Kfld and others that have attended meetings for su

hearthope

What is the difference in the meetings?

I found one FA meeting that meets once a week.

I have found several NA and ALON meetings that meet daily.

I remember taking my ex to a NA meeting. We all sat in a circle and users spoke about this and that. It didn't offer support for me. but that was a long time ago and we only went once or twice. Am I correct that different meetings offer support for families than the actual meeting that the users attend?

Just looking for the right place that can help easy child and I

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> what you need is an alanon meeting. i'm not sure if NA has a comparable group or not. it's the anon groups that offer family support.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

Kris is right.

NA DOES ave Nar-Anon meetings, but, in my humble opinion, you will find that the Al-Anon meetings get the point across just as well, and are usually better attended. Your daughter could very well attend the Al-Anon meetings with you.

Hugs and prayers.

KFld

I attended a parent alanon meeting every week for almost a year and found it so supportive. I know in CT you can go online to the alanon website and get the schedule, just as you can find the AA and NA meetings. I think they also have a teen alanon if I'm not mistaken. You may want to go to keyword alanon and see if you can find a schedule in your state and area. I know the CT one lists the parent meetings which for me was wonderful. Everyone in that room had a child that was either an alcoholic or drug addict so they knew exactly what I was going through. If you attend the alanon, they use the word alcoholic, but you just replace drug addict for alcoholic and it all means the same in the end. I think 90% of the kids of the parents at my meetings were into drugs and not alcohol.

Sunlight

the alanon mtg I went to was parents sitting around a desk. all ni various stages of shock from their kid's substance problems. one mom was there because her son died and she wanted to help other parents before it was too late. I never went back. it depressed me and ant met other users to drug with at the mtgs he attended at both narc and aa mtgs so it discouraged me.

everywoman

The best thing I did for myself after husband went for treatment was al-anon. Even though he was a drug addict, the material fit the situation. I found it very helpful---especially the reading material. When difficult child got into his spiral downward, I pulled it back out and read daily. Something about the idea of one day at a time makes a difference for me. They talk a lot about detachment. difficult child is in NA now and it does seem to be helping.

Sunlight

I have to agree that the materials they publish did help and I still have some nearby to read often to help me detach more and understand.