Girls and I almost attacked by a swarm of bees!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We were hiking through the Wash/Arroyo back behind our house. We will not be able to do this much longer due the Rattlers and other critters coming out. Today it is going to be 87!
We are working on a photo project for K on why we should care about our environment.
Someone dumped a couple of couches in the wash and she wanted to take some photos.

We had walked a good ways and were walking back with Dexter. I had just let him off leash because we were nearing home.

N was ahead of us which turned out to be a good thing. I heard the loudest buzzing I have ever heard, K looks at me and screams a swarm is coming at us.
You could feel it moving across the Wash towards us.
It was huge! I screamed at her RUN!
I grabbed her arm and just started hauling b-u-t-t.
Dexter took off.

I screamed at N to run home.
We were able to pull ahead of it as it moved across the wash. When we got up a bit we stopped and I was shaking so hard. I pulled out my phone and told husband to come out and grab the girls so I could go and find Dexter.

A woman on a horse was coming up the wash and I warned her that a swarm had just traveled through. I told her Dexter had bolted, she pulled up and went over the ridge and started looking for him.

We found him up a ways and he looked like he had rolled in the mud a bit, I don't know if he got stung or not. But obviously he didn't get swarmed.

I can not tell you how scary it was.
We have been having a LOT of attacks in the past couple of months due to a wet winter and early spring plus with all of the vacant homes the bees have set up shop with no one getting rid of the hives.

totoro

Thanks T-
As I am reading up a bit it sounds like it is going to be a bad year for swarms here! Great. Luckily N didn't really realize what was going on, she is so freaked out by a fly in the house.
We have a real problem here with Africanized Bees here. All you can do once they swarm you is run and cover your head and face.

totoro

3 Shadows you snuck in! K actually wasn't really phased once we got home!??!! She is such a strange kid. She went back to being out of it which she has been for a couple of days now. I had to drag her to go on the hike with me and N.
I down played it to N so I got away with not much trauma with both girls luckily!
But it scared the heck out of me and husband. He could tell I was freaked out and I don't get freaked out by nature very often.

susiestar

Roll With It
How scary! I am so glad no one got stung. Maybe there are signs other than the sound that could help warn you if a swarm is coming or is likely?

I remember hearing my Gma tell about when my dad got attacked by a swarm of hornets. I think his dad mowed over them, or else my dad was using a toy mower and ran over the hive himself. He was about 5yo at the time. He ran but still was covered in stings from the hornets.

My father NEVER again mowed in shorts. Nor would he allow my brother to, not even if it was over 100 degrees. The way my dad described being stung is still very very vivid in my mind. I can only imagine how vivid it still is in his mind.

I hope the girls are not afraid to go outside or go exploring after this!

TerryJ2

Yikes! That's so scary.
Whew. Glad they didn't get you.
And I'm glad K is so resilient (at least, in this case). There's something to be said for being "in the moment." :)
Glad Dexter was okay, too.
Whew.

DammitJanet

Double Yikes!

That scared me just reading it. I am completely afraid of bees of any sort. One gets in the house and I am hiding under the bed covers screaming for someone to come get it...lol.

Glad you guys made the mad dash for home in time. Whew!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh my. I would have freaked, too - I am deathly afraid of bees - and probably extremely allergic - it has been years so I'm not totally sure really - but one paralyzes me. Oh. I am SO glad you all avoided them!!! HUGS!