I am not meant for home improvements..

DDD

I do not know how anyone can "enjoy" the chaos and mess that goes
with home improvement stuff. It is driving me up the wall...no..
not "up the wall" because the wall is prime coated now. The painter was suppose to be through by Wed. PM. The flooring people were suppose to be right there Thursday AM. My new stove
etc. is being delivered Friday at 4 PM. :smile:

The painter has called me twice this morning asking why the flooring people haven't gotten in and started the floors this
morning because "I can't finish the painting until they get out
of my way!" :grrr: Well DUH, Mr. Painter Man, that is why you
should have stayed late the last couple of nights and shown up before 10 AM!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not even 10:30 AM and I am daydreaming of a beach somewhere
with those sissy little girlie drinks that I hate...the ones with
the tacky umbrellas!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
There is REAL time and then there is CONTRACTOR time. My H is a carpenter/builder so when he tells me something is only going to take a "couple of hours", I know we're talking about two days in REAL time. LOL -

Hang in there; hopefully when it's all finished, you will forget all about the inconvenience of it all!

Incidentally, I've been waiting 10 years for H to start our addition. He is starting it next week, which means I will be waiting at least 10 years for him to finish it!! I may end up in our camper all summer.

How frustrating!

We are knee deep in issues over here, too.

One of those girlie drinks with the little umbrellas in them sounds pretty good to me about now!

Barbara

:smile:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yeah, it's a real PITA to schedule people and then have them not honor it. My next door neighbor is going through the same thing with outside home improvements and workers who commit and then don't call, show up, etc.

If you can live with the upheaval sometimes it's better if you can allow more time inbetween the different projects. My bathroom makeover was relatively easy because my rent-a-husband was there a couple of weeks ago to do his part and the painter is (hopefully) coming in the next day or two. But having a bathroom out of commission for only one day is very different from a kitchen and a few weeks.

It must be cocktail hour somewhere in the world. Make me one of those umbrella drinks too and I'll join you, D3.

Suz :smile:

rejectedmom

We just started on the family room. it will be weeks before we are finished. It has become a way of life for us. Yes I hate the dust. But I love when a room comes together! LOL

everywoman

I, too, am in midst of home improvement heck. Right now we are having the roof replaced----they started Tuesday morning but used the wrong paper and had to take everything off and start again Wed. The shoe molding still needs to be finished on the floor. My floor guy has not been able to get back because of family illness. I plan on replacing two windows with french doors and adding a deck that adjoins the pool deck---then I am going to sit back and nice cold diet coke on the new deck while looking inside at the completing floor and up at the new roof~

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I love the finished product but so dread the process. I finally had a good experience with a roofer who actually came when he said he would and finished a big job in three days. We had a different contractor work on replacing some leaking windows about a year ago. It started out with ...the job will be done in a month--they were special order windows...well, got the windows out and he said whoah, siding is letting the rain in and there is no Tyvek (plastic sheeting usually placed under the siding to protect from water leaking), so we say okay, don't want anymore leaks, so siding comes off and tyvek goes on...then have to wait for special order siding....

Well needless to say the job that was supposed to be done in a month went on for another 5 months.....won't be calling him again. I find it amazing on the "Flip this house" shows that they can fix a place in a weeks' time....

DDD

Tomorrow is crucial. Care to cross a finger or two??? The floor
is laid in the hall and kitchen and it looks G O O D! Whew!
The "old lady" man painter is evidently going to make the job
last a lifetime so he has a reason to get up! LOL! on the other hand, they
both are vowing to be here at 8:30 in the morning. The new SS
applicances are due at 4 PM.........ready or not!

My grey hair is getting grey hair. I've never seen a cute little
umbrella in a Cutty and water BUT tomorrow may be the day! DDD

witzend

I'm just jealous that you get to hire someone other than your husband to do the job! At least when someone else is doing the work, you can kvetch to your husband about it without it turning into a screaming fighting match!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
So glad you're happy with what has been done so far. Fingers crossed that everyone meets his deadline.

My painter called last night and said he couldn't make it today...that he wouldn't be able to get here until the end of next week. ARRGGGHHH!!! :hammer:

Suz

LittleDudesMom

DDD,

general rule of thumb - never assume the dates you are given are completion dates! Many times they are start dates or mid-point dates!

Glad you are happy with the work so far. I hope they'll be out of your hair for the holiday weekend.

Sharon

DazedandConfused

(I type as my house smells overwhelmingly of new paint.)

