headache

buddy

AWWWW he really is sweet. I love those moments when Q actually has not had time to think (and then stop himself, lol) and he has quickly said, oh mom are you ok or he comes and rubs a sore spot etc.

Can be really nice.

DammitJanet

Well damn near dying shook my boys to their core. Especially Cory. I had just had a huge fight with Cory and he had just come out of jail and until I re-read some threads on this board I didnt remember a whole lot of what went on during that time period. Tony, Cory and Billy had to fill in most of the blanks that were Sept and Oct 2008 for me because of my illness. When Cory realized he came about () that close to being in jail when I almost died, it really turned him around. Not to mention that illness also stopped Jamie from going to Iraq. Considering I lived, not a bad thing all in all.

southermama3

aww malika!! My lil man does sweet stuff like that too.

Sometimes it takes something as drastic as losing someone or nearly losing someone before they will straighten up. Unfortunate but true. =^{

susiestar

Roll With It
Artifical sweeteners are a HUGE migraine trigger according to my pain doctor.

Contrary to others, motrin is NOT the best migraine medications. Triptans are specifically designed to treat migraine pain. For most migraine sufferers, motrin does very little to relieve the pain and other symptoms. I am glad that it helps some of you. There is another HUGE problem if you take motrin for migraines even once a week. Motrin and other NSAIDS can cause what is known as a rebound headache. The body thinks it NEEDS the motrin and creates a headache to get you to take it, rather than having other things trigger migraines. This has turned out to be a HUGE problem for many migraine patients, esp those who take excedrin (which is almost identical to excedrin migraine but has a far lower price tag here).

If you have more than 3 migraines a month, a preventative medicine is something to consider. There are a LOT of preventatives available and many of them are very inexpensive. When the $4 medication list came out the preventative I was on actually went UP in price to be on the list. You need to let your doctor know what is going on and if possible to keep a headache diary. there are many forms that you can print to use for this. You should also look up common migraine trigger foods and see if eliminating some or all will help. If you keep a diary, listing the processed foods you eat, esp the meats like bacon, hot dogs, etc..., and other trigger foods can help you find a pattern. Not all are as easy to see as you would think. If I eat more than 2 small servings of processed meat in a day, I have a migraine 2 days later. I was in some migraine research as a teen and this was the only real pattern we could find besides a huge reaction to MSG.

I also suggest taking a benadryl for a headache caused by artificial sweeteners. They don't "fix" the migraine, but for some people they do really help. Same thing for MSG headaches (used to be called chinese food migraines because so much MSG is put into chinese food or used to be). For me the benadryl helps the headache go away faster by calming reactions that help make it worse.

I hope your headache is gone, and that you can get some help preventing them and some more effective medications to treat them. If you cannot swallow triptans but they work, some come in injectable form and even a nasal inhaler form - at least imitrex used to. I know maxalt comes in tablets and in a tablet that dissolves under your tongue. That might help with the stomach/esophageal problems.

DammitJanet

I got caught in the rebound headache trap back in my teens. I had them so often I was going through a bottle of aspirin a week. I never left home without that bottle..and I am talking about the big bottle. Eventually I was put in the hospital for a couple of days while they put me on a stronger medication for my headaches to stop them cold, then gave me a smaller amount to take just as needed and a do not us aspirin at all for headaches. I used Midrin for several years after that for the migraines but they stopped after I got pregnant. I think hormones had something to do with them.

buddy

Hormones???? Well remember I told you guys the day Q went in the hospital I started these hot flashes. I have had none of them since the week after he came home. But I also did not have my cycle since the end of Sept. The day after the headache... it started. I know I am at that age and I am actually hoping that I can go months without or have it gone for good. but it could also be that it all stopped because of the extreme stress and inability to eat well for a while.

In any event the headache left when my cycle came so I may have blamed innocent diet oatmeal (or it could have been both).

susiestar

Roll With It
I would probably think it was both if it was me. Simply because I know that diet sweeteners cause so many headaches. But hormones are also a trigger. THough with hormones you would probably have some history of cycle related headaches/migraines. Given the age and probably perimenopause, you should talk to your doctor about the headaches. There is a LOT than can be done, even if they are cycle related.

One of the biggest bonus gifts that I got with my hysterectomy was a huge reduction in migraines. It didn't end them all by a long shot, but it did remove one major trigger. I am NOT saying you should look into that, but there ARE ways that can help with cycle related headaches.

Do you like herbal tea? On one of my migraine boards there are a LOT of women who say that certain teas are a big help with stress and headaches. Tension tamer by celestial seasoning is one (I loved it long before I heard of this - even thank you likes it and he drinks it when his asthma acts up because the warmth helps. But it also helps him sleep then.). Tazo has a Calm tea that is also supposed to be really helpful. You can buy it at most Starbucks by the cup and many groceries carry it by the box. Just don't buy a box at Starbucks because it will cost a LOT more than at the grocery.

Feverfew is also very helpful. It helps prevent headaches AND it can be a HUGE help wtih pms and perimenopause grumpiness. Be sure to use a medication checker like the one at drugs.com to make sure it won't interfere with any medications you are taking.

buddy

thanks. all I take is tramadol for back pain, nothing else. I have had on and off headaches the day before a period. But since I hadn't had one for so long (and I used to be very regular, this is my first experience with this schedule change really) I just didn't think of it. for sure I have had headaches from artificial sweetener too so you are right, probably both. I wasn't knocked out from it, probably because of the tramadol...but I tried to add tylenol, then tried aleve and actually the aleve did help a tiny bit. Mostly, I just woke without it and mother nature hit.

I will ask the doctor but if it only happens once in a while like that I dont fell the need for medications, but if it becomes routine for sure I would try things. I will check into the natural things you mentioned though.