Is is possbile?

Jody

Last night my Golden Retriever Broady sat up the entire night in his crate. It freaked me out so bad I got up and turned on the news at about 2:45 AM. He knows when a storm is coming and I thought maybe we were going to get a thunderstorm. Weatherman was talking about 50 degrees and sunshine so I went back to bed. I live in Illinois. He always lies down and goes to sleep. Did anyone have any of their pets act any different than they usually do last night? I wonder how far away animals can sense storms, tsunami, earthquakes, seems like that would be mighty far, but he was acting might strange.

It's really making me start to wonder what's going on under ground.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Animals are weird. I wouldn't discount the possibility.

(This for some odd reason reminds me of a guy I used to work with... Said there are no tectonic plates under Ohio.)

in my opinion - butterfly effect. And animals have far less buzzing round their minds (no cell phones, PDAs, computers, TVs...)

Star*

call 911........call 911
A resounding yes.

Earthquakes produce ultra-low electromagnetic frequency emissions. These are sounds - not like the rumblings that are heard when the techtonic plates collide - but there are several studies being done, and some with animals. Most people are familiar with the teleseismic body wave magnitude (or what magnitude the quake was as it relates to rolling) but few people are aware of the other.

I tried to find the easiest to understand publication because most of the USGS and other studies are laiden with very, VERY boring techno babble - (insert hand sock puppet)

Scroll down to the part about animal studies - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_frequency_noise

I've read that when the tsunamsi was coming towards India? Elephants 'knew' and were trumpeting and nervous and stampeded - long before the water receeded. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the hearing they possess that humans lack.

As far as your Golden? I believe it's possible that he could be that sensitive. This was a huge quake. My thunder chicken slept like a log. lol.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just FYI - http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/qed/

This is an ultra cool (well I'm into this) but a map of the world and you can click on the links on the left - and see where Quakes are happening ALL THE TIME -

Check out 'real time USA' - check out the recent quake in Oklahoma - you'll be surprised to see how many earthquakes there are world-wide daily.

Mattsmom277

You know, I'd say there could be something to this.

My S/O's teen daughter is autistic. She hears airplanes from great distances. Not planes we can see, not even that white trail you see on clear days. I mean, these planes can be 10-15 minutes away from being visible to us in the far distance but we'd know one was coming. She also would react to storms hours before one became apparent to be on its way. The only thing that soothed her was well fitted headphones that cupped her entire ear and her favorite music playing on the ipod we bought her for this purpose.

I would think that pets may well know of all kinds of things changing in the atmosphere or under the ground.

Steely

I absolutely think this is possible. I even think people on some level can sense these things. Like MattsMom was saying.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Totally possible.

Since when doesn't ohio have tetonic plates? Cuz I'm fairly certain they do......along with fault lines. As does Illinois...........grew up there and even lived through an earth quake there. (yes in Illinois)

Betsy, our lab/basset mix is sensitive to weather changes. We know when a storm is coming.........and we always know when the tornado sirens are about to blare. It's easy. Betsy suddenly wants to be glued to your lap. For the sirens she starts barking. lol

The dog could have easily picked up on low frequency vibrations. Whether or not man made equipment can pick it up, doesn't mean a dog can't pick it up. Animals never cease to amaze me.

Was a guy a long time back who studied roaches. He discovered they always went bonkers before even a minor quake. (was on the west coast)

skeeter

Animals are weird. I wouldn't discount the possibility.

(This for some odd reason reminds me of a guy I used to work with... Said there are no tectonic plates under Ohio.)

in my opinion - butterfly effect. And animals have far less buzzing round their minds (no cell phones, PDAs, computers, TVs...)

Ok - this cracked me up. What did the guy think was UNDER us??? Did you guys feel the quake about 4-5 years ago that hit about 5:30am? I was sitting on the bed getting ready for work and I thought one of the dogs was brushing against the bed (they do this all the time after eating to "wipe their mouth") and yelled at them to stop. They were both in the other room.

H

HaoZi

I'd call it entirely possible. My cat didn't seem to notice a bit, and the fish are more concerned with the one that's sick (it finally came out from under the stump today but not looking too good). Feeling vibrations from the ground is something a number of land-based hunting animals are more tuned to than us, as well, because depending on the surface and substrata this can travel farther than sight, sound, and smell (think wolves locating a bison herd on the move).

As for storms, there's a change in barometric pressure ahead of a storm that they can pick up (if you know people that "feel rain coming in their bones" it's related to the same thing because it affects the liquid in the joints) as well as a difference in the positive/negative charge in the air, and likely are also more sensitive to minute temperature/wind changes as well. I'm sure there's more to it than that that we haven't learned yet.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Um Dude -

Check the map for the USGS earthquake site I put up -

There are quakes in Cleveland ALL.THE.Time. (educate, educate, educate)

There's a fault line that runs ......Oh never mind.

DDD

Starbie, that site is awesome...and scarey! I've saved it for husband because I know he'll find it fascinating. Who would have thunk there were so many in so many different locales. Thanks for sharing. DDD

Jody

Thank you for that information. I checked out the website and that's pretty cool star. Thanks. Interesting. I don't know what was going on but I know something strange was going on. My boy never misses an opportunity to sleep, and for him to sit up all night was very strange. He's a very quiet dog, no whimpering, whining or very much barking. Just sitting in his crate next to me. We did have an earthquake in Illinois last year and it was pretty cool. My 11 year old knew right away what it was, she came screaming from her bedroom, Earthquake. I didn't have my dog then, but I had cats and a bird and they were all going wild. I woke up shaking in the bed thinking I was dreaming and someone was at the door, but not at 4 AM. I told my daughter that it wasn't an earthquake and got to work and a co-worker said did you feel that earthquake? I felt an aftershock right after that. Creepy.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Umm... I don't think I'll even bother to tell him. I guess he thinks we're just sort of floating here.

Skeeter, that was when he said they didn't exist. HE didn't feel the quake, so OF COURSE it was made up, and oh BY THE WAY there are no tectonic plates under Ohio.

That's about the time most of the office spewed coffee everywhere. This is the guy who knows everything about everything... And complains more than 30 women...

Steely

The whole earth was knocked off his axis by this quake - I would think any animal or even person could feel it if they were enough in tune to the universe.

Jody

That is scary. Makes you really wonder what is going to happen next. I know my dog is really sensitive to me when I am sick. He just has a different way with things than some. He's only 1 1/2 but he has been pretty amazing. He listens and does what's he's told the first time. If you say leave it, no, he just walks away. Always did, even as a 8 week old puppy. He's just quiet and laid back and he knows when I am hurting, I tell him to be gentle and he is. Very sweet, smart, loving boy. Best, best friend. When we got Broady, as an adult I had that Christmas Morning feeling every morning for so long, every day when I got off work. I couldn't wait to go home. Still can't even though, it's become more routine as time goes by. He became more my dog, and I his person. He's a beautiful reddish golden color. I'de be with him all the time if I could. He makes me less anxious, when I am around him.

H

HaoZi

Yeah, it shifted the axis about 4", removed 8' (yes feet) of coastline from Japan, and made that day a tiny bit shorter to boot. I still haven't found if the axis movement is permanent or if it was more of a wiggle.