We started the process of adding a master bedroom/bath to our house, plus a new roof. When was it suppose to be done? December 06. It's been one hurdle after another. Son is sleeping in the livingroom until we can get the his room finished (we are painting and new carpet).

Then, the contractor put the wrong paint in the wrong places. Anyway, everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING, has a white layer of powder on it. Bathtub had to be moved. City made us update the WHOLE house as far as energy efficient lighting and smoke alarms. That was more $$$, but I know it makes the house better and safer place to live.

We want to have the front bath remodeled because it's basically falling apart. There's more dust, but I'm going to put plastic EVERYWHERE this time.

Then, the final room: The Kitchen.

Ugh!

DDD

I would say that I am 80% through with the project. The BRIGHT
yellow is.........by jove.........bright! Think of a San Juan
nightclub, and you're on track. LOL! The new ceiling light
fixtures look terrific. The laminated flooring is "almost" finished...the installer is coming at 7:30 AM to finish off the
quarter round. I have lasagna (frozen not homemade, of course)
baking in the oven and I really really hope that I figured out
how to set the temperature and the timer on my new STAINLESS STEEL :smile: stove. The over the range microwave is in a box on the
floor but by noon it should be in place.

Guess what. The louvred doors on the pantry and the two hall
closets have to be replaced because they couldn't reinstall the
tracks without damaging the laminate. Geez. More bucks.

on the other hand I just know that by Sunday morning I will be back at my kitchen table (now tucked in another room,,lol) eating a bagel
and reading the newspaper. It is going to be better than sex.
(Hmmmmmmmm...just wondering if the censor will allow "that" word)

I don't know how you all cope with remodeling over a long period
of time. Everything is coated with dust or fumes or something.
It's going to be a loonnngg time before I move on to the next
room! DDD

Kathy813

Staff member
You all are making me very nervous! We are having granite countertops and a new backsplash done in our kitchen next week. The tile guy is supposed to start the demolition of the existing backsplash next Wednesday and the granite guy said it would only take 1 week to get the granite installed after he comes to make the template.

I hope we don't have the experience that y'all have described. We are really hoping to get this stuff done and get the house on the market.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

DDD ~ if you can send me a picture by email I'd be happy to set up a link for all of us curious CD members. I know that you don't like this new fangled technology. :grin: I really want to see your beautiful new kitchen!

~Kathy

slsh

member since 1999
OK, DDD... I'm going to share a secret with- you and a couple hundred of my closest friends. :wink:

Remember when you redid your bathroom, probably 5-6 years ago? I think you painted it... want to say peach? There was possibly also a discussion of the merits of wallpaper versus paint at the time, I think. At the same time, we were a couple of months into our bathroom redo. I had gotten a tad manic in my cleaning, decided to redo the caulk at the base of the tiled tub enclosure, only to discover when I pulled the old caulk off that I was enveloped in a lovely mold-smelling cloud. I did a simply *awesome* job of tearing out all the tile, installing green board, and getting it taped and mudded. It's beautiful, really.

Tub layed on its side for... oh, I don't know, 3 years? husband finally did get it (almost) back to where it's supposed to be.

A year ago, Boo broke the new surround (probably now antique surround) we bought for the tub... or actually, his wheelchair did as it ran over the surround that has been sitting in the garage since we started the "project".

husband installed the linoleum last summer, kinda. Still have to get the last 5" section in by the back wall.

My back crashed badly again last week. husband watched me literally crawl up the stairs to get to bathroom, and stayed home the next day to re-install downstairs toilet. :bravo:

Weeburt, whose formerly charmingly biting wit is now evolving into a rather sharp and unappreciated teen nastiness, informed us just this evening, unsolicited, that he would be 40 before we get the shower finished and by then it won't matter because we'll be dead and he'll be in his own home. :rofl:

My point is.... it could be far far worse!! :hammer: :smile:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Sue, the last I heard the tub was still out. I'm so happy to hear that it's installed! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Suz :smile:

slsh

member since 1999
Oh, Suz, you crazy optimist you. :rofl:

Installed ... that's such a *nice* word. Implies function and use. :bath:

I'm pretty sure there's not supposed to be a 1/2" gap between the tub and the wall. The old toilet is sitting in the tub, as are various manly tools that hubby doesn't know how to use in any effective manner. I have actually *dusted* the tub. on the other hand, we no longer have to climb over the tub to get to the sink, so yes... I guess we can call that progress.

We are disasters, truly. My dad was Mr. Fix-It. I really should have paid better attention because husband is completely inept. Bless his heart, he was an electrician on a submarine and I *still* won't let him change light fixtures. :rofl: