I have s.m.u.t.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Went back today.......I have meningitis.......NICE......Fortunately I've been on the same antibiotics that cure the other so I'm good. Honestly - I'm a walking germfest. I also have....a curvature of the neck that is a birth defect. I laughed.....Really I did. I told the doctor "well you know it's a good thing I was free....because if they had charged for me at the adoption? Someone would have asked for a refund - I really got a crappool of genes. At least I have a good heart." Then as quickly as I said it I took it back and said "Oh Lord I shouldn't have said THAT with my luck I should have said A GOOD SOUL....lol." The doctor said "Well you know a lot of these things going on with you don't show up until you are older." I said "Great! Can't wait for 60."

Momof5- No offense taken - I just figured all the dope I'm on I wasn't making much sense at all - not that I make a whole lot of sense anyway without dope. :tongue: Nice to know you are well informed. I appreciate your expertise.

J3 - See? English isn't my first language. Ig Pay Attin Lay is.....

Ughay and Uvlay
ArSaty

...illy say in real life gays.....

nvts

Oh Auntie Staaarrr! No offense, but no kisses for now! Here's my latest picture for you! I'm glad you're feeling better - Mom said to say "hi!" and she's glad you're feeling better!

Love -

Your Evie

M

Mamaof5

Ouch meningitis. Bacterial I'm assuming (they did do the culture test I hope) because bacterial is easier to treat than viral (for anything bacterial is better than viral). Jeeze Star, you really are having a rough go of it, I hope it eases up for you fast.

Lots of healing vibes, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the compliment and the patient understanding! Get Well Star!!!

M

Mamaof5

Oh Here: Three types of meningitis - bacterial, fungal and viral (also septic meningitis which is a system wide meningitis apparently, usually due to opportunistic infections such as the ones you have like mono, strep and tetanus).

1. Bacterial meningitis (also called spinal meningitis) is a life-threatening disease caused by neisseria meningitides and streptococcus pneumoniae as well as haemophilus influenzae type B. The onset of bacterial meningitis is sudden and the victim may become seriously ill in 12 hours. The victim is often irritable, confused, or drowsy. Delirium, convulsions, or coma may follow. When bacterial meningitis is recognized and treated early, most persons recover. Bacterial meningitis is treated with large doses of antibiotics. However, even with treatment, brain damage or death can occur, especially in children and the elderly. Vaccination against Haemophilus influenzae type B, the bacterium that is the most common cause of bacterial meningitis is recommended as a part of routine childhood immunizations, beginning at the age of two months.

2. Aseptic meningitis is due to infection by such organisms as viruses (viral meningitis) and fungi (fungal meningitis) or to certain noninfectious causes, such as head injuries. Viral meningitis requires no treatment, but it should still be prevented for it not to cause further problem. Fungal meningitis is treated with anti-fungal medicine. Aseptic meningitis is more common but less severe than bacterial meningitis

Take the rest of that page with a grain of salt for natural remedies and never, ever mix natural remedies with pharma remedies without talking to your doctor first please. It can be dangerous and even deadly.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Beth ----I bet you could hear my Awwwww all the way in New York....OMG she is GEORGEOUS.....those eyes, those pouty lips - that face....those toes! What a love! Thank you so much for my updated picture. (prints out for desk at home)

Mamaof5 - She never said -I read through what you posted and OMG....what a quagmire of germs. She just kinda made a face but never elaborated as to if it were bacterial or viral. I'm guessing it's not the very bad one as I dont' have to come back and see her and oral antibiotics are the course of treatment. She said that she was glad I had chosen to have the other blood tests done that day as my insurance ran out on 6/31 - because normally? Since I am such a hard stick and they take blood out of my hand with a butterfly? I get stuck enough in the hand - it usually takes a few pokes to get enough blood and it doesn't flow enough with one stick so they end up digging around and it's very painful. The last kid was awful. Some can do it - he couldn't. I have no veins in my arms that don't blow. I get any contrast in my foot and usually am so lucky I get an anestetitian(spelling is so off there).

