Good Morning Saturday

Marguerite

G'day, folks.

It's late Saturday night here, nobody has started the morning thread yet so I figured I would.

It's been hot and humid here today, I hoped to get to the beach but we've had a series of storms, and if there's one thing I hate, it's going to the beach after a storm, and all the sand is wet o the surface, dry underneath and sticks to everything.

So I stayed home and we got some jobs done. Yesterday I painted an outdoor window frame (it's part of a garden feature) and today husband finished the benchtop insert, he was varnishing it. It needs another couple of varnish coats and it's done. A good thing - husband is back to work on Monday, then the electrician is coming on Tuesday to put in the new cooktop.

I was watching a gardening program this afternoon when they showed a segment on grafting citrus trees. I've been meaning to have a go at that, I've got all the stuff I need, so I went out and had a go. The mozzies loved me (after all the damp weather - even the Spanish moss is looking green!) so I went back inside and covered up. So the mozzies went for the bits that weren't covered - the tips of my ears and my knuckles.
I hate mozzies.

But hopefully I have a couple of grafts which should take. I'm going to need to practice this, but to buy a multi-graft citrus tree is ridiculously expensive, I want to grow my own. I have a rootstock tree (aka "Poor Man's Orange") so I should be able to do this fairly easily. It's loaded with fruit at the moment.

They also had some good tips on growing tomatoes into the colder weather - I'm going to give that a go too. I went out and began digging over my veggie bed, but got interrupted by another storm. They blow up fast here. I'll have to finish the veggie bed tomorrow then put in some seed. I've neglected the garden for months, what with the weddings and being so sick.

I still need my Vitamin D, but maybe I can get it by gardening in my swimsuit!

After I gave up on gardening, we decided to go and invade mother in law for dinner again. We took our own dinner but ate it with her, to keep her company and make sure she's eating. The Edinburgh Military Tattoo was on, she always watches it because we have family there and she remembers seeing it live one year they were there.

The forecast for tomorrow is a little cooler, then over the next few days it will be getting hotter with no chance of rain to relieve it. I might use the opportunity to do another coat of paint on my window garden feature, then I'll order the mirrored glass for it. Once that is in, I can put in the water feature with it as well. Then comes the fun of planting! Bromeliads and orchids, mainly. A tropical corner, but shady.

Enjoy your Saturday, everyone.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning,

Marg-Your day seems like it was packed full! Sorry you didn't get to the beach but it sounds like with the coming forecast you will be able to!

We made it home last night very late. What was supposed to be a 5 1/2 hour drive turned out to be much longer because we hit a bunch of lake effect snow. It was very heavy and near white out conditions. husband did a great job of taking it slow and keeping us safe!

We had a fantastic time in Michigan. easy child and difficult child loved hanging out with our great nieces and nephews and we had special meals and hung out with family and close friends. We were at the hospital a couple of time to visit with husband's dad and he and I were able to sneak in some dominoes!

As much fun as we had it's good to be home. The temps, however, are a rude awakening. Right now it is -4 with a windchill of -19:coldday:

Not much on the agenda today; we need to catch up on sleep and get in a workout!

Wishing everyone a peaceful day:flower:

Rabbit

Good Morning Marg, Sharon, And friends yet to post on this thread.

Marg- Hope u get to the beach soon.
Sharon- Hope u get some rest and have a peaceful day.

Nothing much is new here. Its also very cold here and I hate the cold winter!

Sending Hugs to all! Rabbit

maril

Good afternoon (I just finished work and could not post sooner; that is, in the morning).

Marg - I much enjoyed reading about your activities. The mental visualization provides me a break from what I see when I look out the window here - sunless skies with snow-covered ground (and I can feel some of the cold seeping into the house - need to do some additional insulating).
WO - glad to hear you made if home safely and that you enjoyed the time with your family! I bet your father-in-law appreciated the time with you.
Rabbit - stay warm! I am trying to keep warm, too. husband wants to go out tonight but I am kind of reluctant to go out in the cold; we'll see.

A great day and weekend to all! :happy_new_year:Happy New Year (a day late)!