First Day of School

jal

difficult child's 1st day of school is tday. He was released from psychiatric hospital last Thur. Did beautifully over the weekend, there were definate signs of improvement. Yesterday was a bit sticky, but I am chalking it up the anxiousness of tday, because when he got up he was like YEAH - 1st day of school!

And a little update...

School sw and I talked and agreed to send him in later to lessen anxiety and confusion of first day. It went very well as we were greeted by the principal, sw and sped teacher. SW took difficult child to class and I met with the nurse to hand in medications and to speak with-sped teacher. difficult child is mainstream but sped teacher in on IEP team.

On Fri I informed school sw that I did not think the para they hired to help him at daycare this summer was experienced enough to deal with-him. (They lasted 2 days together before difficult child went to psychiatric hospital). I told her I'd be will willing to trial it. I get informed this am that difficult child will have his para from last year in the am and the new one in the afternoon to help him transition. AWESOME! He loved her and she knew how to handle him. They said they will continue to monitor and make changes as needed and will not let it go on too long if things aren't working.

I have said it before, but I am so very fortunate to have these people involved with-our difficult child's education. They truly bend over backwards for him.

Now I have to keep fingers crossed he makes it through daycare in the afternoons...UGH!

OpenWindow

Hope it goes well! I love to hear when schools are doing everything they can. I've been lucky in that regard, and I'm glad you are too!

Linda

klmno

This sounds great! It always makes me nervous when a difficult child has to make major changes suddenly, but with him WANTING to go to school today, it sounds like this was the icing on the cake!! I'm glad to hear the sd is listening to you and really making an effort to meet his needs, too!!

Andy

Very good news indeed. I also have teachers who will do anything they can to give difficult child (and every student in school) the best education possible.

Let us know how the his entire day went.

Bugsy

So good to hear that you are in a supportive environment.

We have been helping my son for 4+ years and have tried medication after medication. I also have soo many books on the medications but I have never heard of pamelor. I will look it up but I was wondering what type of medication it is.

Good luck with day 2

jal

Thank you everyone!

Bugsy-Pamelor is aka nortriptyline

"Nortriptyline is a second generation tricyclic antidepressant marketed as the hydrochloride under the trade names Sensoval, Aventyl, Pamelor, Allegron and Nortrilen. It is used in the treatment of major depression and childhood nocturnal enuresis (bedwetting). In addition it is sometimes used for chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pain and migraines, and labile affect in some neurological conditions."

Andy-No phone calls is a good day!

School went well - I need to get the back and forth log going with his teacher, but day care (where the REAL trouble has been) was awesome. They said he interacted with-the other kids (which he never does-prefers adults), he asked what time me or husband was coming to get him, when he was told the time he said "Oh OK" (normally this would result in high anxiety) and when asked to wait for me before going into the building he stopped and listened. Normally this would be a meltdown or result in an act of defiance. Also when he got in my car.....get ready....wait.....NO VERBAL VOMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was polite (more than usual) and usually when I pick him up I get crossed arms and a screwed up angry face, but HE WAS HAPPY! Daycare was thrilled with-him. Let's just hope it keeps going. The huge difference too is that he only has to stay 1 1/2 hrs vs. all day in the summer or even 5 hours last year (because our kindergarten is only half day).

This am he got up and got ready no problems...just needed a little reminding to stay on task and this was met with-no outbursts. He wanted to take a toy (which he knows he can't) got slightly angry about it and then sloughed it off with-in 30 seconds. So I am hopeful!

Christy

Glad it was a good first day! The school really seems to be working with you, that is great! I wish I could say the same for my son's school-lol I have an iep today to try (once again) to get him an assistant.

Hope the rest of the week continues to go smoothly.
Christy

LittleDudesMom

Jal,

great news on the supports in place for difficult child! Glad the first day went without incident! Wishing for more positives in his future.

Sharon