So when she got the test results from their on site lab from the first batch of wah hoo? She came in and said "I'd like to do some more tests and of course lists them off, but you may as well have quoted the periodic table to me in Latin - I mean why they do this is beyond me - she could have just said "I need to run more tests." and stopped. I'm not a nurse, I'm not medically inclined, I am at this point clueless except I have some idea of what Strep is - Bad sore throat, and Mono - okay son had that and he was sleepy and pukey, and lost a boatload of weight and the doctor told me about it then - but that was months ago....and then tetanus - well I kept thinking you had to have a rusty nail, and like you said - earthy or poopy or dirty. And of course my nemesis - drinking fountains - plague givers. So when I got the sore throat, stiff neck, achey joints, severe muscle aches (and I mean wow), the severe fatigue, and all the other little things? I figured it was maybe the flu or I (actually laughingly told my Mom I got lock jaw).

Well - you don't stab your hand in a second hand store and laugh about it to MY Mom. no sir. I explained that yes I cleaned it, and treated it and bandaided it - and covered it - you know - all the things to get your Mom off your back and satisfy her germo-meter. But when I sleep for that many hours? And I have a stiff neck and I can't move and I can't stay awake? Huge red flags. I'm probably the H in Dudes ADHD. Politely they say I'm just that side of very active.

So when the doctor said "I need more blood and you can do it when you come back or today?" I said "Well we better do it today - I won't have insurance come next week after Wed." she said "I'm glad to hear that - and they took me back to the lab. And .......stabbed around in my other hand for 20 minutes. So when I got there yesterday to the doctors I went to the lab - no jabbing boy - nice new girl, hit the spot, did whatever test it is they do for check ups, I went to the room and that's when the doctor told me that she was very glad I had taken the 2nd blood test. She said she had a sneaking suspicion that I was (techno-babble) for meningitis. I just kinda sat there and then I said "So that's bad?" and she said "Well it's not good, and fortunately for you the antibiotic we have you on for the tetanus is the same one I would have given you for the meningitis and that other female infection, but we're not gonna go there." - she said laughing. I'm sure I blushed from ingorance.

Then she asked me how the SOMA was working. I laughed and said "Well I've seen every rotten movie at 2:00 AM." she said "Ah it's having a paradoxial effect." I said "Yeah valium does that to me too - but when I took that I had a super clean house!" In hindsite (and thinking about all the packing ahead? I wish I had kept my mouth SHUT and asked for valium." No Mstang I will not come to your house if you get them. :p

So I left and my Mom called - poor thing.....I swear ONE DAY I will stop with "I'm fine." and learn to just let that be the extent of my words, but nooo I had to say "Well now she says I have meningitis." To which there was a silent pause then a WHAT???? and DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS? and "OMG, Why aren't you in the hospital?" So now I'm thinking.....WTH is meningitis? I told her I needed to go, got home look it up and I'm thinking OMG it's not THAT (insert freak out music) and I'm thinking WTH.....WHERE HAVE I BEEn----WHO THE H have I been around that I got ALL THIS CRUD? Seriously HOW is it possible that I got THIS sick, THIS quick....and from WHO? WHAT?

I really don't understand. I mean I kept thinking - OH WOW.....this is going to be really expensive, but she told me that I wouldn't need a follow up and that my lymph nodes in my neck and under my arms aren't swollen any more. She did say my allergies are acting up to get some allergy medications. I laughed and said I am on so much dope now that I could open a pharmacy.

3 antibiotics, 2 anti-depressants, 2 muscle relaxers, 1 anti-seizure for headaches, 2 water pills, 1 diabetes medications, and prescription face cream....lol.
well there ya go-----that's healthy isn't it? LOL. Ooh and that 2nd muscle relax........zzzzzzzzzzz
yeah - it's like that.

The antibiotics she has me on are (and I said Flagyl maybe that's right and this is the generic but its spelled) metronidaol 500 mg. the other is augmentin 875 mg 2 a day and i got zipsor 2x/day and amrix at night only before bed. that's the one that knocks me out - it's like flexeril plus.

I do feel better today - We got out and went to the grocery store, but that's about the extent of my walking....I hate sleeping.....detest it. But apparently I have no choice over it. I'm sleeping around 12-13 hours a day with or without my consent. (can you say control freak boys and girls?) and MAN am I a crab. WOW. It's like I could mow the lawn just by looking at it with my laser vision.....(looking.......) (Lookiing........) okay well the grass has decided not to cooperate at this time.....but it will bend to my will) tomorrow.....when I make DF get out the tractor. MWHA HA HA.....you're going DOWN lawn.....DOWN I tell ya....like a bad weed.....hhahhahaha.

Lord I need a nap.

