6 year old son keeps getting kicked out of school

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by kim75062, Sep 1, 2016.

1. kim75062

kim75062 Active Member

Quick update: relocated to PA last week.
    Fingers crossed on a better school system

2. Triedntrue

Triedntrue Well-Known Member

Good luck

3. AppleCori

AppleCori Well-Known Member

Nice to “see” you again!

How did school go this year?

4. kim75062

kim75062 Active Member

His “Normal” amount of kicking, screaming, flopping but we made it :D honestly he didn’t even log that many hours of work compared to the endless hours it took but he’s so far ahead academically I didn’t even push it. We were busy preparing for the move and repairing the giant old house we bought. He defiantly has plenty of life skills hours for the year. He learned TSA has no sense of humor when you pack nerf guns and metal cars in your carry on :overreactsmiley:, that all the trees for 1100 miles on the highway look basically the same and just because candy is sugar free doesn’t mean you should eat the whole bag at once because stopping to :poop: every 15 mins is no fun lol

5. susiestar

susiestar Roll With It

Well, that sounds like a LOT of life lessons at a young age! For the years where I had a child between 3 and 6, any time we left the house was referred to as "Potty Tours of America" because whichever child was in that age range just HAD to use the bathroom in EVERY store/town/place that had one. I got to know the bathrooms on the route between OH and OK VERY well. We would drive to visit family and we figured out which places had decent restrooms FAST!

As far as TSA, they are pretty humorless. In EVERY country. At least your son is little. My folks took Wiz to England when he was 16 or 17. He got searched extra carefully in the airport in London because one of the bomb sniffing dogs was just fascinated by him (ALL animals except horses are). The dog got sent back to training the third time it saw Wiz and wanted to go "visit" him. Of course Wiz got kicked out of the Tower of London because the crows followed him and landed on him. Some superstition about the monarchy falling when the crows leave the Tower resulted in Wiz being asked to leave. He didn't feed the birds or have food or anything.

I hope school is better in PA for you and your son. I have not heard NEARLY the amount of complaints about PA than TX when it comes to special needs kids. And I have been here a LONG time! I also live closer to TX, but have relatives and friends who live/lived in or near PA. Some had to work to enforce an IEP with a specific teacher or aide, but NONE who had the level of active efforts against an IEP that my TX friends have seen.

It is good to hear from you!

6. kim75062

kim75062 Active Member

It’s been a while! I didn’t even bother with the public school here and I’m glad I didn’t. My nephew is a year older then my son and is high functioning autistic. He the text book example of an autistic kid actually. He made it 3 weeks here before his parents pulled him out. The level of bullying is INSANE for an elementary school and sadly the teacher he had wasn’t any better. They were all informed before school started about his issues, where to get his IEP etc. and never made the attempt.
    As for mine I signed him up with an online public charter school thinking it’s not quit homeschool but defiantly not as demanding as traditional public school. So far he’s getting by, not without tears and telling me how “stupid” the work is. He ended up with some great teachers that get him and are available to him pretty much whenever he needs them via webcam.

He sees a new psy tomorrow after being off all his medications for over 6 months now. He was up to 6 pills a day that turned him into a completely compliant little zombie with crazy weight gain. After telling his last psy NP that I was worried about him looking sad all the time her idea was to add zyprexa at 20mg a day. Luckily I know psy medications and told her she was nuts! No child should ever be started on heavy duty anti psychotics especially at that dose. He could of literally died from his BiPolar (BP) dropping on the first dose. I was looking to get rid of some not add more.

7. louise2350

louise2350 Member

Sounds like he's having a hard time adjusting to school. If he doesn't show those traits at home I'd think that he's just anxious at school. Of course, I'm not a psychologist but I know from working as an assistant teacher in the schools that a lot of the teachers just say this one and that one should be medicated, etc. When I was growing up, they never had that - putting a child on ADHD medication, etc. So, if you find a good physician to hear you, maybe that will help tremendously. I know it's tiring going from one dr. to another. I have a granddaughter who exhibits anxiety in school. She's 7 and still will not walk into school without her mother holding her hand walking her in or the principal walking her. She goes to Occupational Therapy for her intersenssory problems, but there are a lot of kids who do this and it's nothing really major. I hope things work out for you and you do get the answers you are seeking.

8. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

There are some odd little similarities with your child and mine when she was that age. She is now an adult.
    She was diagnosed with adhd around age five or six. She was diagnosed as Bipolar 1 around age 8. There were other issues too.

she’s adopted.

She got kicked out of a lot of pre schools. She was hyper and impulsive. She would run out of classrooms a lot. At times she was argumentative. Mostly with other kids. Never with teachers. And if another kid was very mean to her, she would be violent. She rarely started violence though.

I would learn your rights Re IEP laws. Politely, but firmly, insist. A certified letter might be appropriate.

Boundaries work. 123 Magic works. But now your child is getting a bit old for simply saying “123...”

this might sound a bit weird, but get help and support for yourself.

risperdal is a great / helpful medication....very helpful...but might be best if only used for extremely bad days (as needed) due to the bad side effect of breast enlargement.

using any adhd medication that is a stimulant should probably be used with caution and much observation.

you might consider part time work with such a child for the time being, but I wouldn’t stop working completely.

9. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Also...at one point I partially homeschooled our daughter.
    These were some of the best years.
    Sixth and seventh grades.
    Two classes at the middle school first thing in the morning.
    Subjects I didn’t like and with great and patient teachers. then I did the other subjects.
    it gave her some classroom experience and ability to interact with people her own age without overwhelming her. And it gave me some breathing room.
    Looking through the paperwork I Discovered that homeschoolers could take up to two classes at the school and so I set it up this way. She could keep it together for two classes.

had I been healthier maybe I would of continued. But this was a fairly good arrangement for a few years. Not too much drama those years.

Later in HS she went to a private school that was ok with “difficult” kids. It was really ashame as they dumbed diwn many subjects and although she is a bright girl, she ended up with a lower quLity education. (Rather then doing this particular thing...maybe best to push for an iep and consider tutors too)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020