HI-Just got a call!!!

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by klmno, Oct 16, 2009.

  1. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    I am getting a job offer from HI! They apparently emailed it yesterday but made a mistake in my email address (common problem). I am so nervous!! Please rattle beads that it is doable and they will negotiate/be flexible. They are resending it in a few mins.
  2. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    My mom will flip.
  3. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Alooooooo-HAAAAA! Woo-hoooo!!! I hope it meets your financial requirements! Rattlin' coconuts and waving palm fronds in hopes it's what you need! :hawaii_girl:
  4. klmno

    klmno Active Member


    My mind is racing- what if I can't find a good temp placing for dogs, etc. Ohhh....I sooooo need this to work.
  5. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Cross that bridge when you get to it!
  6. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    It WILL come together!!!


    I am THRILLED for you!

    Next Board get together at K's house!!!
  7. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    How great is that? I'm so happy for you!
  8. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Thank you all so much! I rec'd it- it's the minimum and no relocation expenses. I am waiting for me to call me back to get some questions answered. I have to give them an answer by Mon. afternoon- evening my time. That part is good.

    Yes- you all are welcome to come visit and/or have a board get together there- even if it requires a virtual get-together!! It might be on the lanai though because "k's house" might be a small studio apt with difficult child sleeping on the sofa. LOL!!

    It sure would be nice to get an offer from the place I interviewed at yesterday this afternoon so I wouldn't feel so pressured. I need to see difficult child.
  9. Suz

    Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

    What a fun offer to entertain! Good luck with your decision-making! I take it you have scoped out housing to make sure that the minimum they are offering will pay the rent, etc?

  10. lmf64

    lmf64 New Member

    I hope you work out something for the dogs. I'd love to keep them for you and live within easy driving of an airport with direct service to HI, but not allowed pets where we live now.
  11. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Still waiting on them to call to answer my questions. I now have a head ache. LOL! Yes, I have checked on housing using craigslist for listings with photos. I can get a 2 BR place. The issue is affording to get out there, the dogs, making sure there is no problem with job and Department of Juvenile Justice to come back and get difficult child, figuring out if it is financially feasible to take the car, etc. I'm going to wait until I get some questions answered- they were supposed to call me shortly, today. Anyway, difficult child told me last night that his behavioral counselor told him he had finished his Department of Juvenile Justice requirements- except for finalizing length of stay/release date and that they were discussing letting him out earlier than Feb. as he requested in a letter to the director of the facility. I'm going to call them and see if 1) there is ANY chance that they will let him out even earlier so he can go out there when I go, and 2) if not, can they be a little flexible on the date of release to work it around when I can take a few days off in Feb.

    I think they have to update/re-activate my clearance before I can be formally hired and that could take a while. This is one of my big questions for them- especially since I have not been able to make some payments on things for the past couple of months and it has effected my credit, which could hurt me getting the clearance re-activated. But, I think it will still go thru because I had excellent credit before- always- and they can see that this just suddenly happened the past few months and the creditors know I plan to work with them on re-payment as soon as I have a job in hand. The biggest issue is how long it will take to get the clearance confirmed. I really hope we are looking at a couple of weeks instead of months.
  12. rejectedmom

    rejectedmom New Member

    I hope all works out for the best.
  13. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    Told ya. :D

    Keeping fingers crossed you can find a way to make this work. Sooooo exciting. Keep us updated!!
  14. everywoman

    everywoman Active Member

    Yeah K!!! I am excited for you.
  15. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Just got off the phone getting some questions answered- these people at HR are being very nice! But....I will get NO relocation expenses paid- not even my plane ticket. So, I said since I have to put SOoooo much money out up-front and I have 20 years of experience in my job, is there any way I could start out getting paid more. She's checking on this and going to have someone get back to me with the answer.

    She said the process with the clearance and so forth will take a month- she said sometimes it's more like 2 months but if I get the paperwork in quickly, all could be ready to go in about 6 weeks - as an estimate. I'm not sure how to keep things afloat in this house for another six weeks and go that long without pay, and still afford to move out there. But, I'll look into that this weekend. If it's going to take that long- and they give approx. 30 days for the person to relocate after finalizing the offer once the clearnace comes thru- then it does work in the favor of trying to get difficult child released to go with me. That would eliminate my paranoia that I'd get out there and something would happen that would prevent me from coming back to get him. Plus, it would save me about 1500 in plane tickets to get back and fly him out.