Marguerite

I've been there with aseptic meningitis. Yuk. difficult child 3 was just over a year old. I was having my liver checked out at the same time. Go gently with yourself, get plenty of rest in a quiet, dark room. I had to stick with wraparound sunglasses and wide-brimmed hats for the next year or more. I still can get bad headaches from glare - a bad headache can put me back in hospital once I get to the vomiting stage.

So go easy on yourself. Glad you feel better at the moment.

As for the lawn - buy a sheep. Or a donkey...

Marg

M

Mamaof5

Buy goats for the lawn, or chickens (yup chickens).

Wow, what an ordeal. You should limit yourself from outings not just for rest but meningitis is contagious at certain stages. Keep an eye on the other family members. Meningitis is very similar to flu like symptoms and most people actually get through meningitis without cause. It's usually the very young or the very old (and immuno-compromised who go without medical treatment) that get very very sick. Sounds like you are feeling much better though. I hope you continue to feel better as time passed, watch for wicked bad dreams on the abx (antibiotics) it could be one of the starting signs of a mild allergic reaction. I had hallucinations and nightmares with Biaxin, turns out I have a moderate reaction to it.

As always, in my thoughts and prayers. Or as people say around this board - board JuJu coming your way!

DammitJanet

Depending on the type of meningitis, it can kill you! Obviously yours isnt too bad or isnt the type to be contagious because they wouldnt have sent you home. I had pnuemococcal meningitis and they gave me a 20% chance of living. So you be very careful and watch for headaches getting worse, neck getting stiffer. Did they do a spinal tap? Thats the only way to diagnosis meningitis. I am worried.

susiestar

Roll With It
Star, please do ALL you can to stay home in bed or on the couch. You need at least the 12-13 hours of sleep a day and to be totally honest it probably is not enough sleep. Your body MUST have rest to kick this batch of infections. I do want to urge you to add acidophilus to your medication regimen, or ask the doctor for an rx for diflucan. Most likely you will end up with a yeast infection from the antibiotics. The metronidazole will work on some causes but others will flourish from all the germ killing stuff you are taking. Acidophilus (get the kind you have to keep in the fridge after opening) will deal with the problems and help support your body's natural good bacteria fairly gently. You may notice thick saliva that may or may not look kind of white. It is thrush, or a yeast infection in your mouth. It is common when you have as many infections as you have. I had a nasty case of it when I had the cellulitis. Diflucan is given as one tablet but it works for a couple of weeks. If you can eat yogurt it will help too.

I am so sorry you are so sick. Can DF make homemade chicken noodle soup for you? I can give him the easy recipe that Jessie uses. If you can stomach garlic, add it to anything and everything you can. It helps fight infection and every little bit helps.

Sending lots of hugs!!!!!! Tell DF that if he doesn't make you stay in bed or laying on the couch that I will not be happy!!!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Lordy...I step away from the board for a few weeks and LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO YOURSELF!!! I swear I can't leave you alone. Sheesh.:tongue:Better not contaminate the corner(s). I seriously need mine.

Get better, girl. I know you're too feisty to let something as small as meningitis close your mouth.

Many cyber hugs.

Abbers

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, one thing's for sure... you are THOROUGH. When you get sick, it's not some wimpy little mamby pamby cold. Oh no. You go for the nastiest, gnarliest sick out imaginable! Sheesh! I'm feeling very inadequate right now... sniff.

As painful as it is, I hope you do listen to everyone and REST. Relapses are not fun.

(((((Hug)))))

Star*

call 911........call 911
See? This is what happens when I stand butt nakit in my front yard pointing out my sagging apendages & discussing my life's situation about difficult child son with God telling him it can't get any worse than it already is.

Ask Pootie about her Mani Pedi - we're both sporting purple nails. SHE IS NOT AMUSED.
....Ouixa is so upset she hasn't come back in the bedroom all day.

Lothlorien

Girl, you need to take care of yourself. Slow down and try to destress. Saying prayers for a speedy recovery. I'm glad the doctor caught all of this early enough that it's not that serious.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe try a robe next time...

I imagine purple suits you -- but maybe the Pootster prefers something a little more like doggie biscuit brown?

Star,

:surprise: I haven't been around much lately and am shocked to hear about you being so sick! Please take it easy - REST, REST, REST, etc... !!!

Unfortunately, when it rains, it really pours... You're not the type of person to do something "half-baked." When you do something, you really go all out... PLEASE don't try to do too much too soon!!!

HURRY UP AND GET BETTER!!! Keeping you close in my thoughts and hoping you recover ASAP!!! SFR