Fainted at work. Scared.

Jody

I fainted at work on Tuesday. Got up to go to the restroom and didn't quite make it. I remember trying to hold on the wall but felt like my feet were dragging me down, screamed and went down and out, Woke up and my co workers were around me and I could hear a siren in the background. Went to the hospital and my blood pressure, was 142/51. I have high blood pressure and just got put on a new medication but was having this dizzy spells before I started new pill. Spent the night at the hospital, had a bran ct, and chest ct, ekg and echo and everything was just a little abnormal, but no one could tell me how. sent me home with a halter monitor. The new lady at work says I have to bring in something from the doctors saying I am not going to pass out again. Um can't guarantee that, I told her to give that to me in writing. my doctors office okayed me to go back to work tomorrow, but I am still feeling dizzy and so tired. Im getting scared there is really something wrong with me and no one can find it. Ugh. Any ideas. my blood sugar and labs were normal.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
New lady is an idiot, her own doctors couldn't guarantee that about her. Pffft. Prayers for you hon!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jody, follow doctor orders to the letter. At this point, don't worry about work too much. I'm sure doctor will cooperate over whatever note when he feels it is safe for you to return.

When you see doctor again, you make him take the time to sit down and really talk to you. It is important you understand what is going on, even if all they have are possibilities or working theories as to what may be going on. Docs are often in a hurry and blurt whatever out and take off before really explaining anything. They expect nurses to do the explaining, but that rarely happens in todays world. So pin him down and don't let him leave until you understand.

Keeping you in my prayers that it is nothing serious.

((hugs))

DDD

Wish I could send a cure to you but all I can send is my caring support. You ARE a smart cookie and I am confident that you can make sure the medical people share all the info and possibilities with you. Hugs DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Jody, I have dizzy spells when I'm stressed and my BiPolar (BP) is up. Pharmacists are more adept than docs with knowing which medications and doses are okay with one another and which ones aren't. Do you have a Pharm you trust to get his/her opinion?

Suz

DammitJanet

Have you started or stopped any medications? Is your BiPolar (BP) up or down? How is your fibro feeling?

I can get very light-headed and dizzy with changes. Being tired is sometimes something that can really throw me off. I know that if I had to work now I would be in trouble because I get in bad shape if I have to do a lot of things on one day, I need to have several days after that to recoup.

Jody

yes I started a new blood pressure medicine but it had started before that. he told me he was going to start me on the new one Losartan since the atenolol wasn't working. he told me to continue to take all medicines. I think it was too much, I read that beta blockers can make you faint. That was the atenolol, I quit taking it on my own and I am better, I haven't had a dizzy spell for about 24 hours now. I am too scarfed to take that medicine, and think if my blood pressure was too high I would have a headache. I don't and feel better than I did a couple of days ago. I think it was too much and lowered my blood pressure too much and I passed out. I see my primary dr on Monday morning and I am going to tell him what I did.
Fibro is pretty good right now. I have that chronic fatigued but I am getting through it.
I have found a person that I trust completely to help me keep the house cleaned. I think with work and home and outside, its just too much and I wear myself out and then nothing is done well. I can't really afford it but since my teenager won't help me I am paying for it in money that I probably would have spent on her cell phone bill or something else that she wanted. She knows ive been sick but shes been out and about helping her friends mother with their housework and dishes and when I ask her to help, difficult child gets so nasty and refuses. I let it roll off my back, don't want to get stressed and have blood pressure go back up. I did get satisfaction when she asked me for some fastfood. I was like no B's don't do that for their kids. They just don't. She's like your kidding me right. I left. Ugh, I am so, so disappointed in her right now. I just can't even explain it.

InsaneCdn

and think if my blood pressure was too high I would have a headache.
Not true.
High blood pressure can be symptomless, especially when short of "extreme".
Does the pharmacy have a blood-pressure machine? Somewhere that you can keep an eye on it?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jody, IC is right. You can be symptomless with extremely high blood pressure. Somewhat because your body gets sort of "used" to it. I know. I've have mine stick around in the 180's - 220's/140's. I felt a bit off but nothing like you'd expect.......except maybe that my patience level was pretty much shot to heck. You still need to keep an eye on it, even if it means stopping in a pharmacy and sitting at one of the machines and taking it.

((hugs))

Jody

I will go to walmart tomorrow and check. I am hoping its not bad i'm still on two kinds of BiPolar (BP) medicine. thanks for letting me know.

DammitJanet

I have extremely good blood pressure everywhere but my psychiatrist's office and all my other doctors have now been convinced it was be something wrong with their machines. Either they are not using an appropriate cuff on me or the fact that they have their machine mounted to the wall and stretch it across the room to take the pressure just messes with my readings. I was at my GP about 5 days ago and my BiPolar (BP) was 100/60. At the psychiatrist today it was 145/85. Explain that one. It cant be the drive because one doctor is only about 5 more miles away. And that is a long drive from my house. They both take me about 30 minutes to get to.

I am also having a lot of fatigue but some insomnia if I dont hit my sleep time exactly. Also my knees are killing me so badly.

witzend

My doctor told me that the store machines are set to read a little high on the side of caution. He also told me I could come into their office any time for a BiPolar (BP) reading (call and have them get out your chart first) with no charge until we had it under control.

Fainting is not as bad as a stroke. Hopefully you'll get the dosages all worked out.

Jody

I feel pretty good, i just still feel a little bit light headed at times, not like i am going to pass out but i didn't feel like I was going to faint last time either. Im getting a shower chair today, for when I am in the shower, and I close my eyes, i definately get dizzy.

DDD

I absolutely don't know much about medical issues but I was just thinking of some years ago when I got vertigo. I was healthy and did the rounds of my MDs thinking maybe it was my ears or my teeth or my eyes. There were no medical issues found so my regular Doctor suggested that I try the OTC pills that are sold for motion sickness. That was forty years ago or so...but it really helped. I kept a pkg in my nightstand drawer for years just in case I woke up dizzy. Just thought I would share in case that would help you, too. Hugs DDD