I am so sick of the constant negativity

F

flutterbee

She has been non-medication compliant and is just now back on the lexapro. It has helped in that past, but mostly for her anxiety which is her biggest issue. Or, at least the loudest. I don't feel I can identify the biggest issue anymore.

I've wondered about lamictal. I was diagnosis'd bipolar for about 5 minutes several years ago and they put me on lamictal. I really liked it. As soon as I told the psychiatrist that I wanted to discuss the bipolar diagnosis - because I've never experienced any form of mania or hypomania - he accused me of being non-medication compliant and refused to treat me anymore. So, no more lamictal. I have, however, wondered if it would be beneficial for my daughter.

Thanks for the thought. I haven't thought about the lamictal for a while. I'm going to bring that up.

DammitJanet

Ya know...speaking of medications. I wouldnt consider Lamictal, I would go for Lyrica. I know that sounds like an odd choice but hear me out. Your daughter complains of pain and anxiety. Lyrica is used for both pain and anxiety. Lets kill two birds with one stone. If at a later date you wish to address the depressive aspects you might want to consider something along the lines of Lamictal or Cymbalta since both of them also tend to address some of the pain issues she complains about. Cymbalta more than the Lamictal.

As far as how to address and fix this mess, you have to work on teaching your daughter to name her real feelings. Work on identifying all the different feelings people can have and how to tell when a person is feeling them. For many of us we can really only relate to a few feelings. I only understood anger, sad, happy and mad. I didnt get that often when I was angry it was because I was afraid of something. Fear came out as irrational anger and was often misplaced. I am learning to attempt to figure out if what I am feeling is a rational emotion or just "borderline moment" and if its a borderline time...I decide if I think its worth the fallout. Sometime I cant stop myself.

I have moved to the point that I can "see" my more manipulative aspects to some of my former behaviors but I cant tell you exactly what I craved to get from those behaviors. I know I wanted attention but why I wanted that attention Im not completely sure.

You need to teach her better ways to get positive attention.

Dont know if this is making any sense at all.

F

flutterbee

Those are good thoughts about the medications, Janet, and I will talk about them with her doctor. However, her pain *seems* to be related to her depression more than the anxiety, but I don't seem to be sure of a lot of things with her right now.

As far as how to address and fix this mess, you have to work on teaching your daughter to name her real feelings. Work on identifying all the different feelings people can have and how to tell when a person is feeling them. For many of us we can really only relate to a few feelings. I only understood anger, sad, happy and mad. I didnt get that often when I was angry it was because I was afraid of something. Fear came out as irrational anger and was often misplaced. I am learning to attempt to figure out if what I am feeling is a rational emotion or just "borderline moment" and if its a borderline time...I decide if I think its worth the fallout. Sometime I cant stop myself.

I have moved to the point that I can "see" my more manipulative aspects to some of my former behaviors but I cant tell you exactly what I craved to get from those behaviors. I know I wanted attention but why I wanted that attention Im not completely sure.

Again, you've nailed it right on the head. When I posted that she was home and had been spewing nastiness at my Mom, I found out the reason later. She didn't come out and say 'this is what's wrong', but she started talking about some things and then I could make the connection. X happened and then she does Y.

Since you seem to understand it, and therefore her, so well, I'll just send her down to you. Send her back when she's all fixed. :wink: :rofl:

Hey...it was worth a shot. :smile: