Has anyone else contacted their Senators and Reps?

DDD

husband and I took time last night to send our opinions on the balanced budget to "our" elected officials. I gather that thousands of Americans are sharing their input as the result of the President's invitation to all taxpayers to do so. Just wondering if anyone else has called or emailed in an attempt to let those who make the decisions know that we are watching closely. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
DDD, could you please share some of your wording? The opinion doesn't matter so much, but I'd like to hear what type of wording is used.

I've written letters or signed petitions over the years, but this particular issue has me a bit stymied - and it's because I guess I really don't fully understand it or the ramifications of a decision either way.

I'm not trying to turn this thread political so if you want you can pm me. Thanks.

Josie

I did. I sent one sentence telling them what I thought they should do. I figured they would be getting so many e-mails, they would just tally up the letters for and against their position.

One of them sent me a very long auto-return e-mail with her reasons about why she wasn't going to do what I wanted. The other one sent me just a generic "thank you for your e-mail" response. I'm sure he disagrees with me, too, but at least he didn't try to convince me I was wrong.

After I got the long e-mail, I did send another one that was more detailed about what I think. I'll probably get the same response back that I did the first time.

The first time my wording was something like "Please vote (for/against) raising the debt ceiling (with/without) increased revenue."

DDD

I simply said "As a registered X Party member and consistent voter I want to share that I feel strongly about the balanced budget stalemate. It is my strong opinion that compromise is necessary between the deciding Parties. My family and friends are hardworking middle class Americans who do not support placing the burden on those in need of services and the citizens hardest hit by the economic downturn. (I added a sentence that probably would be considered political regarding increased tax revenue.) Please pay attention to the communications you are receiving and compromise." That was about it. I didn't do word for word on each of them but it only took about fifteen minutes using the internet. It made us feel better to express ourselves and according to the National news a whole lot of others felt the same way. DDD

DDD

Hope, I got two electronic responses. They were basically generic. The third evidentally was overwhelmed with contact and I got a "kinda" polite notice that they could not receive or respond to more at this time. If nothing else it will show that we care although frankly I think they are playing "chicken" with no regard to voters....until the next election, lol. DDD

BusynMember

DDD, I like your letter and may steal it to send to my representatives. I feel very strongly about this issue and follow politics closely so I DO understand the ramifications of not raising the debt ceiling. I am actually furious at both sides for not just doing what needs to be done so that the average person won't suffer. I'm ready to vote everyone out who is currently in office.

muttmeister

I've emailed them all repeatedly. I get the standard, generic response. According to the polls I read I'm pretty sure that what I want is what the majority of people want but two of the three in our state are opposed. Last night I listened to a phone meeting with our congressman. People pretty much had the same concerns I have but of course he answered in political-speak meaning he's going to do what the party says, not what the people want and if only we were smarter we'd know he is right and we are all wrong. I'd call him a name here but I don't want to insult Star's favorite animal.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
DDD, I've written to my state reps when the state gov't was shut down. Now I've written on the federal level about the debt ceiling. It's time to "play nice".

flutterby

Fly away!
So many people responded that servers crashed. It's great that so many people are getting involved. Our politicians need to remember that they are elected to represent us (republic = representative democracy), and not their party line. They all seem to have forgotten that.

DDD

I don't know that the politicians care what the messages say. I am, however, assuming that the response of the public will show that the voters are eager to visit the polls and express their views.
They may think it's possible to "lay the blame" on the other guy but "it takes two to tango". DDD

DammitJanet

I know...yes, I have my representatives contact info bookmarked...lol. Sometimes that worries me because my mother was the Queen of Continuous Letter Writing. She flooded everyone at the Republican Party, the FBI, CIA, and the White House. Thankfully my last name is now different than hers...lol.

I tend to think our emails go straight into some sort of spam folder truthfully. In the old days I think there were at least some letters that were read. I wrote President Nixon when I was 8 and he actually wrote me back! I sure wish I had that letter now.

DDD

My sister is a bit like your Mother, Janet. She and her husband are RIGID in their political views and completely believe that they are the only ones in the family who "understand". They only watch news on one channel and she honestly told me that she "couldn't believe that my husband and I read Time magazine". Huh? Last time I visited she told me proudly that she "regularly calls and writes the White House".

As you said, thank heavens we don't share the last name. LOL DDD