Hi I'm new here

jenbug

I have a 14 year old (15 in August) son. He has been diagnosed with mild Tourettes, which he takes Clonidine for. Also diagnosed with ODD.

ODD the thing that is going to kill me!

He refuses to submit to authority.
Been suspended from 9th grade 3times,sneaks out at night, took my car, all E's in school, skips, is tardy, constantly teases and harasses my 13 yr old daughter, smokes cigarettes, smokes pot, laughs when I cry, laughs when I'm angry, hates my husband (his adoptive father), has zero ambition and yet ....We still have hope for him.

Please tell me what all of the abbreviations mean. I want to get hip to your lingo!

Thanks

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>Welcome to the site...

Its a great place to come to learn, vent, and get a little compassion. Glad you found us....</span>

:salute:

smallworld

Welcome!

Sorry for all the questions, but your answers will help us point you in the right direction.
What kind of doctor diagnosed your son? When was his last evaluation? Is a doctor treating him now? Is he in any kind of therapy?
Tourette's is a highly co-morbid condition. Has he been diagnosed with anything else, such as ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), depression, etc?
Does he have an IEP in school?
How does he do with peers?

You might want to pick up a copy of The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. It has helped many of us on this board parent our extra-challenging children.

When you get a chance, please go to "My Stuff" at the top of the page and create a profile similar to mine at the bottom of my post. It helps us keep everyone straight when resonding to posts.

Again, welcome. You will find a lot of support here.

missdot

Welcome! I hope that you find a lot of support and understanding in this sight. It's nice to know we are not alone!!!

branbran

First I want to say thank you for your warm response to my "pitty" post. :smile:

Welcome, I'm still pretty new here myself, about a month, this site has helped me a great deal. You will find lot's of comfort and support here. I have. Sorry you are having a rough time with your son. I know what that's like. It's very sad to watch your children give themselve's such little credit, why can't they see the potential they possess? It drive's me crazy. I try to keep the hope, the hope that one day something will work, something will make the difference.

Hang in there. I will keep you in my prayer's.

jenbug

Your profile thingy says you sent your son to wilderness...

We have our difficult child son signed up for outward bound for a month in august. Did it help your son at all? How old was he when he went?
thanks
jennie

Hello and welcome to this wonderful site. You will find many others who have been there done that! I would highly suggest that you do the profile and add a signature that will appear at the end of each of your posts. Only as much info as you are comfy with, it helps those of us who are...well over the age of remember stuff! LOL!! :smile:

Hugs of welcome,
Vickie

JoeyzMom n more

I am new here also. I am also new to the "chat" thing. I have mostly used the computer for research. But I was hoping to get a more personal veiw.
I have recently been struggling with new and scary developments with my 9yo difficult child and finally realized I needed some support.
I am happy to have found this sanctuary and appreciate what I have read so far!

jenbug

Ok - I added the profile stuff.

Now, on to the answers for you.

He was diagnosed by me,then our family doctor and then a neurologist. He was last seen by his psychiatrist last week. He is in therapy with a psychologist. The psychiatrist thinks he has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies. I think he also has ADHD. But, officially he has been diagnosed with Tourettes and ODD. We are going to revisit the ADHD
with the psychiatric on his next visit.

Please explain IEP to me.

Peers, well, he goes through them like water. He always has people he is hanging out with but, they change quite often. He has one girl that he's been in "love" with for 2 years and she is very troubled herself and she treats him like dirt. He continues to be friends with her whenever she feels like it and then when she is done with him she calls him ":censored2:" & "loser" etc.
He is easily offended and really self centered. So, I'm sure that puts people off.

Thanks for caring
Jennie

PS:I'm getting the book tomorrow.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jennie

Welcome to the board. :grin:

An IEP is an Idividual Education Plan or Program (I've used the abbreviation so long I forget the last word lmao) You can request this for your difficult child at school to get him the extra help he needs there.

I'm glad you found us.

Hugs

Sunlight

hi there!
welcome aboard! I know what you mean about the part where they laugh when you cry. you know, my ex did that, as well as ant when he was younger. I found that to be so troubling! so uncaring!

I have to say ant grew out of it. now if he sees me cry, he hugs. your son will grow up and mature one way or another. even with their DXs they do become adults one day. it is getting there that is a pain!