fever remedies

klmno

I have been alternating tylenol and motrin every 4-5 hours for 2 days to fight a 101.6 temperature. Now it's up over 102. Some have sugegsted going to the dr but I thought medications didn't really help a virus. And really, I don't have the strength to get myself ready and drive anywhere.

Suggestions?

TIA

witzend

Lots of fluids, and get yourself to a doctor if it goes on for another day. Also, try a cool damp cloth on the neck and forhead. A fever of unknown origin shouldn't be left for too long. You will be dehydrated, for sure so lots of water and broth or decaf tea.

Hope you feel better soon.

klmno

Thanks, Witz- there are other symptons so I think it is the flu- it's been going around here. The other symptons aren't nearly as bad as they could be. It's the fever that's zapping me. on the other hand, I hope it's not that tooth that they told me to have taken out last summer- if it was infected wouldn't it be hurting or swollen?

Lothlorien

Take a lukewarm shower....the cooler the better.

If you're tooth is infected, it may or may not be painful, but if there's something wrong and an infection is possible, there are other things that can become infected....like organs. If you're fever isn't gone by the morning, I would get to the doctor.

Missy just got over the flu last week....her fever was off and on for about 3 days and then she was fine.

Marguerite

You're right in that there's not a lot you can do medication-wise for a virus. But depending on WHAT virus it is, there ARE some medications.

If you're sure it's just flu and you haven't got any other major problems (such as difficulty breathing) and you are determined to deal with this yourself, then there are some things you can do:

1) keep up the clear fluids. Avoid caffeine or alcohol (because they dehydrate you). Chicken soup is good, especially if you have some stock you can heat up. Sip it.

2) Other things that are supposed to bring down a fever - ginger tea. Put a couple of slices of ginger root in a cup, pour over boiling water, and drink it. If you want more flavour, then put the ginger root into the chicken stock. It actually tastes very nice.

3) DON'T have COLD showers (or baths) but tepid. You mustn't get so cold you shiver, because that will send your temperature up. But also, don't wrap up in blankets either. A damp washcloth round your neck, a mist spray on your face - it helps. Wash your hair and DON'T blow-dry it, just towel-dry.

4) Don't get too anxious unless the temp climbs higher - sometimes our body uses a fever to kill off the virus. Sometimes we just need to ride it out.

BUT - if you're at all concerned, or you're having trouble breathing, or you have a cough which is getting to be a real nuisance and it's starting to really hurt, or this continues for much longer - go see a doctor. Flu is something which can turn nasty. It is a virus, but you can easily get secondary bacterial infections. My best friend is currently home from work with uvulitis - she had pharyngitis and it's now gone to the uvula. It started as a cold, then the bacterial infection moved in. She is no antibiotics because they DO help a bacterial infection.

Marg

klmno

difficult child is making me a can of chicken noodle soup! :) (I hope this works out better than the cheese and crackers I ate for lunch.)
He's going to have leftover spaghetti that he helped make last night.
If he'll just do all his homework thouroghly and independently I will be a happy woman taking my shower!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The others had great suggestions.

I only want to add that as long as the fever is high, strip down to minimum clothing. Don't let yourself get chilly so you shiver, but strip down and let your body cool off.

I myself, do this naturally. When I'm running a fever I feel like someone's lit a furnace inside me. First thing I do is peel down. lol

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Hugs

klmno

Funny, Daisylover, we've had temps in the 70's here today and the house thermostat says mid seventies in the house- I've have a jacket on all day over sweats because I still feel cold. At nights, I'm waking up with clothes and hair wet from sweating so much.

Do you get a fever with the big change in life? LOL