amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I too have been there and done that, just keep in mind at some point he may slap back and he's going to get bigger. Having my 11 y/o assault me last week was no picnic. I can only wonder what genuine peace and love must feel like because I haven't known it for well over 17 years. S2BX was abuse and so are his (our) sons. Sigh............... It's sad when becoming a missionary in Thailand sounds more appealing then living with your own children!!!! Hang in there and definatley try for a partial program.

tryinghard

I feel for you and understand the pure frustration you felt. I do not know how our difficult child's can do this to us over and over again. It just doesn't seem fair at all...

wakeupcall

I appreciate everyone not being critical...really.

I'm very busy at work the rest of the week, but after that I'm going to look into finding a program for partial inpatient or something that our insurance could help with. He has a medication check on Tuesday, but I don't think there are many more medications to try that he's not already been on and he just started the Abilify about three weeks ago. I suppose what I do is ask her if she would admit him if I found a spot? I've never gone this route before.

Why is life so difficult? My poor baby is so unhappy and such a daily challenge to live with.

jannie

trying to survive....
I think it is good plan to try and find a program that is intensive intreatment such as a day treatment program and/or hospitalization.

I finally took difficult child 2 to a new psychiatrist...and when I was done filling him in he said, "It sounds like he's pretty stable...the medications are working, etc" But THEN I restated certain things and I told him that I FORGOT was normal is like and that I am VERY TOLERANT to his antics...and MOST people would not be able to deal with things like I do. I explained to him that we had a family over the prior week and that difficult child acted up...and that on a regular basis people can tell that there is something seriously wrong with my difficult child...that his behavior stands out that I need to say...yes there are problems...We GET NUMB to it all and don't always have the strength to say how bad it is.

Is this the first time he has been on abilify? Ability is very effective for my little one....He's currently on 10-15 mg and we're talking about possibly giving him 15 mg on a regualr basis. It has really helped with anger and rage.

Senidng hugs--I hope you have a peaceful day !!

wakeupcall

This is his first time on Abilify. He's only on 5mg so maybe it isn't enough. Our grown daughter sees him very seldom ( she lives 1,000 miles from us), but she says we don't realize any longer how very, very different he behaves from the other children because we live with it on a daily basis and we've become accustomed to his behaviors.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Pamela

The abilify dosage may not be high enough yet. It is Nichole's savior, honestly. She's been on her other medications without it and they just didn't cut it. psychiatrist gave it back and all was once again well with the world. Nichole can't seem to acheive any sense of stability without it. And 5 mgs is pretty low.

(((((hugs))))))

been there done that and it does sounds as if difficult child certainly knows how to send you over the edge. Not good for either of you. I'm certainly not in a position to criticize as I've found myself in your shoes more times than I could count. And was ready to go toe to toe with Nichole just last week.

You need respite. And difficult child needs something that works, either a medication adjustment, or inpatient or something. I wouldn't shut up til something was done. Find another psychiatrist if you have to. But this can, and probably will esculate eventually. Then you will have problems.

Remember, the squeaky wheel....

Hang in there.

Fran

Former desparate mom
PamelaJ, I haven't commented because I wanted to wait until you had some time to process what's happening to you and your home. difficult child's behavior is so off the scale from normal that your daughter is right. You and your husband have adapted your life to fit his behavior. You have been willing to make huge sacrifices for the well being and help for your son. Unfortunately it isn't working. Some of our kids despite the attention, hours of treatment, medication,counseling, Residential Treatment Center (RTC), hospitalization can not be fixed. It then becomes an exercise in how to survive difficult child and to have a life that is not suffocated by anguish, dysfunction, isolation, anger,violence and basically a horrible life.

You will try all the medications and therapies but you have to start to project forward. How will you survive difficult child? Is this the life you want to continue? How will things change? What goals do you aim towards? Do you see him ever being independent? Is your thought that you will keep him home with you? How long before he gets violent, breaks the law, becomes destructive? What sort of plan for the future do you have in the back of your mind?

We always looked for an "Anne Sullivan" to unlock the gifts that our difficult child didn't seem to be able to build on for independent life. I never found her. difficult child is still locked in the circular world of scattered and distorted thinking, hyperactivity,oppositional behavior and self centered functioning. Fortunately no violence or law breaking but at 23 he is still struggling with why the world "doesn't see he is good enough". He struggles with opposition that he should change. He tries but it is not an average approach to life and learning.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are burning out. Your reserve of patience and difficult child centered life is gone. Do you continue to be the victim of this life or do you start to be proactive in having a world that is apart from difficult child and not based on difficult child? What is in his best interest and what is in your best interest?
The best parents in the world still can not cure their kids so what do we do? I think it is a personal choice. I started time away for me alone. Vacations with husband without difficult child. We still had family trips but I started to build a life and memories that difficult child were not a part of. I gave to him what I could and then I tried to survive the rest. I just can't let his disability poison every good part of our family. I found that frequent breaks from difficult child helped me parent better and to actually like difficult child more.

I hope you find a way to channel your frustration and love in a positive way to help yourself and difficult child. Hugs.

Christy

Thanks you for your honesty. I too, have resorted to spanking and just plain slapping my child at times. I would have NEVER thought that I would do something like that but you hit the nail on the head when you said your difficult child looked directly at you and kicked the counter again. My son also has a way of making it very personal. And, just like everything else, the spanks and slaps don't work. My son was becoming very physically violent with both husband and I. It is so hard when you are being hit, kicked, bitten, etc... not to respond in a physical way. My son was recently discharged from his first psychiatric hospital visit and how this started was by my calling CPS. No one (counselors, psychiatrist, domestic violence hotline, etc.. )would tell me what to do when my son was violent and out of control. The typical answer of give him space and time to calm down resulted in property damage, difficult child hurting himself by head banging or kicking things, or difficult child following me into another room on the attack. Finally I called child protective services, explainned my son's condition and expressed that I was very concerned that someone (and I honestly wasn't sure if it would be him or me) was going to get hurt. They diredcted me to a program called family preservation. We were immediately accepted into the program. After the second visit, the in-home counselors told us that this is not a parenting problem and that my son was very unstable. They acknowledged that NOTHING could have been done to predict or intervene prior to many of my sons rages--this was so satisfying to hear! They suggested an evaluation and medication changes in a safe environment, ie psychiatric hospital. We struggled for about two more weeks and finally made the decision to do it. We contacted the hospital directly and did not do the ER visit which was so much less stressful. difficult child was actually very sweet and calm the day we admitted him but because I had two weeks worth of doccumented rages, admitting him was not a problem. Sorry for making this such a long post, but after two weeks he came home and it isn't perfect but he is significantly less violent and easier to live with. The family preservation people are working on getting us additional services including respite care. We finally feel like we have someone in our corner! I guess besides wanting to say that I UNDERSTAND your situation, I want to urge you to ask for help from family, friends, or community service agencies. They can help.

Another thought, and I am no doctor, is that I would consider replacing the focalin. If you son is agressive I would not use a stimulant medication. My son is also very hyper and we have had luck getting this undercontrol with 3 small doses (.05 mg) of clonodine. It is not enough to make him drowsy but it keeps the hyperness to a minimum. Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Wishing you the best.
Christy

Steely

I second the try of Clonidine........it has worked wonders for us in helping attention and hyperactivity with-out the side effects of stims like Focalin or Ritalin.