menopause ?

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
ok I am 36, my Mom said she started around this time because she had me young, at 19 (I am an only child). I was done reproducing at 25. I have been only having my "friend" every other month. My one oler friend says I have started the "change", my other older friend says I may have a cyst or tumor in one ovary, I like friend #1's version the best, but I guess I should schedule an appointment. with GYN in case. Ant one else have similar symptoms??? or thoughts or opinions?

KTMom91

Wish I knew...I'm wondering myself if menopause is starting. My mother had a hysterectomy at 31, and her mother had a baby at 46. I have no idea what to expect based on family history. I'll be glad to find out what others think.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I started perimenopause in my late 30's but had different symptoms from what you describe. It's a good idea to get checked out in case it's something altogether different that's affecting you.

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
It could be thyroid issues. Lots of possibilities for irregular periods.
Get a check up to put your mind to rest.

lmf64

I am assuming that I am also in the beginning of the change. A couple of years ago I had my friend every two weeks for about four months, then didn't have it for 6 weeks at a time and then didn't have it for over a year and now had it once since losing my house in the fire 6 weeks ago. I don't know what to expect next, but am prepared since like I said it was after the fire and hey I bought the biiiiiiiiig box lol

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I started menopause at 35. My periods came later and later. But they also became shorter and heavier and more painful. And I noticed PMS symptoms were much worse.

Weeks late gradually became every couple of months, then about every 3 or 4 months, then 6 months. Now at 44, I haven't had one since last July.

And since most of the other symptoms I've been having have subsided except for the occasional hot flash, I'm thinking I might be finished. My family tends to go thru the change early.

Get a good GYN check up and a general physical. There are too many possibilities for missed or late periods. If you're perimenopausal your doctor will tell you. But it's best to be checked to make sure there is nothing else causing it.

Hugs

Marguerite

I'm not a fan of perimenopause. I hit 50 and hit early menopause like hitting a brick wall. I found that instead of getting my period less often and shorter, it hit heavy and long. It got so I was making up bad jokes along the lines of MAD magazine, "You know you have heavy periods when..."
Things like, "...you go through three packs a day and you don't even smoke."

My GP took a history then prescribed HRT. It was blessed relief - like turning off a tap. My iron levels began to return to normal, after visibly dropping 10 points every couple of weeks. Two years later, high BiPolar (BP) meant I had to stop HRT. But no matter - my body was 2 years older and further down the track.

It's still taking more time, but it's always worth checking with the doctor to make sure you have self-diagnosed correctly.

My mother had 7 kids when her periods just stopped, just like that, when she was 44. She eventually went to the doctor, after about six months. He said to her, "You're six months pregnant."
It was me.

It ALWAYS pays to check with the doctor!

Marg

busywend

If you do go into menopause early there are things you need to do to help prevent other health problems. For example, early menopause means higher risk of stroke. My Aunt has to have her veins checked every year for clots. It could be the HRT medications I suppose. She started at 29 and I recall it being very scary as it now meant other health problems could be a risk.

So, see a doctor - it certainly can not hurt!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Somehow I follow my mother's path. She went grey at 21...me too. She started menapause at 41. Me too. Unfortunately, she went through 10 years of the wrath. Me too. Still in it. So, I guess I have another 5 years to go. WONDERFUL!!! I wish I had the missing monthly. Nope...I get the pleasure of hugely heavy and painful.

Abbey

I agree with the others who said you should make an appointment to see your GYN - As Fran said, there could be many reasons why this is happening. I went through menopause fairly early - I was definitely surprised!!! I've always wondered if lots of stress could be partially responsible for early menopause. I really don't know my family history. My mother had a hysterectomy when she was about forty. I no longer have any contact with her.

Anyway, I hope you make an appointment soon. WFEN

Wiped Out

Staff member
Definitely see a your GYN. I went through a very early menopause as I was only 20. For me it's because I have polyglandular failure (adrenal, ovaries, and thryoid). All of these years I have had to be on HRT. The risks of not using HRT for me (because of my age) would have been worse than being on it.

bonnieandclyde

I have been in menopause since I turned 48 and at 51 it has progressively gotten worse with hot flashes and dryness, preventing intercourse. I have done my homework and decided to go on a low carb diet and include 1/3 of a cup of ground flax everyday. After a month of low carb and a week of flax seed I am happy to report the hot flashes are down from several a day, to just a few a day, I think more clearly, and guess what my woman parts are much better and had intercourse last night for the first time in years and it didn't hurt!! I think it had more to do with the flax although the low carb diet has helped to get some ugly fat off of me, and lower my ph which is a very good thing for preventing other diseases. The recent flax addition for me was the real cure to the hot flashes and painful intercourse. Much love

susiestar

Roll With It
ALL of you, when things change, get checked out. Regardless of how much you hate the pelvic.

It could be a child, my gma had a ten yr old and a fifteen yr old when she thought she was in menopause. Nope, it was my mom and my Gma was almost 50.

It could also be another problem. A friend had a twisted ovary that was so bad it cut off all blood flow and the ovaries was dead inside her for days before she was so sick her kids called an ambulance because she was hallucinating from the fever caused by the decomp of the ovary. She almost DIED.

My mother got heavier and heavier periods. what NO ONE knew until they went in to start the hysterectomy was that she was bleeding internally with each period. It is NOT as uncommon as you would think when the period gets heavier and harder. Her abdomenal cavity was filling iwth it during each 'period' that was so long and heavy. They started the incision going up from the inside and were FLOODED with blood, so they had to stop and go in through her belly FAST because she was bleeding out. The scar is about eight inches wide and they thought they were going to have to make it bigger to let another surgeon help. She almost bled out in under five min on the operating room table.

There was a strong possibility that she could have bled out that fast during ANY of her 'longer and heavier" periods, and they had gone on for almost a year before I had a tantrum and insisted she HAD to see the doctor because she had grandkids and they NEEDED her alive, not dead from too much blood loss.

Go to the doctor. PLEASE. This is NOT something to joke about. You do NOT want a twisted ovary to die in there. You do NOT want to bleed to death and leave your kids without a mom to help them through life. They NEED you, and so do all your other loved ones.