For all that Michael Jackson became...

mstang67chic

Going Green
....this reminds me of what he was. I've been pulling up a lot of old videos on youtube and found this. It must be a commercial overseas somewhere and it just about made me cry. I was a fan back in the day when MJ was still.....well, when he was still MJ. Musically speaking, it will be a very long time before there's another with the talent and genius that he had.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apsPr9EEogg&feature=related"]YouTube - Michael Jackson Pepsi Commercial Werbung selten Rare Meik Grabski Greven[/ame]

Marguerite

Here I am still sitting typing to you guys after midnight...

On Friday nights we have an all-night musicvideo TV show on out ABC network (that's our national broadcaster, ad-free). And first clip off the bill tonight - Thriller" - in full!

husband just said to me, "It goes for 13 minutes. Be in bed by the time it finishes!

So - goodnight. If I can get to sleep after this one!

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
That was a nice clip Stang.

I'm trying to keep his younger days in mind. Because it still makes me furious that when his family saw him slipping off the cliff of sanity in the later years they chose to igore it rather than try to help him. In Hollywood the image is everything, the person a shadow. A shame.

mstang67chic

Going Green
It's starting to hit me now that it's started to sink in. Weird. But...I guess Michael was my generations's Elvis in a way.

Similarities there too as far as their adult lives and the people around them. Right or wrong though, I don't want to bash his family. For one, I'm sure they are hurting and I would think there are regrets. Plus, I don't want to start because I'm not sure I'd stop. Know what I mean??

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Thanks for the clip, it really should be the one they are playing for the next week as they discuss and dissect his life. He was a great talent, but from what I'm hearing now he really had no childhood, also heard he didn't get a chance to go to school, so was basically illiterate.......I had no idea he was this driven by his father...... makes you understand a little of his wish for being Peter Pan and getting away from his father/family........ if any of it is true that is........

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I was talking to husband last night about how the girls will really never know what impact he had the world. How he changed the world with his dancing and voice and videos.
They can listen and watch and read... but they will never fully understand.

I was able to feel the end of Elvis and right after the death of John Lennon. But never really was in the heart and soul of it.

But Michael changed every aspect of music on some way. Whether you liked him or not.

Last edited:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Janet here is a BEN medley the I thought was pretty cool. It has commentary with it though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msqfQpoFTYk"]YouTube - Michael Jackson - Ben[/ame]

BusynMember

My daughter who was molested is terrified of MJ (or was). She would never watch him. Even she said, "His music was awesome!" but we both wonder...Still...it's not the time to judge his life. I wish his family peace.

Lothlorien

His music was fantastic and he changed the music industry as well as the music video industry. He was a strange duck who had a lot of emotional issues and a lot of sycophantic people around him to keep him at his level of strangeness. He probably had more than one "Howard Stern" (the lawyer) nipping at his heels. I liked him a lot in his younger years, but after the Thriller years, when he got so strange, I lost interest in his music. The saddest thing is what's happening to his children. I wonder how healthy their lives were before.....exactly what did they see. According to Geraldo, when he did a three day interview, one day he was fine and the next day he was curled up in a fetal position and incoherant. Were his children privy to that? I hope not. I hope their lives aren't embroiled in a huge custody battle for the world to witness. He kept them in total obscurity and now they are just going to be out there at the paparazzi's mercy (which is non-existent). I just see a huge disaster in the making with that.

Marguerite

Because it still makes me furious that when his family saw him slipping off the cliff of sanity in the later years they chose to igore it rather than try to help him.

I don't think anyone could have helped him.

When you have enough money to indulge your own desires, when you are sufficiently important, powerful, influential or whatever - who is there who can control you?

We all have difficult children. How often do we have threads where we are complaining how we can't force our kids to take medications, to undergo treatment etc?

Our history is full of nameso f people who were powerful enough Occupational Therapist (OT) get away with whatever they wanted to do, nobody could control tem even when they were being self-destructive. Aussie recent political history is a classic example.

So yes, I too am sad he didn't get the help he really needed, instead of the help he wanted.

But I don't think anyone could have made it happen.

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
For reasons unknown, the man was tormented by demons. I don't mean this to be disrespectful but as his skin became lighter his music became much much darker.

Like Elvis, & the Beatles before him, MJ left a lasting impression on the music world.

I hope he is at peace.

klmno

I just heard someone speak with Joe Jackson on tv. Maybe my opinion is tainted from what his kids have said over the years, but I was less than impressed with him.

TerryJ2

I don't think anyone could have helped him.

When you have enough money to indulge your own desires, when you are sufficiently important, powerful, influential or whatever - who is there who can control you?

I agree, Marg.

He was larger than life. He really did change the face of music (excuse the expression). I liked most of his pieces and have purchased some CDs.
What a mess he was.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Just out of curiosity I counted how many songs I have of MJ's - 87. That doesn't count the huge amount of vinyl.

Abbey

SRL

It is so sad. My children know who he was but they don't really get it either.

I think digital music is going to go a long way in helping the next generations to recognize what an outstanding artist he was. Unlike my generation, the younger ones have no qualms about listening to any music, regardless of age and genre. Incredibly right now on itunes 45 of the top 100 single sales are MJ's songs, either his own or with the Jackson 5.