I have a question

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok, our school system here hoovers to the max for difficult children and kids with disabilities. So......I was wondering how does one involk the No Child Left Behind law to get private school funds if they find that the public school will not meet a child's educational needs?

With all the issues I've had over the years with Travis with our SD..........I'm just anticipating it because we already know that the same person is still the head of the MRDD here ect. But we do have a good christian and catholic schools that are of course private.....but also expensive, so unless it was paid for some other way the kids couldn't go.

Thanks

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, honestly I'm stunned ours isn't on the list.......especially since the state has been threatening to close the SD for several years. Hmmm........of course some of that was due to misappropriation of funds.

Sheila

It can be difficult to get a private placement such as this. Regarding Sp Ed, if the sd can't provide the placement they must contract with-an entity that can. That could include a private school.

As always, placement is decided by the IEP team (which includes the parent). But again, very hard to get in the majority of instances.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
*Sigh* Well, I suppose it was a thought. :tongue:

Alex is Travis all over again.............swear it's almost unnerving how alike they are........yet Alex should be working at a 4th grade level and is currently not working consistently at a level one would see by the end of kindergarden. (thanks to Darrin I now know am updated as to what that is)

Yes he has the MRDD diagnosis, and obviously it's correct.......but that evaluation was done by school staff in Mo and the person did not add what their qualifications are. Alex has other issues going on.......the most obvious is Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD).......he's too close to Travis to be diagnosed aspergers, yet is not further down on the spectrum than that for sure. There may be other issues as well that were missed since the only evaluation he's ever had was done by the school. One is most definitely speech, but at least our SD does have good speech therapists.

Then there is Evan........I am certain of at least a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) diagnosis for him (he has had no evaluations yet) and a possible future diagnosis of MRDD......sort of hard to tell at age 4 when he's had no preschool ect. Although katie says she's been working hard with him and he still doesn't know colors, shapes, counting ect.

Our SD drops the ball in a major way for their disabled students. And I know we have an Autistic school in New Peter's burg that was built when Travis was in hs. Honestly, I was hoping to find a way to at least get Alex in it as it also is staffed to deal with other disabilities as well since autism often accompanies other dxes.

Another question: Can an experienced grandparent play advocate for the less experienced/knowledgeable parents? Or would they just toss me out of the meetings? I have MUCH experience dealing with the SD and the people katie will be dealing with. I know the garbage they're going to attempt to pull on her and her husband.........and they know that I know what they can and can't do.........which really peeves them off, but might get Alex much more help sooner than it did Travis.

Just wondering.........if need be I can do it from behind the scenes as well.

JJJ

Yep, they cannot toss you out and they must allow you to speak. Only your daughter can ask you to leave.

Sheila

by the way, if the student is that far behind grade level, I'd be inclined to believe he's not getting the placement he needs within the school district. This of course assumes the student is capable of performing at grade level, just hasn't been properly placed and progress appropriately monitored so that IEP changes can be made as they are needed.