Getting healthy: Ties in with Lil's weight loss thread.

SuZir

Being thin, skinny or even average is not a life quality question for most, not really. But mobility, every day functioning and reasonable weight health-wise is! And the older we come, the bigger the difference in life quality between those who are at least in reasonable shape and weight and those who are in bad shape and very overweight comes.

While some health risks are elevated even with reasonable over weight, the real big risks and things that make a difference for life quality are something that come to picture when you are obese or morbidly obese. But health and life quality wise somewhat over weight and in good physical shape is just fine place to be. So that is more than enough of a goal.

You probably didn't gain those extra pounds or bad shape in few weeks or months time, do not expect it to go away in that time either. Do not try to make so drastic changes that you get enough of them in two months. Make changes you can actually live with for times to come. Small new better habits you can get used to (parking a car little farther away from work place is a good example. Or taking few short walks with the doggies. Trying to stick in regular meal times and making sure you have about two pounds veggies a day makes also a huge difference in the long run. Try to come up with some physical activity you would actually enjoy. How about taking time once a week to drive some nice, new place and walking around and just looking things or taking pictures? Something that doesn't feel like exercise (if you don't like exercising) but keeps you mobile for couple hours.

For my husband it was different in that, because he used to be very athletic as a boy and young man. He did enjoy playing sports and exercising. While it took some effort to get himself back to the shape where he enjoyed exercise again, for him straining exercise was a way to go, because he both still had some of those skills and muscles he had had as younger man and he did know he could enjoy hard exercising. But if you do not like it. If you do not like to sweat or get out of breath or go out and run, that really is not needed either. You can make also much of difference with much easier activities.

But keeping active is important, not only because mobility is more about that than your weight (and mobility makes a huge difference in life quality, to be frank it makes a differenc3e between being able to live at home and nursing home when we get older. It really does matter for life quality, if we are able to tie our shoes and wipe our butts or not, and when we get older, that is the difference having mobility or not is about.) Just try to make it something, that you do not hate to do, because people in general are not very good at delayed gratification (no it is not just our g f gs but ourselves too, that ice cream tastes better now than ability to tie your shoes in ten years feels.)

Lil

You are a romantic in your soul I think, Jabber.
Courtly love.

In his soul...not so much in his actions. :) I love him to pieces, but he's not really a flowers and candles and soft music kind of guy. He has his moments though. ;)

Lil said:

It's 30 calories a tablespoon for the sugar free. How many do you use? I figure I'm getting about 60, maybe 100 calories from creamer!Click to expand...
Now, multiply that by the thirty days of the month. Does anyone remember how many extra calories it takes to make a pound of fat? I am thinking 3,000.

Well yeah...but only if that's 3000 more than you used. I'm not going to lose a lb just because I cut out creamer for a month. I'd rather cut out something I like less, lol.

We are married coming up on forty-three years, I think it is.
And there is still nowhere I am happier than in whatever bed we are in with my face right up next to my D H 's.

I love this. :inlove:

Not trying to master it, just herd it....a bit!

Not really an option. One door is easy to gate but the other is like 8 feet wide.

Heehee....there's my romantic hubby...All that deep romantic stuff Cedar wrote and he responds to the part about he dogs. :D

Being thin, skinny or even average is not a life quality question for most, not really. But mobility, every day functioning and reasonable weight health-wise is!

I agree and being skinny, or even average, isn't really what either of us want. At my lowest weight, I was still 20 lbs into the "obese" category. I was a misses size 18, woman's 16, and at 5'10", I looked pretty darn good! But mostly, I felt good!

Jabberwockey

Heehee....there's my romantic hubby...All that deep romantic stuff Cedar wrote and he responds to the part about he dogs.

I love you too!

Just ran last nights dinner through the recipe builder thing which is a MAJOR PITA by the way! We seriously need to cut back on sodium. Yet again in one meal I got significantly more than my recommended amount of sodium. Granted, that was without measuring but according to my fitness pal I should be getting 2300 grams per day of sodium and that one meal was 3767.

