Lets talk cars and trucks!

BusynMember

You dont have to name exactly the make.

Do you live in snow haven? Is so do you drive a four wheel drive truck. What kind? Pick up? Lots of trucks here. I drive.one, not a pick up. Six cylinder.

You? 8 engine, 6, 4?

Suv?

Two door? Four door? (Two here)

Compac car?

Hybrid?

Electric?

Classic?

Moorcyclre?

Public trans?

Walk?

Bicycle?

Tricycle?(i could fit on one sadly)

We are buying a "new" used car soon and I would.love a hybrid but it wont.pull a boat. So I think we will try for a small SUV. We wont be in snow country for the worst of winter anymore since we are traveling winters. No need for four wheel drives.

How mamy cars do tou have? We downsized to one since hubby retired.

Is insurance high in your area or not? Very cheap here. Even for our RV.

Lets talk cars!!!

Pink Elephant

What a fun topic, SOT! I like! :)

Do you live in snow haven? Is so do you drive a four wheel drive truck. What kind? Pick up? Lots of trucks here. I drive.one, not a pick up. Six cylinder. Dear husband drives a truck, a full-sized pickup truck, and older model Ford, with a V-8, and I drive a small compact 2007 4-door Toyota Camry.

You? 8 engine, 6, 4? Dear husbands pickup has a V-8, and my little car has a 4-cylinder.

Suv? No SUV for us, but that's what I want next time. Way better in winter, and larger than the current small little car I'm driving. More safety.

Two door? Four door? (Two here) 4-door all the way! Groceries, grandkids, passengers, so much easier to navigate in and out of a 4-door.

Compac car? Yep. Good on gas!

Hybrid? No.

Electric? No.

Classic? No.

Moorcyclre? No, LOL! I'm laughing at the thought of me riding a motorcycle!

Public trans? We have public transit, and in the past I have used it, especially on a miserable wintery day where the city is all snowed-in.

Walk? Oh yes, I love walking, even just for exercise.

Bicycle? Both dear husband and I, have bicycles, but we don't get out as much as we should. Love a casual, leisurely evening bicycle ride around the neighbourhood.

Tricycle?(i could fit on one sadly) LOL! I'm much too large to fit on a tricycle! I'd need at least 6 seats to support my big derriere!

We are buying a "new" used car soon and I would.love a hybrid but it wont.pull a boat. So I think we will try for a small SUV. We wont be in snow country for the worst of winter anymore since we are traveling winters. No need for four wheel drives. That sounds nice, SOT. Wow, and a boat, too! We have always wanted a boat.

How mamy cars do tou have? We downsized to one since hubby retired. Two... but we used to have just the one, and that made for some challenging times, especially when the kids were little.

Is insurance high in your area or not? Very cheap here. Even for our RV. Insurance is atrocious. Most people have taken to offsetting their premium by doing a 50/50 private insurance/provincial insurance, which reduces average insurance costs considerably.

Lets talk cars!!!

Tired out

Hubby drives an SUV, I really like his and I should since I picked it out :)
I drive a Swagger Wagon (Toyota sienna, converted for wheelchair). As mini vans go I really like it.
If I could pick any vehicle I would go back in time and get my
Pontiac STE brand new all over again. I loved that car.

AppleCori

We have a Silverado, crew cab (4-door), full size that I use for my main vehicle.

We have to have a truck to pull the boat, plus I have that short-female-syndrome thing which compels me to have a need to be higher up than everyone else I traffic.

Hubby has one of those compact SUVs which I (affectionately) refer to as the station wagon. He is not thrilled when I say this.

Car insurance is exceedingly inexpensive here.

Pink Elephant

Yes, here in British Columbia, we have ICBC, which is a Crown Corporation.

So for simplicity purposes, say insurance for SOT's car is $1000 a year through ICBC, which is a lot for SOT.

SOT, fed up with the high rates she's paying, signs-on with a Private Insurer, who, picks up everything in the way of insurance costs over and above the basics, which by-law, the Crown Corporation is tied to, and in return, a savings is extended your way, because Private Insurance runs cheaper than Government monopolized insurance.

On average, just as an example, your $1000 per year would go down $200-$300 a year, so you can imagine the overall savings for households that insure more than one vehicle, along with other miscellaneous things such as boats and trailers and things.

