Eyesight

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Turns out I may have to do what I've so long recommended to other people who don't have insurance and are low income.............I may have to contact the Lion's Club and see if they'll help me get new glasses.:sigh:

My vision has gone to pot to put it mildly.........much much more so in the two years, and in all honesty? that I notice it to this degree tells me it's really bad.

At the salon I had my glasses off and realized I can't even make out facial features of people unless they're really close..... And that is with effort.

I've been functioning all squinted up to see out of the reading part of the bifocals trying to see for ages.

Bad part? Just saw the eye doctor in Sept or Oct............he swears nothing has changed really, gave me new glasses that have done squat for me since the day I put them on. Told eye doctor that.............I got poo pooed. He has no clue how close he came to being decked.

Today I go to renew my license and plates. Took the eye exam. Could not even SEE thing thing at all without my glasses. One big blur........peripheral vision......nothing. Thank heaven I could see the line required to be able to drive WITH the glasses, after 2 tries....still almost lost it over the peripheral part though.

OMG I am so ticked.

Except...........

My Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) was to the occipital lobe mainly from impact........lord knows where else from ricochet (brain bounce from impact).

So if eye doctor is right and the eye itself is not the problem........... It's probably neuro related. So would have to have that checked out. That is not so good.

Much of Travis' vision issues are neuro related.

Well.............at least now I know I'm not crazy, there really is a big problem.

InsaneCdn

I can't even make out facial features of people unless they're really close

HD - I've been that way since age 9... I even have to put glasses on in the middle of the night (with the lights turned off) just to go over to the washroom and back! But you DO need to know where the problem is... my current biggie is "dry eyes" which affect clarity...

Worth getting to the bottom of, though - might not be as simple as "glasses".

DammitJanet

IC...my oldest has had to wear his glasses like that ever since he got them too when he was really young. In fact, he sometimes sleeps with them on he is so used to wearing them. He cant see anything without them. Thankfully they have come so far from the old coke bottle lenses because he really has thick lenses even now.

I have a really hard time myself seeing faces unless they are close to me too. People get so upset with me because I dont recognize them and they dont get why I dont see people in stores and can walk right on by...lol.

susiestar

Roll With It
((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Go ahead and ask the Lion's Club to help. There may be things that can be done and that will be a big relief. I know you don't liek to ask for help, but given your financial state, go and fill out the application for the state health ins plan. You just may qualify. They won't help with optometrists but with the neurologist they would and with the MD eye docs also.

H

HaoZi

I've been in glasses since 2nd grade, and couldn't walk around even inside without them by middle school. My Rx is so strong that even the super light lenses are too heavy and cause me sinus pain, so I wear contacts for as many hours of the day as I can.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow HaoZi that is heavy. About like Travis' sounds like. If it weren't for the super light lenses......he probably couldn't take the weight at all.

I've been in glasses since the first grade. Eye sight stayed about the same until after the accident, and has since been a steady decline. While some I realize is probably due to aging, that whole normal process.........This is a bit abrupt and reminds me of what prompted me to beg my Mom to take me to the eye doctor in the first place all those years ago. But it's the frustration of not being able to see even with the new glasses that is driving me nuts.

My mom also has macular degeneration and glaucoma......so I have to worry about those too. Although I'm tested for the latter and so far there are no signs. I have no clue what sort of testing they do for the first one.

InsaneCdn

Macular degeneration... my Mom has that - I don't remember if the eye doctor can see that one when he looks in your eyes, or of its just obvious when part of your field of vision doesn't function the same as the rest (think "wrinkle") - but I'm pretty sure they eye doctor can see it. So, if you've had checkups for glaucoma, I'd be surprised if the eye doctor didn't already check for MD

H

HaoZi

I'm a long way from the legally blind category, just very sensitive to any weight like that on my face since taking a good slam playing softball years ago. My sinuses have been messed up since then. You wouldn't believe how long it takes me to find sunglasses that I like and can afford. I am beyond the Rx's available for tinted contacts, but not quite to the end range available for contacts in general.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I've been in glasses since 2nd grade, and couldn't walk around even inside without them by middle school. My Rx is so strong that even the super light lenses are too heavy and cause me sinus pain, so I wear contacts for as many hours of the day as I can.

Me? 3rd grade - and the odds you will see me in glasses are super slim. I have the teeny oval lenses, which mean no peripheral vision at all, and if I wear them more than an hour or so I get that headache, too. I have no bridge on my nose, so all the weight rests on my ears... and into my head. The lenses, at the edges (superthin, superlight) are almost 1cm thick.

Almost wish I WAS legally blind...

I agree. Go find out what you can, and if glasses will or will not help. And in the meantime? :hugs:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Our Lions Club here? Sorta odd - because we went to them for help and they had a "packet" for hearing aid - aid and it was nearly 20 pages long. They needed to know more about our household financial, credit application, bank statements on EVERYONE in the house, property, assets, bonds, savings, IRA's - it was more in depth than an IRA audit. THEN? They wanted everyone to sign an advertising agreement/release that at any time for the next 5 years they could come to us and record us for tv, billboard ads. We filled it out and it was like - ARE YOU Serious? Five years? WTH?

DF finally said - it was just too much. Called them and thanked them but no. Ridiculous. I get that it was nearly $2000.00 but that was a little too much nosey ned.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow, now if they do that one I'll opt out too. omg

But I'm sure ours doesn't because bff used them for herself and her son and here it is evidently not that involved. We do, however, have a few other organizations that are exactly like that. I didn't know they did the hearing aides too. They better not give me too much flak I've been donating old glasses to them for more than 20 yrs. lol That's a lot of glasses.