God answered my prayers

Californiablonde

I posted awhile ago about having to work this summer, the first summer I have not been able to live off of savings since I first started work here eleven years ago. Since my son is older, I no longer get the tax credit, hence getting a much smaller amount this year. So I only had one month worth of savings, and I don't work for two whole months.

Well due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to spend most of my savings. I only have $500 left to last me all summer! I applied to 3 different temp agencies, with no luck. Well sort of no luck. The first one told me that they mostly cater to men working construction. Office work is very, very rare, but she gave me her card to call in June just in case. Honestly, at this point I was even willing to accept minimum wage.

The second place called me in for an interview after reviewing my resume online, and when I got there they informed me that their work is permanent employment. I have no idea why they call themselves a temp agency, but they do. Anyway, once again I was given a card and told to call back end of June, just in case they happened to get any temp work.

I left feeling very discouraged. The third place never contacted me, but they were my last hope. I was really panicking, having no money to pay my rent and bills. Then a great opportunity came up at my school district. We all got an email saying there were a TON of positions for textbook inventory, filing, and sorting class materials. The positions are for five weeks.

Of course I jumped on the opportunity. I literally applied not even five minutes after I received the email. A whole bunch of people in the district and my office applied for all of the positions too. They all received emails a few days later saying they were hired. I didn't. I was devastated. I have no idea why everybody else got in, but I didn't.

My supervisor kept telling me not to give up hope, maybe they just hadn't emailed me yet. Then a few days later I found out even more ladies in my office got jobs. I still didn't get an email, and this is a few short days before my summer vacation officially begins. Well two days ago I finally got the email. I am hired! I will be working at one of the elementary schools doing inventory. My prayers are answered! Today is my last day of work at my regular job, then I have all of next week off. After next week, I will begin my temp job and work through mid August.

The position pays more than I thought I would be getting at a regular temp agency. I figured on making ten or eleven dollars and hour, but this job pays eighteen an hour. It's still less than what I make at my regular job, but I will take it!

I have been through a lot of stress in the last couple of weeks, and this is one MAJOR thing I can stop worrying about. With the relationship of mine that ended very badly, and having all these mixed emotions (still going through it,) and a bunch of people I am close to going through their own crisis, this lack of job thing was sending me over the edge.

Then there's my daughter, who attempted suicide a few weeks ago. We had gotten into an argument, I left to meet my mom at church, and she blew up my phone with texts saying if I didn't come home right now, she would take every one of my Xanax pills and kill herself. My son called me frantically, saying she had the pill bottle in her hand (I hide my Xanax, she couldn't find it, so she chose to take some of her own psychiatric medications) and she had the water and she was on the verge of taking the pills.

I had them on speaker phone, my daughter was crying uncontrollably, saying nobody cared about her anymore and she didn't see any reason to live. She had also had a very vivid dream about heaven awhile back, and she said God gave her a sign she wasn't meant to be on this earth anymore. My son forcefully took the bottle of pills away from her, and I was able to talk her down from committing the act. When I got home, we had a long talk, and she was back to normal, well normal for her anyway.

At our next doctor's appointment, we talked about the incident, and he sort of blew it off. He asked to speak to me alone, and basically told me my daughter needs therapy ASAP, which I agreed. I have been trying to find a good therapist that is close by, takes our insurance, and will work around my schedule. Not easy. My mom offered to start taking her a couple months ago because even back then we saw the need for therapy, but that fell through.

My stepdad got in a major motorcycle accident, was in the hospital for a few months, and is now partially paralyzed. He is at home now, but is unable to do anything for himself, so my mom is his full time caregiver. She no longer has time to do anything else, and I fee like I can't confide in her about anything anymore because she is all consumed with my stepdad. I don't blame her, but after all the events that have gone down, I feel lost.

Anyway, at least one of my prayers have been answered, a MAJOR prayer, and I am at least relieved about that. I am still going through a lot, but I no longer have to worry about the financial stuff. Today is my last day of work at the high school till September, I will have a week to wind down and hopefully relax before the next job. I need the distraction, as well as the money, so this is a great opportunity. Thank you to whoever has read this far, I know I am being long winded. I just wanted to share my good news.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm happy for you and proud of you for your tenacity under so much pressure. You've done such a great job CB, with everything on your plate......sending you a great big hug. And, don't forget to celebrate and do something KIND and NURTURING for yourself.

Californiablonde

I'm happy for you and proud of you for your tenacity under so much pressure. You've done such a great job CB, with everything on your plate......sending you a great big hug. And, don't forget to celebrate and do something KIND and NURTURING for yourself.
Thank you so much I appreciate the kind words. I have a whole week off before starting the other job, so I think I will squeeze in a little summer reading. I guess that's my way of celebrating. I don't drink, but a hot bath and a good book will do the trick. I have needed some down time soooo badly, and this will be nice.

Lil

Oh my what a rough time! I'm so glad the temp job come thru and at even better money than you expected! You take care of yourself dear and hang in there.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Congrats! I'm glad the summer job came through. Give yourself some credit, too, not just God! Praying may be good for you, but action helps too. I hope the time goes quickly and that you earn enough to take care of your needs during the rest of the summer.

I'm sorry to hear about your stepdad's severe injuries. I'm also sorry for your mother having to be a caregiver. been there done that, it isn't easy at all.

It's going to be rough to figure out how to handle some of the stuff you've depended on your mother for in the past, but in the long run, I think it may be good for you.

I hope there are good resources for your mother in CA. Suggest she get in touch with caregiver's support groups and look into what's available in terms of respite care, therapy, etc. There was very little of that when i was caring for husband in IL, and it was rough.

Californiablonde

Okay ladies I am starting to panic. Originally, there were two groups of people who were hired to start this summer job. The first group started June 27th, the second group, like me, July 5th. Well around June 30th we got an email from her saying the first batch of work was completed way faster than they expected, so those of us starting July 5th were being put on hold.

However, the group that started June 27th were to continue to work. I felt nervous so I emailed the lady and asked her if she had any idea when I may start the job. She emailed me back and told me that they are getting a new shipment of materials in, she didn't know how long it would take to process them, but once they were processed the work would begin.

So July 3rd she sends out a mass email to a bunch of us stating she has been getting a lot of us contacting her to find out when we will be starting. I think a bunch of people were very concerned just like I was. Anyway, she told us that we would most likely be starting within a week, And she told all of us NOT to contact her. So now it's July 11th. Still no word. My biggest fear is they didn't get as much work in as they thought they would, and now they no longer need us. I have no money left except the little bit of child support I get. I don't qualify for public assistance. I've tried. I desperately need this job to come through. Please continue to keep me in prayer!

Lil

Well, wow...not sure what to say about that. Can you draw unemployment during the summer when you aren't working? Probably not, but that's all I can think of other than starting with the temp agencies again. After all, if they call you tomorrow you can tell the temp agencies you found work.

AppleCori

Cali,

Did the job come through?

What about the temp agency?

You should be able to get emergency food assistance through a church or other organization, so you can save your cash.

Hope you are doing OK!

Appl

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Try Catholic Charities. They help everyone, not matter their faith or lack thereof.

I survived off of their largesse for nearly a year when I first moved to N. WI.

What's weird about them is that while they will help all, you have to be a member of the parish to volunteer, as I found when I tried to "give back".