses frustration inappropriately.

The consequence can't teach missing skills and is likely to escalate things and make difficult child more angry - the focus is now on the consequence and not the problem

the problem should be solved so the kid won't have a reason to deal with frustration . Helping him deal with frustration better is not solving the problems mentioned

a more traditional approach - give medication and treat symptoms with rewards and punishements/consequences

Allan
Parenting is Learning

buddy

Well, here is where I will truly disagree, and as you know, I really do like cps and rdi but have not figured out how to incorporate it in a real world (outside of home) setting because the fact is... you can't force people to change their approaches no matter how much educating you do. They have to be wanting to really learn and to look at the big picture. they are too concerned with getting thru the day and their image to other parents, etc. All politics.

But in terms of medications. A child can be missing skills, medications will not affect that. A child is missing chemicals or chemicals are not working right for them to send brain signals to be able to learn skills, a child is missing brain parts to be able to learn skills............... medications CAN help with that. That is not an either/or situation. There is no chance in hell of teaching my kid anything without medications. (during a recent medication error in the hospital, he didn't get his medications for a full day, and this child who has NEVER had to be locked up in a room or restrained was put in a locked room FOUR times, follow-up neuropsychologist testing with a controlled medication delay and then testing on the medications showed he could do tasks at a remarkably improved level)

Tradition is not all bad.

InsaneCdn

Warning: Personal Pet Peeve!

From my own experience (multi-generational)...
Too often, we see a problem and leap to an intervention.
BEFORE we really get to the bottom of it.
And therefore... its only blind luck if something actually works.

FIRST you have to get to the real rock bottom. (see note below)
THEN you can figure out what interventions, accommodations and/or medications are going to help.

BUT.. **note**
There can be multiple layers, and lots of interim solutions, while you work your way to the bottom.
This takes TIME. Lots of TIME.
And a few lucky breaks along the way (like landing the right doctors etc.!)

So... most of the time we have to start with gut feel and blind stabs in the dark.
But...
Just because something takes the edge off, doesn't make it THE answer.
If the whole picture isn't adding up...
KEEP DIGGING.

(took us over 10 years)