Multi-Factor Evaluation?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by flutterbee, Nov 12, 2008.

  1. flutterbee

    flutterbee Guest

    My GP's office said to request a multi-factor evaluation from the SD. I have no idea what this is or if it would even be useful. Then the nurse goes on to tell me that her son had this and since he tested ok on it, they refused the audiologist evaluation. So, I'm thinking this doesn't sound like something I want to do.

    I'm not looking at specific learning disabilities in the way I understand them. I'm seeking answers to specific 'deficits' - such as auditory processing, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) spectrum, etc. I'm not sure the multi-factor evaluation will be useful for this?
  2. Superpsy

    Superpsy New Member

    The quick answer? It depends. Depends on what tests they give. Sure, most MFEs (multi-factored evaluation) will mostly focus on learning disabilities but if you request that they examine auditory processing (speech language pathologist may do a screening or it may be part of the psychiatric evaluation- of course not as detailed or in depth as an audiologist's evaluation since the audiologist is specifically looking at auditory processing) and you suspect Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) they may complete rating scales, standardized observational assessments etc. etc. Oh, in your sig you mentioned difficult child has NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) characteristics, that should come up in a typical MFE. Before the SD begins the evaluation be sure that you know what they are assessing (in my districts we typically have an assessment planning meeting). Hope this helps.
  3. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    The sd is required to perform a 'multidisciplinary evaluation.' This is the initial evaluation that is to be performed, the triannuel, and upon request from the parent.

    If difficult child has had one in a while, it'd be a good idea to let the sd do it. However, Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) evaluation can only be done by an audiologist. If the sd has to contract with-one, that's what they have to do.

    If you don't agree with-the sd report for any reason, you can request an IEE.