good day - but all good things must end...

ksm

Especially because difficult child tells me that she has no homework for the weekend. I ask, so you are caught up in English? "No, but I have to do it at school, so I will stay after school next week." So there isn't any thing you can work on at home for English?? "No".

Well, it is about time to show her the email from her English teacher stating that what homework she has can be worked on at home this weekend. That she was a great kid... but not using class time wisely. Sent to me today.

Like I said, it hasn't been a bad day. She has been in a fairly decent mood. Almost a manic happy silly mood. Earlier in the week it was an "I am mad at the world" type of mood. She was furious at me yesterday because she saw that I had googled "bipolar teen" I guess I never realized that that stays in the google search area, even when you go on to new pages.

I just hate it when she lies about things. I was at work when she told me her "I have no homework that I am allowed to work on at home" speech. So, husband will tackle this one. I am tired of being the bad cop. That was one of the things we talked about at our first therapy meeting last night. I feel like he steps in and plays the good cop. I am stuck with the bad cop routine. I know there are times when one of us gets upset and it is easier to take a break and let the calmer parent handle it. KSM

ksm

well, the meltdown has happened. difficult child has yelled and screamed at husband... said even though he is her legal father, he is not a father to her in her heart. And I am never ever supposed to email or talk to her teachers again, It is her life and we need to butt out of it. This is what we put up with on at least a weekly basis or more often. She has been on the Seroquel for almost two weeks. About two more days and the dose doubles. Not sure if it will help or not. So tired of all this drama and hatefulness. KSM

InsaneCdn

KSM...

Ours was about the same age... slightly different problem, but needed an AP medication... initial dose was started higher than "usual", and wasn't enough - but psychiatrist didn't really want to go higher - danger in "over-medicating". We had to negotiate a trial at a higher dose... once we got the dose right, the drama, the over-the-top stuff, went down really fast.

medications don't solve all the problems. But it takes away the craziness and makes it possible to deal with the other stuff in a logical way.

Here's hoping the new dose has an impact...

{{hugs}}

T

TeDo

Some of that is typical typical teen stuff. My VERY easy child niece even went through a phase like that and she didn't have any major changes in her life to blame it on. It's very hard to differentiate behaviors at this age (I have 2 boys the same age) so I can totally sympathize with you.

{{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}

ksm

Some of that is typical typical teen stuff. My VERY easy child niece even went through a phase like that and she didn't have any major changes in her life to blame it on. It's very hard to differentiate behaviors at this age (I have 2 boys the same age) so I can totally sympathize with you.

{{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}

Thanks for the hugs... What does typical teen stand for? Temper Tantrum? Teen Tension? Also curious why difficult child is difficult child? Inquiring minds want to know, LOL.

Things are calm now - she did finally apologize and did so in such a way that felt sincere. Most apologies are the words, I'm sorry!! said sarcastically. Will hope for a better Saturday. KSM

InsaneCdn

You'll notice that some short forms have a dotted underline in the posts... difficult child, ADHD, and so on... typical teen is one of those. If you hoover over the underlined short-form with your mouse, the definition pops up. (I didn't know about that until recently.)

For the record, typical teen = Typical Teenager

keista

she did finally apologize and did so in such a way that felt sincere.
This is a very POSITIVE sign. Next time try to open a diologue when she apologizes. If her apology is sincere, then chances are that she's got some logical thought processing going on. Capitalize on that whenever possible for gentle behavior teaching moments.

typical teen = Typical Teen
AP = Antipsychotic
difficult child = gift from God (I'm guessing a tounge in cheek description of a difficult child)

When you see a dotted line under an acronym, just mouse over it and a small description will come up. Not all the ones we use are in the "library", but you were certainly thinking along the right lines for typical teen.

ksm

This is a very POSITIVE sign. Next time try to open a diologue when she apologizes. If her apology is sincere, then chances are that she's got some logical thought processing going on. Capitalize on that whenever possible for gentle behavior teaching moments.

When she apologized I motioned for her to sit down on the edge of the bed with me and she winced... didn't want to talk about it. So I just gave her a hug and let it go, but said we would talk later. But she won't want to talk later, as that would bring up bad feelings again. So she wants to pretend that everything is fine until the next meltdown. Just hope it isn't today. KSM

T

TeDo

I can sympathize with that. difficult child used to HATE talking about a meltdown after he'd calmed down. Now that we have, finally, found the right medication combination he is able to process it with me. However, because of his Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) (I think anyway), he doesn't remember the alternatives we discussed the next time a meltdown occurs. Good luck.

keista

Ksm, baby steps. DD1 doesn't actually talk about her behavior or bad feelings either, but she does listen. Don't push the talk if she's gonna go off the deep end again. But even if she's not participating in the conversation, she's learning that this is the way "normal" ppl solve conflicts = talking. A life long tool.

crazymama30

KSM, I have had that very thing happen with difficult child more times than I can count, hugs. I too hate the drama and the hatefullness, the meanness that seems to ooze from their pores. I know for us, I can see a huge difference when the medications are right. Another trigger for my difficult child is when there is something going on in life that just bothers him, or if he is worried about something. That seems to make him much more inflexible and explosive.