Help plz / Don't know what they're called or where to find it..........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Those things people are downloading books onto. No clue what they're called. I did see nichole's in person, much larger than I expected. I'm seriously considering getting Travis one for xmas, which means I have to do it asap. He has finally admitted his vision has gotten much worse. I think this will help him be able to continue to enjoy reading as it will make the print much larger....at least I hope it will.

Thanks

T

TeDo

I think what you are talking about is a Kindle. There is also the Nook but that one is a little smaller. Happy hunting.

BusynMember

They're called E-Readers and they sell them everywhere. There are all types with various degrees of functions. I heard The Nook is good. Look on Amazon's website or Barnes and Noble :)

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Sounds like a Kindle - I have just a regular one, but bought Jamie a Kindle Fire for Xmas (hoping he will let mom play with it)

Marcie

donna723

The basic Kindle that was over $100 last year is now selling for about $79 on Amazon. My son has one and he loves it! You can even "borrow" some e-books from public libraries now and there's lots of books that you can download for free too. I got my son a gift card for his Kindle this year and when I was looking for that on the Amazon website I noticed that they were advertising lots of textbooks too but I didn't get in to it enough to see what they had available.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks! I'll look into them both. Nichole's was a Nook. Such simple names and yet I couldn't think of it to save my life. lol

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm a Kindle user. I have the older K2 as I got mine a couple of years ago. You can enlarge the fonts. The newer versions also allow you to switch fonts.

Also, you are not limited to Amazon for books. If you download a freeware program called Caliber you can get books off of other sites, c onvert them to Kindle format and transfer them from your computer to your Kindle.

I have handled the newer K3 where you get a steep discount for allowing advertising on the device. It's not at all intrusive. The ads show up instead of the standard screen savers.

JJJ

If you get a Kindle touch ($99) or the more expensive ones, it also has text to voice option for some books. We went with Kindle instead of Nook cause we read a couple reviews that said you could get more books and often cheaper for Kindle than Nook -- looking at the expense down the road.

T

TeDo

Just saw an ad on tv that there is some sort of special on Kindles for $79 at Radio Shack.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I ordered him the Nook plus a book by a favorite author to get him started.

And since I got the hang of this online ordering thingie..............I finished my xmas shopping while I was at it. I'm only slightly irritated that the food dehydrator easy child wanted might not arrive before xmas......although 3-5 shipping days would still put it before xmas........but I got it for about 40.00 or more cheaper than where I was originally going to order it from. :)

One more gift to order and I'm DONE. If my internet will remain stable enough. omg lol

SRL

Just saw an ad on tv that there is some sort of special on Kindles for $79 at Radio Shack.

I believe if you go up to the $99 Kindle Touch then you have the ability to enlarge the text. It also has text-to-speech for listening.

Heads up to anyone buying a $79 Kindle--they don't come with power cords. Those are $10 extra.

Can you tell I've been checking them out. :)

DammitJanet

I was going to mention the $10 gift card at Radio Shack...lol. But I have an off brand..(pandigital) which is just as good and I love it. It orders off the BN website but I normally get my books elsewhere. Calibre is wonderful.

S

Signorina

Pbi-my $79 kindle came with a USB cord which charges the kindle when attached to the computer. I use the USB to AC converter from my iPod to charge it thru an outlet. Hth