BusynMember

We never get breaks in the U.S.

Nothing. Well... Not without ridicule.

Many people call any government help a handout. These are normally people who can afford easuly to pay their bills.

I always did think Id fit in better in Canada.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Do you live in snow haven? Is so do you drive a four wheel drive truck. What kind? Pick up? Lots of trucks here. I drive.one, not a pick up. Six cylinder.

I used to live in snow haven (Far Northern WI) I drove 1st an older Toyotal 4-runner true 4 wheel drive that you switched in an out of. It had an 8 cyl engine. Sold that, and in 2013, bought a 2012 Toyota RAV 4 AWD SUV, which I have to this day. It's a 4-banger, and while adequate for the roads up North, can't go many of the places the bog ol'4-runner could, and certainly doesn't have the towing capacity. I've the RAV 4 in Milwaukee for 3yrs now, and it's a great little "city/suburb" SUV while being comfy for longer drives.

You? 8 engine, 6, 4? 4

Suv? Yes

Two door? Four door? (Two here) 4. Won't drive a 2-door. Doors are two heavy, and it's too hard for my (aging or elderly) passengers to get in and out of the back seat in a 2 door.

Compac car?

Hybrid? I wish

Electric?

Classic?

Moorcyclre?

Public trans? Occasionally. We have public trans in Milwaukee and between the suburb I live in and Milwaukee, but its bus only and not time effective.

Walk? limited due to arthritis

Bicycle?I wish I could. My knees are shot

Tricycle?(i could fit on one sadly)See above.

We are buying a "new" used car soon and I would.love a hybrid but it wont.pull a boat. So I think we will try for a small SUV. We wont be in snow country for the worst of winter anymore since we are traveling winters. No need for four wheel drives.

How mamy cars do tou have? We downsized to one since hubby retired.
Just me. Just one car. When it was hubby and me, we had two cars until he was unable to drive. Always one that could travel distances, haul to catshows, etc., and one for city run around.

Hard to say. It was high up North because I was subsidizing all the drunk drivers on the road up there. It dropped a bit when I moved to Milwaukee county. I have premium coverage with Geico, and get a discount due to being the widow of a disabled vet who draws DIC. I pay around 700 dollars a year for auto and renter's.

Lets talk cars!!!

ahhjeez

Do you live in snow haven? Is so do you drive a four wheel drive truck. What kind? Pick up? I live in the Northeast so we tend to get a ton of snow. Except for my first car, all the others have either been 4 wheel drive trucks/SUV's or AWD.

You? 4 cylinders.

Suv? We currently have a Subaru Forester which is a smaller SUV and a Subaru Legacy which is a sedan.

Two door? Four door? I need four door cars. 2 door make me feel claustrophobic if I sit in the back.

Compac car?

Hybrid? No.

Electric? No.

Classic? No.

Moorcyclre? My husband has a dual-sport dirtbike.

Public trans? We have a commuter rail that runs into Boston from my town, but there is no buses or subways in my area.

Walk? Generally for exercise.

Bicycle? I can't seem to stay upright on bikes.

Tricycle? Now this I could do, but I think my neighbor would never let me live it down.

How mamy cars do tou have? 3. My husband's, mine & my mom's.

Is insurance high in your area or not? Insurance is so high here.
Lets talk cars!!!

Lil

Not a ton of snow in Mid-Mo. But Jabber does have a 4wd pickup. It's a Chevy Colorado, 4-door. I guess it's considered a mid-size, but trucks have gotten SO much bigger over the years. It's the same size or bigger as the old Silverado I drove in law school 30 years ago.

I drive a Kia Forte, which was what Jabber drove before the truck. Then I was the one with the all-wheel-drive. We pretty much always have at least one that has AWD or $WD capability.

You? 8 engine, 6, 4?

I believe both of our vehicles are 6 cylinders.

Two door? Four door? (Two here)

Both are 4 doors.

Public trans?
Walk?
Bicycle?

Public transportation here is a joke. It's only 2 miles to my work and I would walk or bike...but it's uphill both ways. Literally, we live at the top of one big hill and work is at the top of another and there's lots of little hills in between. My fat-hiney can't get up the hills on a bike and I about die on the walk (I've tried) and it takes me like 45 minutes.

