Mandy called me last night and informed me that her doctor has done a couple of routine blood tests and she has come back with high lead levels. Mandy wanted to know if the health dept could come check our house. Uh, no. Number one its a disaster zone but also my mobile home was built in 2001 and it wouldnt have any lead paint in it at all. From what I understand, they stopped using lead paint sometime in the 70s. I dont buy any wooden toys from China, even wooden toys from yard sales and I dont have any used cribs or used playpen or portacrib. Nothing I have ever used with her is older than a few years old. Most of her toys are either new or name brand. I dont have any antique furniture that is painted. My few pieces that are antiques are stained. The are certainly not chipping and she doesnt go in the room that they are in. I dont even have painted headboards. In fact I dont have any headboards in my house. Mandy said she has a few old cabinet type things in her house that were handmedowns which have some chipping paint and maybe the baby has been getting into the paint chips. She has no idea if they are lead or not. They live in an older house that they have been remodeling. Cory has been putting up new sheetrock over all the walls. They are hoping its not the windows because they dont know what they will do then. They arent exactly renting this place. One of Mandy's relatives gave it to them on the condition they fix it up. I have a sneaky suspicion that once it is fixed they will be told to leave but what do I know. Maybe not. I have no idea what type of pipes are going into their house and I dont know if lead could be getting in that way. I dont think so to be honest. I think that would be really old and this place really isnt that old. I dont even think it is old enough to have lead paint on the walls unless someone had some old gallons of lead paint hanging around and painted it illegally. I asked Mandy if it could have happened at the place where they lived when the baby was first born because it was really old and she said the doctors said no because the levels are too high. They are going to test the baby one more time to see if the levels are at the same level and if they are then they will go out to her house to check for where the contamination is coming from. I know it cant be from here. She really isnt here often enough to get it anyway. We only get her maybe once a month if that. Gas is unleaded now so even if she smelled fumes while we were filling the tank that couldnt account for it. I have no clue. Could breathing cigarette smoke increase lead levels? Surely not. I raised three boys and smoked like a chimney around them and never had an issue. I swear, I raised my boys in some old dumpy houses that were barely fit for people to live in and none of my kids ever had lead poisoning or got lice. I was not a great housekeeper either. We lived by the three second rule. If it hit the floor and it got picked up within three seconds you just blew it off and continued eating it. We that applied to things like cookies and dry food. Not to a plate of spaghetti. I just dont get it.