NAMI Basics Class

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I signed up for a NAMI Basics class a while ago and got a phone call today from one of the instructors to tell me they were finally getting ready to conduct another class. It's been over a year since they hosted the last one.

I'm hopeful that I can attend this 6-week course. Unfortunately, there is a conflict with our soccer practice schedules for those Thursday nights it will be held, so I'll have to work with husband to figure out the logistics of getting three kids to their practices on time those nights. :(

smallworld

I trained to teach NAMI Basics in our area last January. But we've had a hard time getting it off the ground for two reasons: funding and getting enough participants to fill the class. Maybe that's going on in your area, too???

Hope you're able to attend. It's very worthwhile information.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
SW, I think attendee interest has been a big factor. That's another reason why I really want to make this work. If this one falls down, who knows when there will be another? And I need the info NOW, not in five years.

crazymama30

There are none of those classes offered in my area, it sounds pretty interesting. Hope you are able to go. I wonder if some of the reason that there are few participants is due to the stigma surrounding mentla illness?

Is Nami basics focused on young people? We did Family to Famiy: it was 12 week class. It was very excellent. We also have Nami meetings once a month and I get so much out of them. Sallie

KTMom91

We have a whole lot of nothing here. My options are to drive three hours to the Bay Area (which I have done, many times) or drive four or more hours to LA. And then, either find a hotel or turn around and drive home after the seminar/class/lecture. Done the turn-around trips so many times I can't even begin to tell you.

I'd like to hear more about what you're learning.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Our NAMI support here is sorely lacking as well. They offer no parent support and when I went to a meeting I was the only one there!
The moderator was leaving and she stayed to chat, :( but had no advice that would work for me having BiPolar (BP) or my kid.

I am trying to start a support group over on my side of town with a bunch of parents that includes all disorders. We are doing it through the School.

I hope your schedule fits this in, I wish I could take a class. I would drive up to Phoenix if I could get away.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, husband said he'll cover the practice schedules for the 6 Thursdays that I'll be in the class. :bigsmile: I'll let you know what I learn!

DammitJanet

I am still waiting to see if they are going to let me start my parenting support group at my therapy place. Im getting the sinking feeling it may be a no go because they cant bill for it. There was talk about hiring me as a "peer support" person because they found this position available somehow but just as fast as they found it, medicaid changed the rules and it dried up. LOL...just think, I would have gone back to work without really even knowing I was going to be thinking of going back to work! How many times do jobs just fall in ones lap?

Still, I keep telling them, I am not looking for a job, I am trying to give them a service for free. Im not asking them for a penny. All I want is paper, ink and a computer connection. They can do that. My therapist has offered to stay and oversee the group free too.

They talk about this NAMI Basics class too. I can bet the farm it isnt available here.

Christy

I'm so gald you will be able to attend. I found our local NAMI basics class to be excellent.

I took the class last spring and it was very informative. NAMI has put together a huge binder of information and hearing stories from other class members was equally beneficial. Our class had about had about 12 members and most had learned about the class through a newspaper article in the local paper.

If your local NAMI is having trouble finding attendees something like a newspaper article may help.

I posted a few weeks ago about many parents struggling with difficult children overlook NAMI because they don't consider their children mentally ill but I'd urge anyone struggling with a young difficult child to attend the Basics class if it is offered and to get involved in their local NAMI.