I didn't make the cut

everywoman

for district Teacher of the Year. I'm not surprised. I tanked the interview---I'm probably a little more opinionated than they liked. Only 1 high school teacher made the top----They are looking for big personalities----dress up, show people----which doesn't work in my world or for my style. I'm not disappointed, but do wish I could at least do the portfolio!

Andy

I am sorry! You would have been way better then the Teacher of the Year (I think for the state!) when my youngest sister graduated. He gave the graduation speech and had no clue what the story line was for the Three Little Pigs. The worse about him was that he actually told my sister that because she was getting married right out of high school that she can forget about ever having a life or a career. I wish I could have made that fact known before hand - maybe that would have disqualified him? Jerk!

DammitJanet

Oh no....drats...Im sorry. I was looking so forward to you winning because I would know royalty...lol.

Oh well. If its any consolation Tony's work van drove right past your place today and waved as they went by...lmao. (No...I dont have a clue where you live...I mean they drove through your town and they called me to tell me where they were so I told them they were in your town and they waved all the way through it...lol.)

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Oh, Everywoman, I'm so sorry! I love that you love your students and care about their well being. You can see your value in their eyes.

everywoman

Thanks ladies.

Janet----I guess he was on 17. Was he heading north or south? If he was going north then he cut up 701 toward Conway and then over---my school is between 521 and 701.

He probably didn't get to see much but the Paper Mill (and smelled it too) and the Steel Mill---(on strike so no fire blazing) It's so sad that in such a beautiful little town that 's all you see.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry you didn't make teacher of the year. You really deserved it. Here for the school it is a really neat thing, the PTA does a LOT for the teacher. But for the district it is a dog-and-pony show. All flash and no substance. I had several of the teachers tehy chose for TOY and they were the most mediocre teachers I had. And the word mediocre is colorful for these women. They are blank slates that the district can dress up and parade around. But it is still an honor to be chosen.

I think they made the BIGGEST mistake!!!

You are TOY in our hearts!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
You don' need no stinking award to know you are a good teacher.............

C.D BOARD
TEACHER
OF THE YEAR

THERE ya go! ;)

klmno

I'm disappointed for you- I'm sorry. But I think you are probably right about the reasons. There are worse things, though, than being an opinionated warrior mom who doesn't go for a kissing-up show.

everywoman

Ladies, ya'll are so sweet. It really doesn't bother me too much--except my analytical brain keeps trying to analyze the why---while my other self knows there isn't a why---it's just an is----so, I'll go on teaching and living my passion...I still get to be on the district teacher forum and voice my views about the policies of the district...so my voice will be heard anyway...

everywoman

Okay ladies, I will accept your award---only if Sharon, Stands, and all other teachers on the board can reign with me!

EW,

I agree with the other ladies here, you are and should have been district teacher of the year!

Thanks to you and all the teachers on the board. You all are very much appreciated. I have tremendous respect for teachers, you all are constantly "on stage" and guide our nation's most precious asset, our children!

DammitJanet

EW...He is working in Charleston lately and yesterday they got rained out so they took the leisurely way home...lol. Up the coast, through Myrtle and back to Lumberton- home of all who drywall.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Awww...EW. You hit the nail on the head. They want some 'personality', not just a great teacher. If you are like me, the best reward comes from touching a student's life. You will most likely come across a former student years later and have them tell you how much they enjoyed your teachings. That is gold.

I had one that I will never forget. JV sat in my class slunked down in his chair every day and did absolutlely NOTHING. I mean nothing. He wouldn't utter a word or do one piece of homework. Yet, when I gave a test, he'd ace the thing. It really kind of annoyed me because he's probably much smarter than me. At the end of the year I gave him the speech about how the world doesn't work like this. I'm not going to fail you, though technically I could. Meanwhile in my brain I wanted to smack him down for defying the 'system.'

Fast forward 7 years. I'm at a 4th of July outdoor concert dancing with no shoes to Aerosmith. I make eye contact with this man and stopped dead in my tracks. It was JV. MAC, MAC!!! (That's what the kids always called me.) He gave me the biggest hug. He took me by the hand and drug me off the field to where we could talk. I got another hug and he proceeded to say that I was the coolest teacher ever and he really did listen when I gave the speech about real life. He's decided to not be so stubborn. I nearly died laughing. I told him that defying the system is not such a bad thing. I guess the hippie in me won't go away.

In the end, no award could stand up to helping a kid and seeing some results. Administrators don't see these kind of things. YOU DO. Enjoy it and relish the thought that you are mentoring many and touching their lives.

Abbey