Lil

I don't see how that's possible. I'll run it too to see if I get the same thing. I suppose there could be quite a lot in the sausage. Did you use a lot of added on the potatoes?

I have to work!

Jabberwockey

Here is what I used in the recipe.

5.00 potato, Russet Potatoes (Medium)
  • 1.00 container (14 ounces ea.), Turkey Keilbasa
  • 0.25 cup, Oil - Vegetable, canola
  • 1.00 tbsp(s), Spices - Salt, table
  • 1.00 tbsp(s), Black Pepper (Ground)
  • 1.00 tbsp(s), Seasoned Salt

Lil

Well, there is NO WAY you used a tablespoon of salt, pepper and seasoned salt! A teaspoon maybe. :) There are 3 tsps. in a tbsp. That'll cut a lot out. I left out the oil, but 1/4 cup sounds like an awful lot. Did you measure? I think you are guessing high there too.

But if you think that's bad, wait until you see the chili! It's very salty, because of all the canned tomatoes. But we'll manage. Maybe instead of Aldi we'll need to start buying a low-sodium type of veggies and tomatoes and such.

InsaneCdn

Even a teaspoon of salt is a LOT. We had to cut way back due to hubby's high blood pressure at one point. What I learned is...

1) use quality salt. NOT table salt. sorry - it tastes different. Use kosher salt, or sea salt.
2) use large-grained salt (see next point)
3) use GRAINS not spoons of salt. a couple pinches of high-quality salt will give you the flavor adjustment that salt brings... without the high sodium content.

Do NOT use half-salt - it tastes awful.

Do increase the use of other flavorings - garlic, onion, herbs, etc.

Never add salt at the table.

Lil

Even a teaspoon of salt is a LOT. We had to cut way back due to hubby's high blood pressure at one point. What I learned is...

1) use quality salt. NOT table salt. sorry - it tastes different. Use kosher salt, or sea salt.
2) use large-grained salt (see next point)
3) use GRAINS not spoons of salt. a couple pinches of high-quality salt will give you the flavor adjustment that salt brings... without the high sodium content.

Do NOT use half-salt - it tastes awful.

Do increase the use of other flavorings - garlic, onion, herbs, etc.

Never add salt at the table.

Not a problem, I started buying sea salt a bit ago. I have kosher, but tend to save that for baking and such. And yes, I think a tsp is more than he used. Probably 1/2 tsp. We'll need to start measuring.

InsaneCdn

I started replacing most salt measurements with "a pinch". Literally. And in most recipes it is enough.

Doesn't work for... salt-crusted, or most yeast breads (you can cut salt back by about half on most of those)...

Scent of Cedar *

Courtly love is the love a medieval knight felt for the Lady. It wasn't romantic in the usual ways, but involved honor ~ hers, and his. And her happiness, and his.

She was his reason, his loyalty, his quest and highest purpose.

That is how I think Jabber loves Lil.

I liked how he talked about protecting his sisters that time, too.

"There would be...consequences." I think is what he said.

A lady is a lady.

An eight foot doorway would be a knight's quest thing, right? No sense going off without accurate measurements if one's intention is to win the smile of the lady fair.

Cedar

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
How did I let this happen again.
Life has enough complications but factor in a difficult child and that takes all the focus and energy you have. It's so easy to become consumed by their dramas instead of taking care of ourselves.

The fact that you are even thinking about needing to make some changes in a good thing. Little by little and you will get there.

:flower:

dstc_99

Ok so I am going to suggest something simple for you. Try this eating plan. http://www.dashdietoregon.org/

Basically it is a healthy eating plan. Mostly the items can be bought precooked or cooked easily the night before. You pack it all and go. Even my picky hubby likes this one.

