If you could...

DS3

If you could pass along any piece of information in regards to raising your children, what would it be? This can be a short story, a piece of advice, anything that you think the people with 'normal' kids should be aware of, or know. Anything you would like to share basically.

(I say 'normal' in quotes, because I personally believe that we're all a little bit crazy in one way or another.) :imok:

InsaneCdn

If you start young, you'll have more energy... and less wisdom.
If you start later, you'll have more wisdom... and less energy.

Therefore - there is no formula for the "right" time to start a family.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If you honestly take the time to listen to your children, you'll learn as much from them as they do from you.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Don't sweat the small stuff. If your kids are "normal," it's all small stuff. And if they're difficult children, then just be careful how you pick your battles.

tiredmommy

Proceed with love.

Don't take the easy way out.

Respect your child and family.

Know the difference between "can't" and "won't".

Remember, at the end of the day, you still love one another.

Try to use natural consequences whenever possible. And explain why you are disciplining him/her so they know it comes from caring for them and not from anger.

Try not to take things personally (but don't be a doormat either!).

DS3

Is this for you or a class? I ask because I have an answer for both:)

It's for me. I get these curious questions in my head and proceed to ask them. :D Also, if I find anything really useful, I'll pass it along to those that could use the advice, or help to inspire others. Part of me wants to write a book. Part of me knows, I would never finish it. LOL. So I ask the questions and enjoy the answers. Hope that makes sense.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I read this in a book by Robert Fulghum... Called "Uh-Oh". So I use it now.

Crisis arises. Is it a PROBLEM, or an INCONVENIENCE?
Problem: House burns down. No place to live. No food. REALLY sick (hospital sick) and no money for doctor.
Inconvenience: Mom cooked hot dogs AGAIN. Can't find the T-shirt I want to wear. Mrs. X assigned so much homework I can't go out with my friends. YADA YADA.

KTMom91

If you can get through the day without tears, vomit, or bloodshed, it's a good day. (Being a substitute teacher, I try to keep the day in a practical perspective.)

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't care what authority or education and training a person has, you know your child better than anyone else. Trust your gut. Always.

DS3

I think my advice would be to think what that person is going through before you pass judgement. Introduce yourself and get to know them. You may just be surprised what you learn.

(And judgement passing is left in a higher being's power, not ours.)

Cherish the special moments you share with your children. While on a day to day basis, it might seem like they'll be young forever, childhood is over much quicker then you think.

No matter how busy you are, make time to take care of yourself. Taking care of yourself is not selfish. It's a necessity.

This is a great thread! Thank you for starting it. SFR

buddy

I posted this before but I re-read it myself daily because I have it on a paper on my bedroom mirror.....

When your children deserve your love the least--is when they need it the most.

tiredmommy

Heather~ I say it this way:

Some are experts in education, others are experts in healthcare. But I'm the expert on my child.

Strange how so many of us have similar philosophies. :)