I've resisted believing that...

tiredmommy

Duckie's ODD is fueled by her allergies/asthma, up until now that is. She hasn't been able to take her Zyrtec or any antihistamine since last Wednesday because she goes for more skin testing tomorrow. She started being more difficult as of Friday. She's had crying jags and mini-meltdowns that last two days. She's afraid to be alone and very clingy. And she got a very bad tummy ache and throat was tingly after eating shrimp at lunch today (I'll be mentioning that to the doctor tomorrow!).

I'm looking forward to dosing Duckie before we leave the doctor's office. I hope she's back to herself very quickly.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Shellfish allergy is potentially life-threatening! I know this because I am allergic to shellfish and have reacted even to the vapors from cooking it. Also, her medical records MUST be flagged as many medical products (dyes for diagnostic procedures, etc., cross react with shellfish allergies)

I can also say that when my allergies are acting up, my anxiety and bipolar sx are exacerbated.

I also have environmental allergies and am allergic to my pets. I use Zyrtec but some people have had better luck with Claritin.

busywend

Yes, I think that is a good conclusion. At least you can take comfort in knowing there is help for her medically and that it also improves her behavior.

I hope the appointment is early tomorrow! LOL!

tiredmommy

10:15am, Wendy.

GN- I understand the seriousness of shellfish allergy... we're fortunate that she ate the shrimp today. I put 2 + 2 together because she also had a tummy ache after eating mussels a few weeks back. It could be a coincidence but I watched her like a hawk today and will request she be tested tomorrow.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
TM, I just wanted to bring it up because these days it seems like shellfish allergy has sort of flown under the radar as related to peanut/tree nut allergies.

It can vary in severity but tends to worsen with time. I even had a reaction years ago at one of those "Japanese Grills" where they cook your food in front of you.

A diner at the grill next to husband and I had a lobster dish and the fumes from that threw me into anaphylaxis.

As a warning for those of us of the (arthritic) set, a couple of years ago they started making supplements out of shellfish waste.

They are supposed to label this, but it is in very fine print. I went to buy my usual supplement and luckily my pharmacist who knows my allergies caught me at his checkout

tiredmommy

Yep, gotta check the labels! I'll be upset if I need to change my Worcestershire sauce because we use that when marinating steak. And the poor kid likes to tell her pickier friends that she's evolved because she eats shrimp, mussels and lobster. She'll be so sad. :(

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I use Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce and don't have a problem with it. I cannot eat good oyster sauce (meaning it actually has oysters in it).

LoL. About the "evolved". I sort of evolved eating a lot of Eastern European food but I grew up in a kosher household.

I was in my mid-teens before I tasted shrimp (shellfish are not Kosher). Got off the first time with a horrid case of hives and 24 hours of intestinal upset.

My grandmother told me that I got sick because "good Jews don't eat "trayf" (unclean) animals.

Luckily my allergist told me different. I've tried fried clams and also got sick. I left it there. No sense in pushing my luck.

However, because I didn't grow up eating shellfish; I don't miss them at all. I sort of laugh when people feel sorry for me because I can't eat what they consider to be "treat foods".

DammitJanet

Oh TM...I hope she isnt allergic to seafood. That would just be horrible. No Maine lobsters, whole fried clams from the Boston area, mussels, fried shrimp, oysters...sigh. I think I would just rather die!

M

ML

I agree that the allergies and behavior are part of the same ism. Our job is to find ways to mitigate a hositle environment by diet and precautions like allergen free areas, using the airconditioner and air purifiers. We take master for his allergy shots every week and he's doing better PLUS he's over his needle phobia now :) GL ML

tiredmommy

Well, doctor agrees it ***may*** have been an allergic reaction. We'll be taking her for a RAST test in six very long weeks. It's avoidance of all shellfish until the results are in.