Is a psychoeducational evaluation the same as multidisciplinary evaluation?

hlrc102

My difficult child age 4yrs. 11 mos. is starting kindergarten in the fall. He was seen at Childrens hospital.in Philadelphia this past week and was diagnosed with 1) ADHD- combined 2) ODD 3) visual-motor integration problems. My question is this: The doctor that saw him told me to request a psychoeducational evaluation and Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation/services through the school district. I (thanks, Alisha) pulled up a sample request letter from the archives but am a little confused by the terminology. Is a psychoeducational evaluation the same as a multidisciplinary evaluation. I want to get my letter off to the school district and get the ball rolling, but do not want to appear half-cocked if i have the wrong terminology. Also, because it is summer do the same timelines for testing/ evaluations hold true?
Thanks,
Heather

Sheila

No. A psychoeducational evaluation is a general evaluation which results in an IQ. Types of tests utilized in such an evaluation would be Woodcock Johnson, WISC, WIAT II, etc.

This url will be helpful:
http://wholechild.net/psycheval.htm

This link will give an overview of testing with WISC III:
www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/assessment/tests_measurements.html#anchor846102

A multidisciplinary evaluation would include the psychoed evaluation, Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation, speech-language, psychiatric evaluation, etc. It even includes medical diagnostics. The sd is only required to test in areas of "suspected" disability, however.

Per the regs: "In evaluating each child with a disability under §§300.531-300.536, the evaluation is sufficiently comprehensive to identify all of the child's special education and related services needs, whether or not commonly linked to the disability category in which the child has been classified. The child is assessed in all areas related to the suspected disability, including, if appropriate, health, vision, hearing, social and emotional status, general intelligence, academic performance, communicative status, and motor abilities."

by the way, you're welcome.

Good luck!

hlrc102

OTE,
Thanks very much. Actually answered many questions I had. by the way- I actually believe someday we will find out that he is bi-polar. I hope not, but am already suspicious.
Thanks,
Heather