Looking for advice (warning: sensitive matter, not going to be for everyone)

Marguerite

Perhaps that is why so many get away with it, their victims are too pained to do the necessary tasks to put the bad guys away.

They get away with it, and the victims are as damagedemotionally as they are, BECAUSE these creeps lay such good groundwork planning ahead to keep themselves out of the clutches of the law. The very first thing they try to do, is to make sure the victims feel personally to blame and are afraid they will be seen as the guilty ones should they ever report it.

Your grandmother - why did she allow her daughters to be abused? Perhaps because she herself was an abuse victim and had been taught from childhood to accept it as normal. An abuser (possibly her husband?) can instinctively sniff out victims and pounce on them with delight as having had a lot of the hard preparation work done for them. Unless it was grandma who was a primary abuser (following her own abuse?)

Especially in the older generation (before incest was talked about) women protected the abusers in the family for fear of losing the family unit. Denial was the way, plus 'blame the victim'. Anything to stop problems, anything to avoid airing dirty linen. After all, "it happened to me and I'm fine." Or similar.

People can justify things to an amazing (and horrifying) extent.

That's why it continues through generations.

Marg

Mattsmom277

My grandmother was a very disturbed woman. She had many children. My father was "her baby". It was a seriously unnaturally protective relationship. In her eye, he could do no wrong. She covered for him at every turn and protected him until her death. She was not an abuse victim, but she was emotionally abusive to her children, with the exception of my father. She knew what my father was doing to all of the other siblings, all the daughters and the one other brother. She simply would not stop it because it was my father doing it. And my father was always allowed anything he wanted. Every one of my aunts and uncles ran away permenantly from home between ages 12-15. Simply put, this woman would have never stopped my father, nor allow the siblings to report the goings on. Even if the siblings had went to police, this woman would have protected my father and called her children liars to ensure he would not be prosecuted. If anybody can be truly evil, I believe this woman was. The other siblings all suffered so much more than the abuse from my father. They lived with this womans influence and nastiness their entire lives. Only one found a way to escape it. She simply cut ALL of the family out of her life. She maintains limited contact with 2 of the sisters, very limited. She actually lives in town here where I am. I wouldn't know her to see her. She apparently knows me and sees me out and about from time to time. However, I am my fathers daughter, so I've been told to not take it personally, but that there is no way this woman would ever approach me and if I were to find out who she is and approach her, it would be very upsetting to her. In one sense I feel I shouldn't pay for my fathers sins, but the realistic side of me realizes this womans pain is so deep and seeing me must bring up feelings about my father that are so difficult for her. I'd never want to be the cause inadvertently of more pain for her.
You know, i knew my father was twisted. Until this past couple months, learning all this new information, I never could have imagined the horror brought to so many lives for so many decades. I had no clue the depth of his depravity or the path of destruction.
I am so grateful to know that there are no signs that any of his victims have become abusers. That is the saddest part for me of sexual abuse, how abused people often become abusers themselves. It seems the women in my family are strong as is my uncle. They have forged loving marriages, raised great kids and are loving grandparents. Another thing to be thankful for in this situation!

Marguerite

Something important to realise - nobody is ever bad, inside to themselves. They can always justifty their actions, they can always find a way to 'explain' it all. People don't choose to be evil, the actual outcome is a combined effect from their actions and their response to teir own actions (or inactions).

People aren't black andwhite. Inside this woman, there is a reason for all this.

I'm not saying this to encourage you to think kindly of her, or any other stuff like that. ONly that when you can really get inside someone's head and work out what makes them tick, you have a better idea of the bigger prciutre as well as some sense of what they are likely to do next.

From what you say - what she did was horrible. To be able to let ONe child get away with it all, at the expense of ALL the others - there must have been a BIG reason for this, in her mind. Again, it could come down to the abuser being able to wrap her around his little finger. He certainly sounds manipulative enough, cunning enough. She had to sacrifice a great deal indeed, to protect him. So either there is a HUGE investment in him (which would be fascinating to know what, and why) or he had some hold over her, some level of personal blackmail.

To understand this, is to have a better understanding of the breadth of damage this man can create. And to know THAT, is to have even more protection for yourself and your rapidly increasing family.

Abused people don't always become abusers, but often in other ways they find temselves in an abusive relationship and turning a blind eye to more abuse going on. I've seen it happen - they either over-react, or under-react. A good friend of mine (not the one I talked about before) grew up with an emotionally abusive father. While he wasn't directly sexually abusive, he did 'perv' on his daughters in the nude and encourage visitors to the house to do the same. My friend went on to marry an abuser and rapist who probably molested their kids. Her husband was also violent, in front of the kids. As she said, "he would use his fists as foreplay."
One day we were on the veranda of the church waiting for the kids to arrive for youth group. A drunk walked up to shelter from the rain. My friend was afraid of him and took herself inside, but not before she began giving the man an earful for being verbally abusive. I stayed and talked to the man, I recognised that he was harmless, just full of loud talk. But inside, my friend was shaking in fear and afraid for me.

My friend's reaction was the result of her own experience and her resultant extreme sensitivity, to the point where she risked causingthe very problems she feared. Instead, I talked the man down, let him shelter outside on the veranda until the storm passed, then waved him goodbye. I was not afraid, although I was relieved when he left.

My friend thought me foolhardy. I said I knew what I was doing, I could read the man and he was responding wqell to quiet words, but responding badly to fear and aggression.

If you show fear, you can sometimes trigger the very thing you are afraid of. But my friend, who is in all other ways a strong woman, a brave woman - this is her weak spot, her Achilles heel. And all because of her experiences - not only her violent ex-husband, but her father's insistence on subservience and acceptance of his bullying/abuse.

I knew her parents and liked them, although her mother was an enabler who MUST have seen the abuse (she lived with it) but to her dying day denied all knowledge of the things her daughters reminded her of. She was there, she was part of it, she allowed him to treat his girls that way - and yet she insisted she couldn't remember any of it. And she probably couldnt', because for her, she had too great an emotional investment in the success of her marriage. To admit it was less than perfect, or that he was a very imperfect father, would have been to admit that the marriage she had forced her parents to agree to, was a mistake. And she could never allow herself to admit that her parents had been rihgt, after all.

Cherchez le motive...

Marg