I asked for a chicken run, and what I got was...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
the friggin' Taj Mahal!

All I wanted was a bottomless cage that measured about 3-4 feet wide by 6 or 8 feet long by 3 feet high. I just wanted a sheltered, portable run for the new chicks. Some 1x2's and some chicken wire would have been just peachy. Didn't even need to be painted.

The four li'l chicks barely fit in the 10 gallon aquarium anymore, and they've learned how to fly up to the edge of my VERY DEEP bathtub (which I really miss using since they've moved into it with all their nasty chicken xxxx. And although they can spend some time in our old sandbox with some wire over the top, they're going to need a protected place to forage in the grass very, very soon.

So I told husband what kind of a portable run I wanted for them, and he eagerly set to work constructing it for me.

But apparently he got carried away. It's now 7 feet high, and 8 feet square -- although it's not REALLY square because he screwed up when he was putting it together and some of the boards are connected on the outside and some on the inside, so the top is a hair bigger than the bottom, which technically makes it a RHOMBUS. With a small door. And green plastic safety netting (way more $ than chicken wire). And he painted it green. How the he!! am I supposed to move THAT?

Oh. He says he wants to be able to stand up in it (he's 6'1") -- guess he's planning to spend some time in it? If he loses his job in January, maybe we can all fit in it when they come to take the house!

THIS must be the guy who thought he could build a better mousetrap -- only this time it's a chicken run, with room for an Olympic size track.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. (Sigh).

Last edited by a moderator:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL

Sounds like something my sister in law would do. I asked for a gate for the backyard for an opening that was about 5-6 feet wide. He built a huge one out of 4x2's that wound up so heavy he had to put a wheel on the bottom to move the darn thing. lol by the way, he just replaced it.......It's now the size I originally wanted.....I only had to wait 5 yrs. lol

But at least he does it. I can't even get husband to move anymore. ugh

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I have this mental image of these 4 chicks walking into it with their little suitcases...
eyes lit up, music from the gods playing,(AAAAHHHH, you know the music)
"Ladies we have hit pay dirt" "Unpack your bags, were moving in"

Is he putting a little chicken bar on one side? Little chicken nests with special bedding?
These ladies need to treated like the Queens, they will soon think they are!
Please post pictures

gcvmom

Here we go again!
They are enjoying the great outdoors this afternoon, taking short flights across the run, scratching in the wet dirt, nibbling at the grass and clover, and trying to just take in the new wide open space they've found. :D

If I have any hopes of being able to move this huge thing around the yard, husband is going to have to put wheels on it!

mstang67chic

Going Green
You may THINK it's too big now....wait. I hate to tell you this but with four of them....it will get a little crowded when they get to be full size. The one my mom and dad had wasn't as tall but was reeeeeally long so they had plenty of room.

And they only had two.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh gosh, 'stang -- don't tell that to husband... I'll have TWO of those things hogging up my yard! :tongue:

What I want to know now is how soon I can move those little buggers out to the coop permanently? If I put a heat lamp in there, do you think they'd be o.k. at night in a few more weeks? I figure they'll be a month old next week. Right now our night temps are in the high 50's to low 60's. It rarely gets below 40 here at night. I think the lowest it's ever been in mid-winter is maybe 35 -- and that's rare.

mstang67chic

Going Green
If you have a heat lamp and a well insulated "nest" for them, they should be ok in a couple of weeks, I would think. Just make sure they have plenty of straw to snuggle in and maybe some sort of enclosure (box) that has a wind break instead of an open doorway. Dad built something like a rabbit hutch for theirs. One side was basically a chicken lean too and the other had a sheltered doorway into a box where they could go during inclement weather.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Okay that's what I figured. I think I'll aim for having them moved out to the coop by Thanksgiving. Now I just need to get a safety cage for the heat lamp...

KTMom91

The chickies look a bit overwhelmed, but they'll have a great time, I'm sure.

Hope you get your bathtub back very soon!