I am in crisis

ksm

I have not read all the responses, but I would take lots of photos and videos of every room. Keep them so you have proof of the condition of your apartment. Then maybe sit down with this person and show pictures and ask what needs to be different.

Get your kids on board...they have to help get things in order and keep it that way.

Ksm

ksm

Also, try to find something to put under the litter box, like super it inside a larger cardboard box, or buy a cheap but sturdy vinyl tablecloth and place it under the litter box.

Lil

Also, try to find something to put under the litter box, like super it inside a larger cardboard box, or buy a cheap but sturdy vinyl tablecloth and place it under the litter box.

I was going to suggest something like this. I would suggest a large, low-pile, throw rug. Some are made specifically for litter. That way when kitty leaves the box, the little is tracked onto the rug and sticks and doesn't make it's way to the rest of the house and onto their carpet. Make sure you MOVE the boxes and vacuum underneath before you put down the new rug. A covered cat litter box is a life saver, in my opinion. IF you can get your cats to use it. ALWAYS buy multi-cat litter. I've found the cheap "special kitty" brand is the BEST, better than the expensive stuff - and scoop EVERY day - even morning and night.

Buy some carpet spot remover (Hot Shot or Woolite) in a spray can, or rent a rug doctor for a day and clean the stains as best you can.

Magic erasers are everywhere. You can buy them in virtually any store that sells cleaning supplies. WalMart, Kmart, Target, grocery stores, etc.

I totally agree that they should give you a written list of problems and allow you a reasonable amount of time to correct them. I don't know anything about California law or landlord tenant, so I'm not going to give advice there.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    662.2 KB · Views: 253

Californiablonde

Thank you all for your responses so far. I know there is some really helpful advice and info, I haven't had time to read through them all yet, but I will when I get more time. Just wanted to give a little update. I spoke to this apartment manager yesterday at 1:30. I know for a fact I am correct, my supervisor was on her lunch break while I was on the phone. After our approximated 20 minute conversation, an apartment representative went back to my apartment and knocked on my door. My daughter answered the door. According to my daughter, this happened at 2:30, an hour after my conversation with the manager. They told my daughter they were there for the inspection.

My daughter had no idea what they were talking about. I never had time to clue her in. She very wisely told them they were NOT allowed to search our house. We never got notice, and she did not give permission. Then they left. After I got home, I found the notice on my door stating they are coming back on November 1st to inspect. That's fine with me, but I am so upset they did this. I told the apartment manager very firmly that she was not allowed to have someone to inspect the house that day, nor the next day. I had already told them I needed more of a notice. They went behind my back and attempted to inspect after I told them they couldn't. I am furious. They had no right to do so. I am so thankful my daughter had enough sense to turn them away.

Californiablonde

Ugh..your apartment sounds like mine. I've had people in here. Now, they've never inspected, but no one's ever complained. They are going to have to rip out the carpet when I leave or die.

I have a 100,000 dollar rider on my renter's insurance that covers damage, including pet damage, to the apartment. As regarding painting? They do it whenever a tenant moves out.

Cat litter around the pans? Yep. Thomas digs like a backhoe. Better yet, he's got very fuzzy feet and tracks litter everywhere, including into my bed.

Right now my floors need washing, and vacuuming? Well, my vac crapped out...again. Carpet is disgusting.

And the place is hella cluttered, with boxes lying all over my living room because I have a lot of stuff delivered.

Apartments in CA are tight. Especially affordable ones. If you've had ANY issues with paying your rent on time, and especially if they are planning on raising the rent, they may be looking for an excuse to get you out of there.

Check leasing laws, etc. Another issue, depending on size of apartment, may be having an adult child living with you.

Don't flip out. Check laws, and get with Legal Aid, ASAP.
Honestly I am wondering why they are singling me out, because despite my credit history, I have not had a single late rent payment or a bounced check for the entire 5 years we have lived there. I don't get why they would want to get rid me. Seriously it's boggling.

Californiablonde

Edited above post because I realized I hadn't read CB's post properly and some of what I originally said came off as insensitive (not to mention stupid) as a result.

CB, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, and good thoughts flowing in your direction.

Do you HAVE to stay in CA? There are other places you can live that are so much more affordable, and your skills are pretty transferable as regards working for school districts wherever.

Part of the reason I went to WI is that I couldn't afford to rent in N.IL, and taxes and prices were higher.

If you can, talk to a lawyer first, but I'd seriously consider filing bankruptcy at this point (Chapter 7), assuming you can still discharge credit card debt. You have nothing to lose and you don't seem to be getting out of the hole you are in on your own.

Are you HUD eligible? Are you in HUD housing? if so, you have certain rights (and certain obligations)

I would seriously pay for a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney and see if this is a route that will work for you.

(And leave your mother completely out of it!)
Well thank you for editing, lol. Right now I am rather emotional and can't handle harsh. To answer your question about moving, I am stuck here till my son graduates. He has autism and would do very poorly if we were to move out of state and interrupt a routine he has gotten very used to. He goes to the same school I work at, and he is doing quite well. I don't want to ruin that. After he graduates, I am more than willing to live out of state. We are paying $1480 a month for a teeny tiny little one bedroom apartment in a not so good area of town. My brother lives in a much nicer area and pays over seventeen hundred dollars for a one bedroom. It's ridiculous. I have never really cared much for California anyway. We don't qualify for HUD. I make too much money. Go figure. Thought about filing for bankruptcy before. I don't know if I'll ever qualify for another apartment with that on my record though. Any thoughts?

Copabanana

people target me because i appear vulnerable. and tnen i get anxious and afraid and they target me more.

except. this puts the lie to what i wrote. there is a great swath of people who look for advantage and they look for the pushover i strive not to be that person.

and i strive not to look like a target to them. for example: your daughter acted assertively; keeping the apartment in order and clean so as to not attract attention. and will keep your environment pleasant.

i ask myself questions like this too. why do people hurt me? (a fruitless question. they do it because they can. why they do it is their problem.) the more important question is why do i let them? and how can i stop it?

they do not want major trouble. if you follow the counsel in this thread they will move onto other people.

you know how to do this. you majorly handled your work situation. i do not recall seeing one thread when school started this year.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yikes! I thought my rent at 830 plus 50 for the two cats was steep for a one BR was high.

Here in Milwaukee Cty, WI, they only allow 2 people to live in a one BR.

Could that be part of the issue? Especially because of the gender differences? or because your daughter is an adult?

With a fresh bankruptcy, you would have trouble renting from a complex, but might be able to rent from an independent owner.

The big concern is if you have a lot of defaults prior to the BK, plus the having accounts closed by lenders isn't going to help.

Again, you need to talk to a BK attorney to find out what your best move is. They should also be able to advise you on how best to rebuild your credit.

My case was a bit different as I had a BK and a foreclosure, both due to medical bills left when husband died. My credit was shot, but I also had no history other than the mortgage and a couple of car loans before that.

I was able to get a secured credit card shortly after, deposit add'l money to it to get a decent limit, and use it and pay it off totally each month. I did that for two years and was able to get a Discover card.

Building on that, I now have very good credit, have bought and paid off a car, currently rent in a large complex owned by a huge property firm.

You can bounce back, but you'll have a couple of hard years. Again, talk to a couple of lawyers, one about the housing BS, and the other about the bankruptcy question.

Californiablonde

I have not read all the responses, but I would take lots of photos and videos of every room. Keep them so you have proof of the condition of your apartment. Then maybe sit down with this person and show pictures and ask what needs to be different.

Get your kids on board...they have to help get things in order and keep it that way.

Ksm
I agree my daughter will be helping clean while my son is at his dad's this weekend. She may not like it, but I'm not giving her a choice. Right now she is getting free rent and free food and a free cell phone, and now that she is over 18 she is included on the lease.

Californiablonde

So the newest update is I came home on my lunch break and found yet another note, this time back dated to October 18th, stating my apartment was unclean and they were going to inspect it yesterday. On the top was a big printed stamp saying "Copy." Well I never received it. Had I have gotten it back then I would have responded immediately. Maybe somebody took the original notice off my door. Who knows? The fact is I didn't get it so now they have set a date for re inspection.

As I stated before, they are coming on the 1st. Perfect timing. I am taking that day off of work anyway. It's a non student day. The kids always get the day after Halloween off for some reason, even though the staff is still supposed to show up. We are given the option to take a personal day and take the day off, which I have decided to do this year. When there are no students here, there is literally nothing for me to do here, and they are paying me to sit here and surf the internet. I wouldn't have liked the idea of having the apartments entering my home without me being there, which they said they would do if nobody was home. At least I get to be there. Now come Saturday, my daughter and I will be cleaning our @sses off. Gotta do what I gotta do.

Copabanana

cb. if you can, do rent a carpet shampooer and take dated pictures of each cleaned room--before they come.

i would not get into any discussion with anybody while they are in your apartment or otherwise. just respond: please put it in writing.

i would also call a tenants' rights organization and find out what are the landlord's rights--and what aren't.

Californiablonde

I have an appointment for Stanley Steamer to come over at 1:00 on Saturday. My mom told me that the main thing that makes my house look dirty is the carpeting. I do agree there. After five years there it's not pretty. Hopefully a good shampooing will make it look much better.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I use Stanley Steemer and really like them. I have an almost white carpet in my family room (was new when I moved in) and two dogs so it can get pretty dirty although I do clean pet messes with a small portable one also. I think that will make a world of difference! Good luck.

Californiablonde

I use Stanley Steemer and really like them. I have an almost white carpet in my family room (was new when I moved in) and two dogs so it can get pretty dirty although I do clean pet messes with a small portable one also. I think that will make a world of difference! Good luck.
Thank you!

DoneDad

Do you know if your area is rent controlled? Do you have a month to month tenancy, or a lease (for a year for example)? I would talk to a lawyer in your area, because even within California different cities have different laws. Schools usually have Employee Assistance Programs that include legal advice.

Californiablonde

Do you know if your area is rent controlled? Do you have a month to month tenancy, or a lease (for a year for example)? I would talk to a lawyer in your area, because even within California different cities have different laws. Schools usually have Employee Assistance Programs that include legal advice.
It's month to month, unfortunately, and that's what scares me the most. I do believe they can kick me out at any time, for any reason. I think. I will have to do my research.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
They can't kick you out at any time. Do your research, you have quite a lot of power. Plus after you and your daughter clean like bandits and have the carpets cleaned .....they won't have any legs to stand on.

The dollar store has the best cleaning supplies, I buy a gallon of off brand windex for a dollar and they have the very best cleaning supplies there. My brother committed suicide in his apartment and they tried to bill my parents 5 thousand dollars, well it was all bs and they quickly changed their tune once a lawyer made a phone call. My point is...fight back, it was common practice to bully people. If it's meritless, they will retreat. They ended up giving my parents another month to remove his things and never charged a penny. There are laws cb, you're gonna be alright.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
In WI and IL, month to month means that either you or the lessor can terminate the lease upon a notice period as specified in the lease. If that is the case, and they give you that notice, you have no legal recourse as regards status of lease.

Where you may have recourse is in terms of responsibility for damages vs. normal wear and tear.

I suspect they want to terminate the lease and don't want to return the deposit, or wait out the notice period, which is why they are making all these claims about dirtiness, etc.