    Oh- there are no base privileges as a DOD employer unless stationed oversees, so that wouldn't apply. So- no commissary savings- but she said there were places like the local theater that gave discounts to DOD employees. Ok-- at least I know this stuff up front. On a good note- you get more vacation time after so many years working for them and my time in the military counts toward those years.

    You ladies are the best- you do know that you are the only ones keeping me sane, hopeful;, and both feet on the ground all at the same time, right?? There will always be a spot in my home and in my heart for you!!

    Gosh- I hope difficult child calls tonight!

    Lisa- you always make me smile!! thank you, Lady!
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  16. everywoman

    everywoman Active Member

    Start selling now. Sell everything but precious memories, photographs, and things you can't bear to part with. Have a yard sale every weekend. Advertise on Craig's List. The less you take, the less you have to put out for relocation. It's just stuff. Look to rent a furnished place or efficiency until you can afford more. This is a chance to really start over.
  17. Star*

    Star* call 911........call 911

    :hawaii_girl:These are the LUCKY LUCKY klmno-go dancers wishing you all the best. :hawaii_girl:Monohaliekalia.....means you're moving...;) er something like that. My Polynesian is non-existant. lol
  18. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    EW had a great idea!!

    Yep, yep. The less stuff you take with you the cheaper the move will be. Craig's list, yard sales, cheap cycle......lots of ways to dispose for cash. Second hand shops will buy any clothes you no longer want, same for alot of household items.

    My sister flea marketed in HI in a big way. Said she saved a ton that way. Could be you could replace alot of your household stuff for not very much at all. But it's got to be cheaper than moving it over there.

    Soooooo excited for ya!!! :D :D
  19. Abbey

    Abbey Spork Queen

    Congrats!! Yes, sell, sell, sell. If the job doesn't come through, at least you've cleaned house.:D You'd be amazed once you do this how much stuff you really don't need. Heck - I came out here without even a bed and you know what? A $30 air mattress worked just fine for the first few months.

  20. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Good morning, Ladies and thank you all again! I love the cute posts here!

    I didn't sleep well last night- fortunately this time it wasn't due to the same worries as it has been. LOL! I'm going to start writing a budget and working backwards- I had started this last week but now I need to refine it and create two- one for the scenario of me going alone, then returning for difficult child- which also means temp placement for the dogs. The other would be for me stretching out my move until difficult child is released and all of us going at once. The dogs would still need to be quarantined but it would only be for a few weeks by that time so I think that would be worth the quarantine fee and having them there where we could visit. Of course, I will need to call Department of Juvenile Justice Monday and see if there is ANY flexibility for difficult child's release date- if not, they best be setting it quickly.

    Anyway, the budgets will give me an idea of how much money I need to take with me and then I can figure out how much I can spend on the move itself. Fortunately, I can be doing a lot of this while the company is running my clearance. I know I will be selling a lot but there is some furniture I really hope I can hold on to. I'm thinking about selling this computer and getting a lap-top. Does anyone know how to really delete everything personal off the hard drive? PO's have to check and make sure there are appropriate living conditions for the kid so I have to keep that in mind (regarding furniture- not the computer). With all the military bases out there and transfers, maybe this won't be their first time having a person come in under similar circumstances.

    Since no one appears to be hiring around here, it looks like I would have to move anyway and put the house on the market as a short sell so the "cleaning out" and down-sizing must be done no matter what, unfortunately. difficult child issues and the domino effect....GEEZ....who would have thought? I can't let it happen again, I know that- difficult child will just be told that if he can't hold it together enough for me to keep a job and home, he can't live with me anymore. He can't damage walls and doors anymore and he has to get his butt up and go where he's supposed to and the PO and him can work out appts that don't interfere with my job. I have no idea what will happen if I get out there and the new PO expects me to be somewhere weekly that cuts into my work hours- I won't be able to do it, so what will they do?