Marti? Sheila?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by wakeupcall, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. wakeupcall

    wakeupcall Well-Known Member

    It's been suggested that I write you in this forum. difficult child brought home a note from the principal today. In response to him kicking someone yesterday, "We have decided that the next act of aggression will result in out of school suspension." NOW what do we do?? This is never-ending!!
  2. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    Write a letter requesting an IEP meeting in order to review and beef up his Behavior Intervention Plan. If he doesn't have a BIP as part of his IEP, you want to add one -- now.

    Also, request a formal Functional Behavioral Assessment. After it's been completed, the IEP Committee will need to meet again to review it and adjust the BIP.

    As always, use Certified Mail. This is pretty urgent, so I'd also hand-carry the letter to the Special Education Director's office. Adjacent to your closing, have it signed as being received.


    Received by:

    ___________ ____________
    Date Time
  3. Martie

    Martie Moderator

    I responded on your thread on the General Board.

  4. wakeupcall

    wakeupcall Well-Known Member

    He has always had an IEP-Other health Impaired. At the review this year his behavior didn't warrant a BIP, but we requested one today. I wish I knew what was going on with him. It seems no doctor can flush it out, I can't flush it out, the team at Texas Children's Hospital can't flush it out. I told difficult child yesterday that I'm tired, hurt, sad, confused, and I don't know how to help him anymore than we already are. Maybe an alternative school would be the best place for him....but I know absolutely nothing about an alternative school.
  5. wakeupcall

    wakeupcall Well-Known Member

    Can my son's school conduct a Functional Behavioral Assessment without our written permission? I think we're about to be railroaded here and I don't know what to do. We have an IEP meeting tomorrow and the principal just called and wants me to bring the info from Texas Children's Hospital. Last year we gave them what we thought was pertinent to the school and blacked out everything else. NOW they want to know what was blacked out. We blacked out all the part concerning his encopresis, etc. I didn't figure it was any of their business. Anyway, I wanted to know about the assessment and if they had the right to go ahead and do an assessment without permission. Isn't an assessment done by someone other than the admin. in his school?
  6. Martie

    Martie Moderator


    Under IDEA 2004, you have the right to refuse special education services and your SD cannot take you to Due Process over it. However,IF you refuse, then your SD has no obligation to deliver any services--that makes sense, you just refused them. However, your SD can also expel your child permanently because you are also refusing all legal protections whether you know that or not.

    My advice would be let them do the BIP. It is a legal requirement (duty for them) and is the best hope for keeping your difficult child in a regular school building. In the mean time, you might want to start reading up on alternative and therapeutic schools (they are not the same thing) so you will feel more informed if the topic is discussed.

  7. wakeupcall

    wakeupcall Well-Known Member

    Oh, thanks so much. At least I know what to expect. I feel certain that they are going to do a BIP, and then I can have some time to look into the alternatives!