Lunch Success

Andy

Today was so much fun! I heated and served a lunch for 20 kids and 8 adults. It cost less than $70.00 with $22.00 collected towards it. (I had included on the flier that a $2.50 donation was welcomed but not necessary - we had all but one student participate.)

I purchased the food last night after school and stayed at school all morning. Dug the lunch trays out of storage and ran them through the dishwasher then set up everything as needed (including writing each child's name on a paper cup and indicating if they got chocolate or white).

We had lasagna (I am not allowed to "make" a meal but can heat and serve a pre-made store bought item), garlic toast, apple sauce (just as cheap in individual cups as a jar), lettuce with dressing, and ice cream. We found some cookies we were also able to serve with the ice cream.

I put the lasagna and toast on the tray. My friend D put the applesauce and lettuce on the tray and supervised the dressing. Our friend H delivered each cup of milk to the tables. We served ice cream as the kids finished eating.

Since it looked a little nasty out (snow), we opened up the divider between the kitchen and gym so the kids could play inside while we supervised while cleaning up after lunch. That way the kids who were done could also go play - some took longer than the normal lunch time of 20 minutes to eat.

The large pan of lasagna wasn't quite done on time so I cut the smaller two pans into smaller serving sizes. I figured the kids are such slow eaters and don't eat much anyway - atleast not on regular lunch bag days.

These kids ate so fast and many came back for 2nds (which justified my making the big pan). I only have 2 servings left of lasagna. Tonight at PTL, I will see who would like the unopened 2 bags of lettuce and I will keep the left over applesauce (I took those items off the cost).

And the very best part - - - The kids were so thankful. My friend who came to help serve and I received so many thank you froms the kids.

What a great day!

4sumrzn

How cool is that! I'm so glad you had such a great day, the kids were thankful & appreciated what you did! That's awesome.

Andy

No special occassion - I get one day each year that I get off of work but the kids still have school - Veterans Day. Our school has not had a hot lunch program last year and this year so I thought it would be nice to provide a hot meal on my Holiday.

It was the talk of the school today, even the teachers were excited. Throughout the afternoon, whenever I met a child in the hallway, they would say thank you again. That is the best feeling in the world - when a child says thank you for something like this. Even the Kindergartners thanked us. I knew parents would appreciate this but I didn't expect this level of excitement from the kids.

tiredmommy

That sounds wonderful! I'm glad it went off so well and your hard work was appreciated. :thumbsup: We had 21 kids and 8 adults for our Harvest Party yesterday at the church. The kids had a blast!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Sounds fun and rewarding, Andy. The school has no hot lunch program??? Wow. That takes me back to the early 60's.

Abbey