4WD hold their value much better than other vehicles.

Depends, really. I'd say we're not terribly expensive, but ours is lower because Jabber has had the same company for 20 years and we have all our insurance thru them, house, cars, etc. Ins. for our son was kind of pricey...but that's a 18 year old boy for you.

Jabberwockey

Jabber has had the same company for 20 years

Actually, I've had the same insurance company since I got my first vehicle at the age of 19. No, I didn't have my own vehicle during High School. My dad had a rule that NOBODY got their own vehicle before turning 18, no exceptions, long before I even considered being able to drive. Being the 5th of seven does that. We forever had people pulling into our driveway and asking how much for a vehicle. It was quite annoying!

Guess I should add that I turn 52 this year so have had the same insurance company for 33 years, since 1985.

KTMom91

No snow here in Central CA. I have a small four-door Chevy, Hubby has a Subaru crossover. I would prefer to be driving a bright red Camaro, but...

Insurance costs aren't too bad now that my last speeding ticket dropped off. I like to go fast. Bus service here is not great, it's too far to walk, and my knees won't let me bicycle.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have a 2012 Mazda 5 Sport which I purchased in 2011 because of hubs mom living with us and it was low to the ground and easy for her to get out of the wheelchair and easy for her to get into and more than enough space in the rear for her wheelchair. Never had a problem with it and have only taken it in for oil changes and occasionally new tires. The passenger doors slide open which makes it really easy to load stuff in like all the dogs, groceries and whatever "stuff" hubs brings home from storage. Jamie just bought a brand new Kia which is a hybred. It will only go 22 miles on an electric charge, which for him is good as it is 11 miles each way back and forth to his work. To me it is a total PITA. Being old, I don't like NOT to hear an engine when I am driving - the dead silence makes me nervous. Not to mention I don't have a degree in electronics to figure out how to even start the dang thing. We have to run an electric cord from the garage to the driveway for him to charge it. He set the recharge time for the middle of the night when the electric cost is lower. It hasent really done a big hit to the electric bill, but I am not keen on having a live plug outside 24/7. One plus is that the electric company sent a rebate for 450.00.

BusynMember

My daughter has a Ford C Max and she doesnt have to charge it up. The engine charges it.She can drive fast or slow and the only difference I noticed is the important one...on 40 bucks a fill up she can drive from middle Wisconsin, where I live, to Chicago. Gets about 38-40 per miles then the engine starts and it charges the battery. She has a hybrid, not a battery only car. Thats what it sounds like your son has. My daughter drives all over and doesnt have a cord and I love her car. Its not small either. The car is mid size. Holds five people. Its a very cool car in my opinion.

Copabanana

Swot. Why not get a car like your daughter has? You seem to love it.

To change the direction here, a bit: With your new RV, are you going to tow a car? If so, maybe you want to keep that in mind as you purchase a new car. Is it

Is your new rv a Class A or Class C? How many feet long? What year and model? I have been shopping for one too. I am pushing M. Or pulling him? I have been looking a couple of years. I do not want to spend a lot of money.

Ideally I would want something about 24 or 25 feet long. Long enough to have the queen bed in back. We will not be going long distances. We live 2-3 hours from anywhere we would want to go. To public campgrounds and boondocking. So. We do not have to be concerned that high class campgrounds will not let us in, due to the age of our rig. I would like to get one that is year 2000 or newer, but will consider even late 80"s if it is complete. This is sounding like a wanted ad.

How did you guys decide upon what you got? Did it just appear or did you decide what you wanted, narrow it down, and then go look?

We do not want too go far to look preferring to buy locally. It is not such a lost cause, because a lot of people here have rvs. Just mostly trailers, which we do not want.

BusynMember

Ok, ok, ok.

My RV is a Damon Intruder, 36'. So its big. At one time we thought of living in it. Its a motorhome, quite nice. Not new but looks new. I dont know how long that will last with three little dogs traveling with us!

We are towing a Trailblazer we just bought. I like bigger vehicles since my accident. Its a 6 cylinder. No way can we afford the gas to drive the mobile home all over!

I hope you can talk M. into buying one. I am so excited and I think it would be good for you!!