Just proves that natural consequences work far better than anything else...

PatriotsGirl

So you all know how we have been on our daughter about her lounging around and not looking for a job, etc. It has done nothing. In one ear and out the other. She got moving a little after her PO warned her but not as much as she should.

Yesterday I made her a doctor's appointment and we went together. The doctor asked her what her occupation was. A natural question - she is an adult with a child. Well, Marina just sat there and didn't know what to say and I just shook my head. The doctor got the gist. When we left, Marina said she felt like SUCH a loser. I said nothing. We got home, she looked around at her bedroom and shook her head. Said she can't take the mess anymore. Then the icing on the cake - she remembered that the batteries have been dead in the remote for Connor's remote control car that he absolutely loves and said to me how unbelievably SAD it was that she couldn't even get her sorry butt up to change the batteries for her son. I told her now you see why we have been so exasperated with you.

So today we went to do some errands during my lunch break and she dropped off an application at Five Guys. We go next door to grab lunch at Arby's (which I rarely ever do but today it just sounded good) and they had a hiring sign up on the window. Marina asked about it and the manager at the window gave her an application, asked her some questions and then told her to come in Monday at 4pm! No idea if it is just for an interview or what but Marina is elated. :)

It has just been a weird (in a good way) past few days with her. Like literally watching the lightbulb come on above her head...

BusynMember

PG, she is actually a good girl who has difficult child tendencies, but these are the ones who ARE influenced by natural consequencses. I think she will grow up to be a fine young lady because she CARES I'm proud of her and I don't even really know her :)

wakeupcall

Oh..I pray for the day that happens. One of the therapists my difficult child had when he was about 8 years old, said it would happen. He said he'd only had one patient in 30 years who never had the light come on. I hope your difficult children light keeps her motivated! Good luck!

dstc_99

Good for Marina for waking up and realizing that she is not the most important one in the family. Connor is. He is going to need a mom who can't just take care of him but can also show him how and adult parent should act.

PatriotsGirl

So cute tonight. husband went over and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She asked what it was for and he said because he loved her and she is trying. :) she was so happy. It is amazing how much she still seeks his approval even at 21. But she is. She has been fantastic taking her medications on her own and went and did community service this morning. It has been a great week....so far. Can't get too excited...let's see if it lasts...