My knees are killing me...

KTMom91

Guess it's the change in the weather, but my knees hurt so bad I can hardly walk. It's been difficult to get to sleep (again - I thought I had that problem covered with the Ambien and Mirapex), and I'm exhausted and napping during the day again. It's a constant dull ache that spreads down my legs, with sharp, loud cracks whenever I move my knees wrong. It hurts to walk, it hurts to stand, it hurts to move...and I tripped on a cable Hubby has on the floor because I can't quite pick my left foot up high enough these days. And to add to the fun, my carpal tunnel is acting up, and I can't hold onto things or type easily; I have to check and double-check because I keep hitting the wrong keys.

Because I'm not walking right, my hips and lower back have started hurting, too. I know I have arthritis in my knees, and I suspect it's migrated to my hips and back, too. Now I just have to get it all under control before Tuesday, because I'm working next week. I'm so frustrated because I can't seem to get anything done. It bites.

H

HaoZi

I hope this passes soon KT. I have bone aches from old injuries that flare up in certain weather, but nowhere near as bad, I can't imagine it. *hugs* I did find with my carpal tunnel that dumping foods with a lot of FD&C yellow #5 helped mitigate it some (I've had it since I was 16 or 17).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ouch, ouch, ouch.:(

My knees and ankles do that...........I've noticed I'm getting older. ugh I am so short my feet never touch the ground when I sit in a chair ect so I tend to usually sit cross-legged (indian style). It's catching up with me as if I do it too much or the day is chilly and damp they snap crackle pop and ache terribly. Problem is when I try to sit like everyone else.........my feet and ankles swell due to the kidneys and then they hurt. lol I can't win.:tongue:

You could try I nice long hot bath. Wet heat tends to penetrate deeper. Then maybe an electric blanket if you have one.

Hope it stops soon. I had terrible arthritis as a child for years (after effects of rheumatic fever). I feel for you.

((hugs))

Lothlorien

I think it's time to go to the orthopedic surgeon. You probably need to be tested for rheumatoid, but also polymyalgia rheumatica (a contracted inflammatory process). Gout may also be a possiblity. You are too young to have such severe debilitating arthritis, so there may be something else making the arthritis progress, or something like above. You may just need a course of prednisone. Go get it checked. The inflammation you are experiencing can lead to other problems if not taken care of.

DammitJanet

I am right there with you hun. Can you get to a pain management clinic yet or do you still have insurance issues? One thing that I am trying right now for the actual inflammation pain is ketoprofen. It seems to help me more than any of the other "inflammatory" medications. I say it that way because thats what Cory calls them...hehehe. He is so funny sometimes.

I still take methadone for all over pain but dang my joints kill me and feel like they are bone on bone just grinding away. It has gotten so bad that I wake up in the morning and my hands are clenched and I have to slowly open them. Since taking the ketoprofen that is getting better. Hot baths do help if I put epsom salts in and peroxide. You can add a bit of bath oil to make it smell good.

KTMom91

I can't get in the tub anymore...I can't kneel. Those commercials where they say, "I've fallen and I can't get up!" are no longer funny, since the day I fell and couldn't get back up. Today was a good day, not a lot of pain, and no school till Monday, but I'm working 4 days next week. If it's a hard day, it takes me at least a day to recover. Nope. Monday through Thursday. And the carpal tunnel had me dropping pens, papers, paper clips, etc. all day long. I can't even wear my wedding ring because my hands are too swollen.I hate that the worst.

H

HaoZi

I don't recall swelling with carpal tunnel (not to me or anyone else I know with that exclusively), that sounds like more going on for sure. Do you have any kind of wrist braces for it? Also some people mistake ulnar nerve issues for carpal tunnel, the nerves affected by carpal tunnel directly affect the thumb and first two fingers, while the ulnar nerve will affect the ring and pinky fingers, but when you're on the comp a lot and leaning on that elbow clickety-clicking away you can damage both (yeah, done that, too). An elbow brace helps with the ulnar nerve issues. It's a pain, yes, but even if you only wear them at night and during day just something that reminds you to keep wrists and elbows straightened out it should help somewhat once you can get the other issues under some more control. Hope you're feeling better soon!

DammitJanet

Agree on the ulnar nerve. We thought mine was carpal tunnel until they did they nerve conduction test and found out it was the ulnar nerve.

I hate the tub too and wont do it unless someone is home to get me out of the tub. Yes it is embarrassing to have my grown kids have to come haul my ass out! Poor Keyana tries to help too...sigh. Then she says..."Grandma, you have a BIG booty! And its covered in suds! Im gonna help dry them off!" I dont know whether to laugh or cry to be honest...lmao. I mean I help dry her off so she is just trying to be helpful.

My biggest wish it to get one of those wonderful walk in tubs with the jets. You walk in, close the door and it fills up. You have a handheld shower head and you can turn on the jets...ahhh the life! If I ever get any money, that is the first thing I am remodeling.

KTMom91

After extensive testing, therapy, etc., because it was a job-related injury, I was found to be 10% permanently partially disabled by carpal tunnel. I don't remember what else they did or tested for; this was about 8 years ago. I agree there's probably more going on; I'm just kind of afraid to start a bunch of testing for different things while we're on COBRA. I don't want to take any chances on being ineligible for insurance once Hubby finishes school and starts working full time again.