As for things like coffee creamers they have Torani sugar free syrups in the stores that are delicious options. The syrups are what they put in coffee drinks you get at fancy coffee shops.

Otherwise I try to plan lots of snacks that keep me busy. I know that sounds weird but if I can nibble all day and stay below my calorie level then I dont get hungry for big meals later. I love eating little things at my desk like carrots and sugar snap peas. I buy them ready to eat.

Confused

Im trying to read everything but Im just going to start from what I started to read! Just wanted to add any sense I have in ha! The foods, all great ideas, as I have no more to add. As far as the scheduling, Lil and Jabberwockey- you both are busy! Im still messing with my schedule as is so, Ill let you know how I did it when I ever figure it out. Of course all I can suggest for now is do you have any volunteers that can help you both with the dogs, or take the dogs with you to some places? Help you with any house chores?( sorry of mentioned)

Ok, as far as the dogs, I completely understand! We have had our rescues since Dec 2013( they were pups) and oh my have they cost us a lot in repair. Actually, we still have to repair! They have chewed through the drywall in the kitchen( you could see the outside brick), chewed 2 wood doors,a rake handle, rocks, water exchanger,expensive table, chairs, fence slats,toys, beds, pillows, blankets, siding,baby gate( separates them from living room but they jumped it so we have a temp piece of furniture there) , wires behind the refrigerator and whatever they can get from the drainboard! I think thats it? Ok, so, my point is its hard to stop them and will take lots of time and energy, maybe doggy classes? Mine are only just over a year and are Australian Shep mixes. So mine are already high maintenance. When we leave they are in the safest room possible( still chew the walls and yes, we have lots of toys, boxes, water, and try to exercise every time before we leave) So yes, kongs, they have actually gone through the KONG tennis balls and still have the rubber cones and rubber kong bones( im surprised) But freezing the treats may work and I will try that too as suggested! They dont carry the hard Kong balls as far as I can tell, so I gave them two basketballs. ( Yes they fight over them like yours)

I know you said yours chewed the nylabone and broke a tooth, what did your vet say? Our female is obsessed the most with this and her rock habits. I agree about the dog whisperer shows, I need to watch them again.

I just wanted to lend you both my support :) Hang in there

Jabberwockey

Of course all I can suggest for now is do you have any volunteers that can help you both with the dogs, or take the dogs with you to some places?

The one person who was helping a little bit has been kicked out for stealing! LOL! Seriously, without paying a dog sitter we have no help with this.

They have chewed through the drywall in the kitchen( you could see the outside brick), chewed 2 wood doors,a rake handle, rocks, water exchanger,expensive table, chairs, fence slats,toys, beds, pillows, blankets, siding,baby gate( separates them from living room but they jumped it so we have a temp piece of furniture there) , wires behind the refrigerator and whatever they can get from the drainboard! I think thats it?

Ok, our dogs are amateurs! We had our biggest chewing issue obviously when they were teething. The problem now is that Mac will get up on the end tables and eat whatever is there. We will have to do a SERIOUS cleaning before we can even consider leaving them alone. The problem with nylabones is when they chew its not for the sake of chewing, its for the sake of destruction. You probably missed the comment earlier about the fire hose toy. Foot long hunk of fire hose stuffed with the ends sewn shut. Instead of playing with it and chewing on it, they worked on the seams to tear them open.

InsaneCdn

measure your waist as well as your weight. if waist goes down and weight goes up then you gained muscle ... which is allowed. muscle weighs more than fat but is more compact

SuZir

When you are bigger person, few ponds tend to come and go without much rhyme or reason. I'm in fact at the lower range of normal weight and still my weight can vary 5 pounds or more just because. You need much longer period of time than a week to say anything sure about how your weight is developing.

Lil

Oh I know girls. (Lost 100 lbs a few years ago, remember?) But it still ticks me off to see that scale go UP instead of DOWN. Last week I was down 1.8, this week up 2.4. Really? Just very annoying.