Looking for Support Group

Looney

My husband and I are hitting some rough spots in dealing with our 2 teenage sons. Both have become increasingly rebellious. One son is sitting in the Juvenile Detention Center right now for charges of assaulting me and my husband. We haven't been allowed to see him. We did ask for an appointment to see him, but he called his brother and told him he didn't want to see us. My heart is broken. I worry about what he is going through, that it will only make him worse. I worry that maybe he will be mean to us when he finally gets out, or worse yet - that they won't let him return home. I worry about the costs of everything. I just worry, worry, worry. I know there are oodles of parents out there that have been in my shoes or worse, but I still can't stand the thoughts of all this. If anyone has any suggestions of a support group for someone like me, I'd appreciate it.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome,
I'm sorry your sons are struggling so much right now. I don't mean to start with so many questions but the answers will help.

Do your sons have any official diagnoses? Have they had evaluations done by nuero psychologists and child psychiatrists?

You are not alone in struggling and this is a great place to be, it's a soft place to land and you will receive much support.

smallworld

Welcome! Sharon's questions will definitely help us point you in the right direction.

Your local NAMI should be able to help with resources and local support groups. Check www.nami.org to find the chapter nearest you.

BusynMember

If they are abusing substances, really good groups that don't cost a thing are Nar-Anon or Al-Anon.
You may want to do a signature like I did below to give us a better idea of what has gone on. It is so hard to get teenagers to comply with treatment.

TerryJ2

Hi, welcome.
So sorry about your boys, and juvie.
First, I would recommend that you learn to detach.
It's very hard but it's a mental lifesaver.
When my son was in the psychiatric hospital, I viewed it as a wk off for myself. :)
Use the time to take care of anything you couldn't do b4 because yoiu were so wrapped up in the fighting.
Also, in reg to a support group, I don't know where you live, but if you call your local hospital human resource ctr or PR dept they may be able to help you.